Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,450,242 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure Barry is not losing any
sleep on the haters. He got elected
again, so he must be good for some
people lol. just saying..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,038,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I'm pretty sure Barry is not losing any
sleep on the haters. He got elected
again
, so he must be good for some
people lol. just saying..
This why I question if the people who are voting for him really understand what they are doing. Technically he did not get elected, he just won a primary, which yes will probably mean he will be elected, given how heavily democratic Ward 8 is.

But again I will ask this question, can you name some things he had done for your community?

Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM

^ lol don't make me answer man, son.
Barry just seems like a very intelligent
person, despite the slurred speech and
negative press. a lot of people in dc
obviously love him, because he cares
about people.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,235,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
This why I question if the people who are voting for him really understand what they are doing. Technically he did not get elected, he just won a primary, which yes will probably mean he will be elected, given how heavily democratic Ward 8 is.

But again I will ask this question, can you name some things he had done for your community?
It's called democracy and why are you demonizing the ppl? They can choose who they want....you holding the ppl of Lousiana who re-elected a "John" Vitter to congress? What about Bush and his drug and alcohol ways? You questioning his supporters? How about the Clintons and all the scandals their involved in, yet considered transcendent leaders. Amazing how outsiders always want W8 to vote for who they like but would never be reciprocal...

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ lol don't make me answer man, son.
Barry just seems like a very intelligent
person, despite the slurred speech and
negative press. a lot of people in dc
obviously love him, because he cares
about people.
You are deflecting the question. Answer the question, what has he done for the city?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
It's called democracy and why are you demonizing the ppl? They can choose who they want....you holding the ppl of Lousiana who re-elected a "John" Vitter to congress? What about Bush and his drug and alcohol ways? You questioning his supporters? How about the Clintons and all the scandals their involved in, yet considered transcendent leaders. Amazing how outsiders always want W8 to vote for who they like but would never be reciprocal...
Weren't you the same guy calling out Newt Gingrich? How can you have different standards for public officials. If you are going to call out Gingrich then Barry is just as culpable. I mean he has actually broken laws. To me they have both done wrong. You seem to have the same mentality that many residents have. You are brain washed. When the leader is black and/or a democrat then it's okay for him to break the law and do unethical things, but if he is a republican or anything other than black and/or democrat you are ready to get rid of him. I don't hold any of these leaders on a pedestal like you do. If Barry is wrong, he is wrong. I wouldn't want a man who's going to a Democratic conventions and getting caught asking for fellatio with his girlfriend, to represent my city. Sorry for having standards!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,197,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I can't speak for Mr. Barry's living conditions but financially he's doing just fine. So I wouldn't go calling him or any DC councilmembers self sacrificing saints when they're pulling in six figures.

D.C. Council members bring in second-highest salaries among big cities | Washington Examiner
I think you and QB misunderstood what I was trying to say. Or maybe I didn't word it correctly. Barry has been in power for more than four decades. He only has his salary which is a pretty nice living. I am not trying to conjure up any sympathy because I would love for him to good away. In his heyday, he unethically helped out a lot of his friends and cronies with tax payer money, which in turn, kept him in power. He made people rich but he himself never got rich. He's far from it. His living conditions are meager by middle class standards but he has the council's salary.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
You are deflecting the question. Answer the question, what has he done for the city?

I can answer your question! Lately he hasn't done anything positive in my eyes but rewind back 40 years ago, Barry came along when there was a lot of racial tension as blacks looked to gain equal footing with whites in a multitude of industries, government as well as the private sector.

Barry empowered a lot of black people in the city and he also helped a lot of black businesses by ethical and unethical means. Some of the same things the "good ole boys club" was doing in politics, Barry was able to do with minorities. He was a voice when a lot of people didn't have a voice. Is he a crook? By all means yes, but at one time, he represented so much more to DC.

The older generation loves him because they remember the good times. My generation (30-40's) remembers summer youth jobs for everyone but he we also remember the drug scandals and poor city services and the Control Board oversight. I can keep going on and on. In the end, he was more of a thorn to progress in the city. Thank god, Anthony Williams came along to set the ship straight.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Weren't you the same guy calling out Newt Gingrich? How can you have different standards for public officials. If you are going to call out Gingrich then Barry is just as culpable. I mean he has actually broken laws. To me they have both done wrong. You seem to have the same mentality that many residents have. You are brain washed. When the leader is black and/or a democrat then it's okay for him to break the law and do unethical things, but if he is a republican or anything other than black and/or democrat you are ready to get rid of him. I don't hold any of these leaders on a pedestal like you do. If Barry is wrong, he is wrong. I wouldn't want a man who's going to a Democratic conventions and getting caught asking for fellatio with his girlfriend, to represent my city. Sorry for having standards!
Who says a black leader shouldn't be held accountable? That's a rash generalization even though I despise conservative politicians.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:

google it or read a history book, son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC