Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,873,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Halle Berry is insecure too. Popularity has nothing to do with how someone views themselves. Some of the most popular people in the world are insecure.
But the other posters believe Marion Berry is insecure because he's not part of the "in-crowd" of black DC. But what does it mean to be a black elite in DC? To me it means you have a higher than average paying job, you work a professional job where you wear a suit, and people look up to you and see you as a role model in society. Marion Berry has that. Why would he feel insecure in the Boule crowd? he's MARION BERRY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,014,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
But the other posters believe Marion Berry is insecure because he's not part of the "in-crowd" of black DC. But what does it mean to be a black elite in DC? To me it means you have a higher than average paying job, you work a professional job where you wear a suit, and people look up to you and see you as a role model in society. Marion Berry has that. Why would he feel insecure in the Boule crowd? he's MARION BERRY.
I don't think any of us can answer why he may feel insecure, anymore different then we wonder why Halle Barry is insecure. There are certainly things that he may do that gives you a feeling that he is, but it's impossible to know what he's feeling. I'm not at all saying that I agree with the notion that he is insecure or not, but I do believe that his status doesn't mean he isn't.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM

692 posts, read 1,734,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
It's called democracy and why are you demonizing the ppl? They can choose who they want....you holding the ppl of Lousiana who re-elected a "John" Vitter to congress? What about Bush and his drug and alcohol ways? You questioning his supporters? How about the Clintons and all the scandals their involved in, yet considered transcendent leaders. Amazing how outsiders always want W8 to vote for who they like but would never be reciprocal...
Thank you for this. Whenever a republican friend mentions Barry, Clinton, or any other democrat, I just say David Vitter. Then I mention Tom Delay, John Ensign, Duke Cunningham, and I could go on all day.

Even with all his faults he did start programs that helped the poor. The summer jobs program for example has helped a lot of teenagers over the years. Barry was considered a good and effective mayor in the beginning. But, I think he had too much control over time and was not questioned or challenged enough. Then drug abuse ruined what was left of his administration. Still people remember being out of work and being hired for city jobs. Those jobs helped a lot of families. People do not forget and fell the need to stick by the person that stood by them.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,181,514 times
Quote:
Marion Barry is insecure? I would have a hard time believing that. The man is a cult of personality. He's more famous than the people in the Boule, Morehouse/Howard crowd. If im well known enough that someone would post a city-data discussion on me, i would care less what the so-called black elites think.
He has always cared about what they thought of him. If you read any article about his life and upbringing, you would understand. When

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Marion Barry is insecure? I would have a hard time believing that. The man is a cult of personality. He's more famous than the people in the Boule, Morehouse/Howard crowd. If im well known enough that someone would post a city-data discussion on me, i would care less what the so-called black elites think.
He has always cared about what they thought of him. He was straight out of Mississippi and blacks in the north tend to look down on blacks from Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. Some still do until this day. Plus, the blacks he was dealing with were well-to-do and they thought he was ignorant. If you read any article about his life and upbringing, you would understand. When he first arrived in DC, they blacks here shunned him. His popularity turned for the better after he was shot by Hanifi Muslims in 1977.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,428,193 times
^ some blacks are more prejudice against their own people
than anything, and that's so stupid on many levels, but many
have been conditioned that way unfortunately. that's that
divided and conquered mentality.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,873,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
He has always cared about what they thought of him. He was straight out of Mississippi and blacks in the north tend to look down on blacks from Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. Some still do until this day. Plus, the blacks he was dealing with were well-to-do and they thought he was ignorant. If you read any article about his life and upbringing, you would understand. When he first arrived in DC, they blacks here shunned him. His popularity turned for the better after he was shot by Hanifi Muslims in 1977.
I haven't read anything on Marion Barry, but my question would be does he have an autobiography, or some type of documentary talking about his insecurities? And even if he did admit to any insecurities one would have to question if he is just playing the "game." Talking about one's insecurities in the media is one way to win the hearts of people; it's a way to look more "human" and gain popularity and influence. People would look at him and say "oh he's just like regular folk", when he isn't like regular folk. Being viewed as perfect or without any flaws is dangerous in the power game; it alienates people from you. That's Law 46 of the The 48 Laws of Power.

Law 46 - Never Appear too Perfect

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I haven't read anything on Marion Barry, but my question would be does he have an autobiography, or some type of documentary talking about his insecurities? And even if he did admit to any insecurities one would have to question if he is just playing the "game." Talking about one's insecurities in the media is one way to win the hearts of people; it's a way to look more "human" and gain popularity and influence. People would look at him and say "oh he's just like regular folk", when he isn't like regular folk. Being viewed as perfect or without any flaws is dangerous in the power game; it alienates people from you. That's Law 46 of the The 48 Laws of Power.

Law 46 - Never Appear too Perfect
I have read interviews from his close associates as well as his late wife Effi. They all mentioned that he always had to proved he belonged. DC has always been about the "haves and the haves not," so when Barry first came to DC, he was looked at as an outsider and a bumpkin. Walter Washington shunned him, the blacks with power also shunned him. Barry's entire platform derived from his ability to connect and relate with poor people. When he finally came to power, they had to play with him but he didn't forget where he came from and sort of wore it as a badge of honor.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:57 PM

13,681 posts, read 20,825,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have read interviews from his close associates as well as his late wife Effi. They all mentioned that he always had to proved he belonged. DC has always been about the "haves and the haves not," so when Barry first came to DC, he was looked at as an outsider and a bumpkin. Walter Washington shunned him, the blacks with power also shunned him. Barry's entire platform derived from his ability to connect and relate with poor people. When he finally came to power, they had to play with him but he didn't forget where he came from and sort of wore it as a badge of honor.
More or less correct.

Barry was viewed as a "Bama" by the Gold Coast Elite. I always think of the scene in Malcolm X where the snob dresses Malcolm Little down in the bar and Malcolm finally hits him with a bottle.

He was hardly the first politician to face snobbery. Harry Truman never attended college and some of the Eastern Elites never let him forget it.

Getting shot was a good way to build up some cred. He also scuffled with police over tickets- shape of things to come no doubt.

But I would add that he also did, at least at the beginning, a masterful job of wooing the white Upper NW vote. Indeed I met the Rogue Emeritus when I was 11 years old. He came to some neighbors BBQ and schmoozed with everyone. What upper crust blacks disdained, whites saw as folksy and unpretentious. Ironically, he ended up rejected by both.

Barry was a decent mayor during Term 1. However, since then he has shown what he always was: A two-bit, flim-flamming miscreant with a tremendous appetite for narcotic self-indulgence.

The only thing more pathetic than he is the segment of the population who eschew good government and keep electing this scuzz into office.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,125,268 times
I remember the crack epidemic in the '80s that practically destroyed D.C. And Barry, rather than trying to deal with the situation as the city's leader, was himself part of the problem by being a crack user. That's something that is unforgivable and far outweighs any good he may have done.

Last edited by r small; 05-29-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC