Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yeah, those videos definitely confirmed my thread revival post. The DC/PG Black accent and Tidewater/757 region Black accent share some words in each other's dialects but one side's accent sound even more on the Southern twangy side with some East Coast influences (Tidewater) whereas the other sound more on the East Coast side with some Southern influences (DC/PG).

Hampton Roads peeps are definitely our brethren nonetheless.
What do you mean by "East Coast" influences? You mean the non-rhotic pronunciation that is common from Maine down to Georgia? Because as far as East Coast linguistics commonalities, that seems to be the only one I can think of, with Philly and Baltimore being the exception (except South Philly).

I'm trying to understand this idea of "East Coast" sound in dialect. What exactly is it? Someone from 757 doesn't sound like someone from NYC, other than dropping the R. Vowels are different, as are colloquialisms. Help me understand what you mean by sounding "East Coast".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not a "Mid Atlantic dialect" if we are talking about what linguistic researchers refer to as a "Mid Atlantic dialect." Baltimore falls within that linguistic regional pattern but not the DC area.
Yup, the traditional Southern dialect is a non-rhotic pronunciation not heard in the Mid-Atlantic. Also, the Baltimore/Philly sound can also be called "Atlantic Midland", and it is at the southern edge of the Midland.

Quote:
Some linguists don't even acknowledge a Mid Atlantic dialect. They break Midland speech into Northern and Southern.
Yup, of which DC straddles between southern extremities of Midland, and Southern.

Quote:
It's impossible to get sense of how many people speak a certain way through YouTube videos since there are only a handful of samples from a region of millions. In my experience, the accent ranges from General American (neutral) to Southern. The more education, the closer to General American people tend to sound.
Which is why many people from DC have no discernible regional accent. Blacks from DC can sound pretty Southern with a hint of Midland pronunciation found in Southern extremities of the Midland dialect.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
People from DC, Maryland and Virginia sound similar to me. The accents sound a little bit more northern the farther north you go and a little bit more southern the farther south you go from Washington, DC, but they still sound relative to each other really.

Basically, people in that area don't sound as far away from Washington, DC as Pennsylvania or North Carolina.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People from DC, Maryland and Virginia sound similar to me. The accents sound a little bit more northern the farther north you go and a little bit more southern the farther south you go from Washington, DC, but they still sound relative to each other really.

Basically, people don't sound as far away from Washington, DC as Pennsylvania or North Carolina
I feel like NOVA people speak General American for the most part, as do Whites around DC suburbs of Maryland.

In fact I'd be hard pressed to find a White person from DC around my age (29) that has any discernible accent. But the ones that do have a Southern-lite accent.

I will disagree on the North Carolina thing, though. At least in Baltimore there is a hint of the Carolinas left in the Black population's dialect.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:19 PM

^ I agree with you on that. Whites don't sound ethnic or very country in any way around that area, even tho they still sound Virginian.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I agree with you on that. Whites don't sound ethnic or very country in any way around that area, even tho they still sound Virginian.
You know what I think a Southern-lite accent can sound like? Almost Californian.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM

^ I agree with you on that too. You know people from Virginia love the water and all types of rad stuff. It kind of reminds me of a California on the east coast really.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,374 times
@PurpleHaze1100, there isn't a big difference between the Baltimore and DC accent, so if you say "DC accent isn't distinctive", that also applies to Baltimore's accent. DC also pronounces ready as "rey", depending on the usage and context. While no one would use it as "I'm rey" or "you rey?" They would say "I'm gi (get) rey (ready) go" or "They alrey (already) left". DC has the "dee" at the end of the days of the week as well (we alternate between "dee" and "day"), and pronounces "Saturday" as "Surrrdee" or “Surrday”. "Water" is pronounced as "warda" but without the "r" or as "wuda"; it sounds like “or” with a light “r” or stressed “u”. The phonetic spelling is not always accurate when trying to capture the differences in black speech. The word "Alley" is pronounced as "Ailley" or "Illey", in DC, and even the word "everybody" is pronounced as "errrybahee" with the "d" completely dropped. Another example is "wanna" pronounced as "wuun". Ex. "What you wuun do today?" or "Iown (don't) wuun do nothin' today".

In words, you said that DC has so much slang because we have no distinct accent, but you are incorrect in your assessment. DC certainly has a recognizable accent, and slang has absolutely nothing to do with accents. Accents are the pronounciations of words and are many times interconnected with Dialects. Dialects are word usage and meaning along with pronunciations, and slang can be a part of a dialect, but has absolutely nothing to do with accents. I can hear a person from DC speak without using slang, and easily recognize their DC accent.

Here is a perfect example of a DC accent (without slang). I knew he was from DC as soon as I heard him speak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA8hakePj2c

Last edited by LeoSunScorpioMoon; 06-19-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Even the Baltimore dialect spans a continuum between the Midland and the Southern region. Baltimore speakers have more Southern pronunciations than Philly speakers despite both being Midland dialects. This gives Baltimore more of a drawl than Philly, but it still maintains strong rhoticity, and inconsistent glide deletion. Like is pronounced "luik" and not "lahk" like in the Deep South. In fact, even places like Kentucky are similar in which glide deletion happens only SOME of the time, not all of it. Consistent glide deletion like "nahs waht rahs" (nice white rice) is only a Deep South thing.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoSunScorpioMoon View Post
@PurpleHaze1100, there isn't a big difference between the Baltimore and DC accent, so if you say "DC accent isn't distinctive", that also applies to Baltimore's accent. DC also pronounces ready as "rey", depending on the usage and context. While no one would use it as "I'm rey" or "you rey?" They would say "I'm gi (get) rey (ready) go" or "They alrey (already) left". DC has the "dee" at the end of the days of the week as well (we alternate between "dee" and "day"), and pronounces "Saturday" as "Surrrdee" or “Surrday”. "Water" is pronounced as "warda" but without the "r" or as "wuda"; it sounds like “or” with a light “r” or stressed “u”. The phonetic spelling is not always accurate when trying to capture the differences in black speech. The word "Alley" is pronounced as "Ailley" or "Illey", in DC, and even the word "everybody" is pronounced as "errrybahee" with the "d" completely dropped. Another example is "wanna" pronounced as "wuun". Ex. "What you wuun do today?" or "Iown (don't) wuun do nothin' today".

In words, you said that DC has so much slang because we have no distinct accent, but you are incorrect in your assessment. DC certainly has a recognizable accent, and slang has absolutely nothing to do with accents. Accents are the pronounciations of words and are many times interconnected with Dialects. Dialects are word usage and meaning along with pronunciations, and slang can be a part of a dialect, but has absolutely nothing to do with accents. I can hear a person from DC speak without using slang, and easily recognize their DC accent.

Here is a perfect example of a DC accent (without slang). I knew he was from DC as soon as I heard him speak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA8hakePj2c
Baltimoreans do be sounding quite....different lol but I do see and agree with your point though, great post! Good ear with the dude in the video, sounds like a typical Southside DC accent.

Btw for "everybody", that is true but another common pronunciation is "urrybody".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: