Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times

Advertisements

^ That guy sounds like a born and raised DCer, no doubt about it. I can hear it in his voice all day.

Baltimore has a much quirkier sounding accent than DC. It seems like they speak with a higher-pitched sound in their voice somewhat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:29 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ That guy sounds like a born and raised DCer, no doubt about it. I can hear it in his voice all day.

Baltimore has a much quirkier sounding accent than DC. It seems like they speak with a higher-pitched sound in their voice somewhat.
Baltimore sounds super nasal in their speech, especially Whites. Like they're holding their breath when they talk.

Blacks in Baltimore even have a bit of that nasal speech but not as much. Blacks of course will have quite the drawl when saying the "u" sound. I don't care who disagrees but I think the Baltimore accent on women is sexy.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Baltimoreans do be sounding quite....different lol but I do see and agree with your point though, great post! Good ear with the dude in the video, sounds like a typical Southside DC accent.

Btw for "everybody", that is true but another common pronunciation is "urrybody".
See and this is more of a thing heard in the Midland. A strong rhotic area straddling the South will create terms like "urrybody" in DC and "thurr" in St. Louis. You don't hear people in the South or the North talk like this but you do in the Midland.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Baltimore sounds super nasal in their speech, especially Whites. Like they're holding their breath when they talk.

Blacks in Baltimore even have a bit of that nasal speech but not as much. Blacks of course will have quite the drawl when saying the "u" sound. I don't care who disagrees but I think the Baltimore accent on women is sexy.
Now that I think about it, a lot of Baltimoreans do sound kinda on the British side of things....Like in a North of England kind of accent and dialect. The DC/PG accent might be the same way as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Now that I think about it, a lot of Baltimoreans do sound kinda on the British side of things....Like in a North of England kind of accent and dialect. The DC/PG accent might be the same way as well.
You are so pressed for PG and DC to have the same accent as Baltimore. Baltimore historically has had an accent develop due to the blue collar culture something DC and PG didn't come up with

Old 06-22-2015, 10:20 PM

Apparently the Bmore accent is West English influenced. Sort of a rhotic Liverpool-like sound. Imitate one of the Fab Four, mark your R's strongly, and add in a tense-lax split. You'll almost have it.

Baltimore is what happens when the Appalachian tongues are mixed with the Tidewater sound and you get a real unique mix with this combination. It's sort of like a West Virginian and a Virginian from the Hampton Roads had a child. Of course it doesn't stop there, because the weird tense-lax split that even most Americans would think was odd is part of the dialect, too. Wonder if this tense-lax split comes from how some immigrant groups tense their A's and how some use the lax pronunciation, leading to a combined, non-rhyming scheme or words like "meead" and "sad" (mad and sad). While most Americans do have a tense-lax split, Baltimoreans and other Mid-Atlantic speakers have weird rules like how mass and Massachusetts don't have the same vowel sound for mass. Definitely unique and even in NYC it makes no sense. In this way, Baltimore is more of a weird hybrid of what would happen if a Philadelphian moved to the Hampton Roads, and spent formative years in West Virginia. Being a Midland dialect it ends up being the most Southern sounding but it doesn't quite make the mark of a fully Southern dialect in the White population because of the weird tense-lax thing it shares with Philadelphia, the standard Midland sound of the East Coast. Blacks there do have more of a Southern thing going but not at all like Blacks in the Deep South. Blacks in the Deep South speak a non-rhotic (strongly) dialect where as Baltimore Blacks love the letter R and also might have a tense-lax split despite stronger glide deletion. It's like listening to a Mississippi Black person vs. a Kentuckian. They don't sound alike. Maybe vowel sounds but still different.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 06-22-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
You are so pressed for PG and DC to have the same accent as Baltimore. Baltimore historically has had an accent develop due to the blue collar culture something DC and PG didn't come up with
Pressed? Hardly lol, but thanks for the chuckle. It is what it is. Both cities share the "R" thing in our dialects who's origin can be traced to the Tidewater region in SE Virginia. That's about it as far as lingual influence between the two. Other than that, most of you Baltimoreans sound more slurry to my ears however. Last I checked, you're the same person who constantly kept claiming that DC/PG peeps don't have an accent and many of us including myself have told you otherwise. There aren't many factory workers around here but you don't gotta work in a giant smokestack to be working class/blue collar. I seriously hope you're not thinking about making yet another BS debate out of it, it's become quite boring honestly.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Apparently the Bmore accent is West English influenced. Sort of a rhotic Liverpool-like sound. Imitate one of the Fab Four, mark your R's strongly, and add in a tense-lax split. You'll almost have it.

Baltimore is what happens when the Appalachian tongues are mixed with the Tidewater sound and you get a real unique mix with this combination. It's sort of like a West Virginian and a Virginian from the Hampton Roads had a child. Of course it doesn't stop there, because the weird tense-lax split that even most Americans would think was odd is part of the dialect, too. Wonder if this tense-lax split comes from how some immigrant groups tense their A's and how some use the lax pronunciation, leading to a combined, non-rhyming scheme or words like "meead" and "sad" (mad and sad). While most Americans do have a tense-lax split, Baltimoreans and other Mid-Atlantic speakers have weird rules like how mass and Massachusetts don't have the same vowel sound for mass. Definitely unique and even in NYC it makes no sense.
Probably explains the "police" and "polease" pronunciation.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Quote:

Blacks in Baltimore even have a bit of that nasal speech but not as much.
Yeah some of them sound kind of annoying to me, like they're judging you from the break.
Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Yac; 06-24-2015 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: