Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMitchell View Post
I don't need a nightlife or metro
Then move to the suburbs.

In the meantime, I will fist-bump the non-existent "everyday thugs" who line every single inch of sidewalk south of the Mall or East Capitol, including those outside Peregrine Espresso, Senart's Oyster House, L. Wisdom: cocktail parlour, CityZen at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, the Peacock Room at the Freer Gallery, the First Ladies' Water Garden, Generals' Row at Fort McNair, the East Potomac Golf Course, the Bureau of Engraving, the valet bicycle parking lot at Nationals Park, the Capital Yacht Club, and OMG it's the single worst corner in all town, the Folger Shakespeare Library.

Like wow, look at this gang (of musicians) I saw in SE just last weekend!

And all these ne'er-do-wells loitering at parks in SW, just mugging away (for the cameras)!

Last edited by paytonc; 05-09-2012 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM

81 posts, read 216,932 times
LOL, I was just about to recommend SW (I've lived there for 4 years now). There are a couple of project buildings, but I've never had any issues with the residents. I regularly walk to work, go jogging, and visit the wharf and have never had a problem. It has the lowest crime rate of all the quadrants.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
If you don't want the metro or nightlife, then why would you want to live in Dupont and Adams Morgan, two neighborhoods whose rental values are greatly inflated by the fact that they are close to nightlife and the metro?
I agree, the suburbs make sense for you.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,434 times
Quote:
I heard bad things about those areas... i know plenty of people that have been there and said they had to move to due the everyday "Thugs" harassing them as they walked pass... it was just too much
Oh Jesus H Christ.

I'm a single white female that maybe MAYBE can weigh in at 140 lbs on a good day and guess what? I LIVE IN THE HOOD.

Where are you getting your information from? Who are these "plenty of people" you know that are saying the hood is a horrible, third world Calcutta where you fear for your life on a daily basis?

Let me tell you... I have a neighbor who writes for the Washington Post. My other neighbor goes to school full time. Most of my neighbors work, pay taxes, pay speed camera fines and live their lives just like everyone else in this town. Me? I'm a world-renowned financial reporter whose work has been mentioned in the Post, New York Times, the Financial Times, and TIME just to name just a few. AND I LIVE IN SOUTHEAST.

Have you actually talked to anyone who lives down here? It's fantastic (and you can believe me because I actually live here, unlike people who don't who might tell you "OH GOD DON'T GO DOWN THERE!"). The only downside is no retail or bars, but what do I care, I work two jobs and don't have time to be hanging out at the bar every other night.

I pay FAR less than most people in this town and live way better given the fact that I have a parking spot, beautiful hardwood floors, granite in my kitchen, a washer/dryer and a landlady who actually cares about her tenant. You don't get that with a lot of cookie cutter apartment complexes in NW. I'm allowed to have three cats, two of whom are saved from Washington Humane Society, and no I don't have to pay an extra $200 a month because of them, all I had to do was text my landlady when I was at the shelter and say "Hey, I'm getting a kitten and they might call you to make sure that's cool, are we cool?" Not ONE TIME have I EVER been hassled by ANYONE in my neighborhood. The neighborhood kids love me because I'm the cool tattooed lady who says what's up to them like human beings are supposed to.

It's a major metropolitan area. If you're afraid of a "bad neighborhood," perhaps you should move to the sticks where crime allegedly never happens. Otherwise, get over it. And stop making it seem like my neighborhood is hell, I resent that.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 15,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Oh Jesus H Christ.

I'm a single white female that maybe MAYBE can weigh in at 140 lbs on a good day and guess what? I LIVE IN THE HOOD.

Where are you getting your information from? Who are these "plenty of people" you know that are saying the hood is a horrible, third world Calcutta where you fear for your life on a daily basis?

Let me tell you... I have a neighbor who writes for the Washington Post. My other neighbor goes to school full time. Most of my neighbors work, pay taxes, pay speed camera fines and live their lives just like everyone else in this town. Me? I'm a world-renowned financial reporter whose work has been mentioned in the Post, New York Times, the Financial Times, and TIME just to name just a few. AND I LIVE IN SOUTHEAST.

Have you actually talked to anyone who lives down here? It's fantastic (and you can believe me because I actually live here, unlike people who don't who might tell you "OH GOD DON'T GO DOWN THERE!"). The only downside is no retail or bars, but what do I care, I work two jobs and don't have time to be hanging out at the bar every other night.

I pay FAR less than most people in this town and live way better given the fact that I have a parking spot, beautiful hardwood floors, granite in my kitchen, a washer/dryer and a landlady who actually cares about her tenant. You don't get that with a lot of cookie cutter apartment complexes in NW. I'm allowed to have three cats, two of whom are saved from Washington Humane Society, and no I don't have to pay an extra $200 a month because of them, all I had to do was text my landlady when I was at the shelter and say "Hey, I'm getting a kitten and they might call you to make sure that's cool, are we cool?" Not ONE TIME have I EVER been hassled by ANYONE in my neighborhood. The neighborhood kids love me because I'm the cool tattooed lady who says what's up to them like human beings are supposed to.

It's a major metropolitan area. If you're afraid of a "bad neighborhood," perhaps you should move to the sticks where crime allegedly never happens. Otherwise, get over it. And stop making it seem like my neighborhood is hell, I resent that.
Im a 19 year old white male. I turn 20 very soon. Trust me I know a lot of people that either witnessed... been apart... or seen with their own eyes.. Anyways is there any suburbs in dc? or should I look for a suburban place in Maryland?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Im a 19 year old white male. I turn 20 very soon. Trust me I know a lot of people that either witnessed... been apart... or seen with their own eyes.. Anyways is there any suburbs in dc? or should I look for a suburban place in Maryland?
Try the Maryland forums.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:03 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Keith, you sound too fearful to live in the city. There is a little bit of crime everywhere. Total and complete safety doesn't exist. I suspect the people you talk to are of the same mindset as you so they will imagine risk because they have fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:20 AM

219 posts, read 595,077 times
Quote:
I'm extremely sorry if i offended you, I would just prefer to live somewhere up north.. NW or NE..

Not sure who told you NE is safe b/c a lot parts in NE is very crime ridden. SW and SE (Capitol Hill neighborhood) are actually pretty safe. And all of NW has had it's shares of armed robberies and attacks, as a matter of fact not too long ago a guy was randomly attacking ppl with a claw hammer in a NW neighborhood. But that is life in any densly populated large city...

I think you should look in the suburbs, because you sound a little too scared to live in DC proper and also nightlife and metro access isn't important to you, plus it will be a bit cheaper. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Northern Virginia and MoCo, MD that are pretty safe. Arlington, VA or Bethesda, MD may be a good fit for you and they both have metro access just in case you want to go in the city on the weekends. Are you going to be working in DC, Maryland, or VA? Just asking b/c you may want to stay close to work if you are driving.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
Not sure who told you NE is safe b/c a lot parts in NE is very crime ridden.
Probably the same people who told him Capitol Hill is a frightening, awful place where you will get harassed by thugs everywhere you go.

Granted, there ARE thugs on the Hill but not the kind this guy thinks they are.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:39 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
KeithMitchell - Let me get this straight......you are posting on a DC forum, ASKING ADVICE, but completely dismissing every piece of advice you are getting?

Hmm, why don't you ask all of your friends, who have been so traumatized by SE and SW where to live? Why are you bothering to ask us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: