Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM

219 posts, read 595,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
KeithMitchell - Let me get this straight......you are posting on a DC forum, ASKING ADVICE, but completely dismissing every piece of advice you are getting?

Hmm, why don't you ask all of your friends, who have been so traumatized by SE and SW where to live? Why are you bothering to ask us?

!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
yep but it still might be scary lol.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
If you live with roommates then yes it is possible.

Otherwise you've either got to get a very high-paying job or win the lottery.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMitchell View Post
I posted on here before and decided on renting a 1 bedroom but i didn't want to pay close to $2000 a month just on rent... just to live in a nice neighborhood and not "the hood". Does anyone know of 1 bedroom apartments (max budget of 1400) with parking and air conditioning I can control? I don't need a nightlife or metro... also it has to be north im avoiding SW SE at all cost
What's the point of moving into the city, if you need a parking space?

A car-centric existance just seems better to be in VA or MD...

Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the point of moving into the city, if you need a parking space?

A car-centric existance just seems better to be in VA or MD...
If you're sheltered and afraid of unsavory characters lurking everywhere, the idea of having to ride Metro might be scary.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM

18 posts, read 36,056 times
Every one of these threads turns out like this.

Young, white professional unfamiliar with the city comes here looking for advice on a "safe", affordable place to live and the defenders come out screeching and howling

Look, OP, I'm a fellow young white professional. You couldn't pay me to live in SE. I wont even ride the Metro in there. And I could give a rats ass what anybody thinks. Screw political correctness. DC has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I know plenty of people who have been victimized.

As others have pointed out, parts of SW are nice and parts of NE are bad, so don't go purely by region. Within the city neighborhoods can change from block to block. It helps to visit and get a feel for the place.

Your best option is to find a roommate. Then you can pretty much live wherever.

If you prefer to live alone, consider a studio or efficiency. There are some bargains out there but you have to look.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp916 View Post

Young, white professional unfamiliar with the city comes here looking for advice on a "safe", affordable place to live and the defenders come out screeching and howling

Look, OP, I'm a fellow young white professional. You couldn't pay me to live in SE. I wont even ride the Metro in there. And I could give a rats ass what anybody thinks. Screw political correctness. DC has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I know plenty of people who have been victimized.

As others have pointed out, parts of SW are nice and parts of NE are bad, so don't go purely by region. Within the city neighborhoods can change from block to block. It helps to visit and get a feel for the place.

If you prefer to live alone, consider a studio or efficiency. There are some bargains out there but you have to look.
If this were the 90s, sure. DC crime has been on a downward spiral for the last what...3-5 years?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times
Quote:

LOL, spoken like a true NOVA resident.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:52 AM

13 posts, read 15,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
Not sure who told you NE is safe b/c a lot parts in NE is very crime ridden. SW and SE (Capitol Hill neighborhood) are actually pretty safe. And all of NW has had it's shares of armed robberies and attacks, as a matter of fact not too long ago a guy was randomly attacking ppl with a claw hammer in a NW neighborhood. But that is life in any densly populated large city...

I think you should look in the suburbs, because you sound a little too scared to live in DC proper and also nightlife and metro access isn't important to you, plus it will be a bit cheaper. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Northern Virginia and MoCo, MD that are pretty safe. Arlington, VA or Bethesda, MD may be a good fit for you and they both have metro access just in case you want to go in the city on the weekends. Are you going to be working in DC, Maryland, or VA? Just asking b/c you may want to stay close to work if you are driving.
i will be working in dc. would you consinder silver spring suburban?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,946 times
Quote:

So you wouldn't ride the metro to Eastern Market because it's in SE? All those white yuppies pushing strollers and buying fresh produce and tilapia must be really scary, right?
What a joke. You're clearly very ignorant about the area you live in. Either you think SE is much more dangerous than it is, or you haven't even looked at a map and seen what constitutes SE. You know that SE is much more than just Anacostia, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: