Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 PM

585 posts, read 2,016,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp916 View Post
Every one of these threads turns out like this.

Young, white professional unfamiliar with the city comes here looking for advice on a "safe", affordable place to live and the defenders come out screeching and howling

Look, OP, I'm a fellow young white professional. You couldn't pay me to live in SE. I wont even ride the Metro in there. And I could give a rats ass what anybody thinks. Screw political correctness. DC has one of the highest crime rates in the country. I know plenty of people who have been victimized.

As others have pointed out, parts of SW are nice and parts of NE are bad, so don't go purely by region. Within the city neighborhoods can change from block to block. It helps to visit and get a feel for the place.

Your best option is to find a roommate. Then you can pretty much live wherever.

If you prefer to live alone, consider a studio or efficiency. There are some bargains out there but you have to look.
What about OP's atrocious grammar and spelling tells you he is a "young white professional"?

It isn't about political correctness, it's about recognizing the very unique makeup of each area of this city, a city that has made huge strides over time on the crime front. Does that mean we all hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Of course not, it's a major city. But isn't that why any person unfamiliar with the city would even come on here and ask? OP asked, we answered.

Everyone on this thread attempted to give OP advice that he did not want. Others attempted to address his incorrect stereotypes, stereotypes he clung to based on what other, unnamed people he could not identify said. People on this thread pointing out Petworth isn't exactly Georgetown were attempting to do the kid a favor and prove that the two letters after your address aren't all there is to this city. Had OP left it at "I don't want to live in the hood," I think everyone here could have better guided him but he had to go the extra mile by proving his ignorance with "not SW or SE" - because again, we all know how dangerous Eastern Market is. OH THE HUMANITY.

And yes, please don't come down to this part of SE (but by all means, you're missing out if you won't even venture to Eastern Market... oh well, your loss). We reached our limit on young, white professionals when I moved down here, I think we can only fit 2 a year lest it become a race to gentrification.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMitchell View Post
i will be working in dc. would you consinder silver spring suburban?
You need to get way further out in the suburbs to be safe. Try Cleveland.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM

66 posts, read 173,371 times
On one hand I'd like to go out of my way to call the OP out on his laughable stereotypes of DC neighborhoods and his ridiculous I'm-19-and-I-know-it-all attitude, but on the other hand- why bother? This isn't the kind of person we want moving into the cool up-and-coming neighborhoods of DC. I can just imagine him shaking like a leaf on the green line, tucking his cash into his shoe and eyeing the black commuters with disdain. OP- find a place in Arlington or Bethesda- you'll fit in nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: