Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 04:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times

Advertisements

I don't think you actually read my posts. I never said or implied anything close to this:

Quote:
You just want positive, pro-DC comments on this sub-forum. I get it. Fine.
Must be nice to live in such and black and white world. Keep talk radio alive, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't think you actually read my posts. I never said or implied anything close to this:

Must be nice to live in such and black and white world. Keep talk radio alive, man.
I've noticed that broad, sweeping opinions about D.C. THAT ARE POSITIVE ONLY are not met with venom from those who see nothing bad about D.C. so I will just go along to get along and post PRO D.C. YAY!!

{Note to those who don't live in the DMV, are thinking about moving to D.C. and wish to read ALL opinions about life around town - even the negative ones...no need because when it comes to D.C. ITS ALL GOOD!! }

Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,637,059 times
Came back from DC last night. Wasn't there very long so feel like I just scratched the surface, nevertheless I saw all the main landmarks and walked around downtown as that's where my hotel was. The main things that struck me were how clean and green the city was. Clean is big for me as I still can't get used to NYC/NJ dirty/trashy situation. I actually almost put my suitcase in what looked like a huge pile of human sh1t when I was bout to board my bus near Madison Square Garden. This the type of sh1t that angers me round here. In DC, maybe its cuz I didn't get to see any hood parts, but overall the city seems very eye pleasing, esp coming from my NJ gutter, Arlington, VA was cool too. Some parts of the metro area reminded me of Pacific NW somewhat when I was on the freeways-the greenery was really dense. I noticed the city is modern, but with old style Greek Parthenon style architecture at the same time, which I liked a lot. A lot of buildings did look similar to Moscow (my hometown). Downtown felt a little unusual cuz its low rise, still pretty vibrant, upscale and cosmopolitan, people dress well, a lot of professionals of all colors. DC is unique, and I can't really compare it with anything, def nothing like NYC, much more laid back so for someone who is used to NYC, DC will obviously not work. For me though it just might, but it's hard to tell right now-I wanna come back and spend more time so I can actually check out the nightlife and everything else more thoroughly, for sure got a great first impression though.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,413 times
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Based on your brief description it sounds like you stuck to the tourist and business areas.
Be sure you check out the areas where DC residents actually work and play. I am talking about U Street nw between 18th and 9th, 14th st nw between U and M, Adams Morgan, Columbia heights, Mount Pleasant, Capitol Hill, H st Ne, and more.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Came back from DC last night. Wasn't there very long so feel like I just scratched the surface, nevertheless I saw all the main landmarks and walked around downtown as that's where my hotel was. The main things that struck me were how clean and green the city was. Clean is big for me as I still can't get used to NYC/NJ dirty/trashy situation. I actually almost put my suitcase in what looked like a huge pile of human sh1t when I was bout to board my bus near Madison Square Garden. This the type of sh1t that angers me round here. In DC, maybe its cuz I didn't get to see any hood parts, but overall the city seems very eye pleasing, esp coming from my NJ gutter, Arlington, VA was cool too. Some parts of the metro area reminded me of Pacific NW somewhat when I was on the freeways-the greenery was really dense. I noticed the city is modern, but with old style Greek Parthenon style architecture at the same time, which I liked a lot. A lot of buildings did look similar to Moscow (my hometown). Downtown felt a little unusual cuz its low rise, still pretty vibrant, upscale and cosmopolitan, people dress well, a lot of professionals of all colors. DC is unique, and I can't really compare it with anything, def nothing like NYC, much more laid back so for someone who is used to NYC, DC will obviously not work. For me though it just might, but it's hard to tell right now-I wanna come back and spend more time so I can actually check out the nightlife and everything else more thoroughly, for sure got a great first impression though.
Glad you enjoyed your first visit to DC. It sounds like you had a good introduction to the city. As stateofnature said, on your next trip make sure to check out the many neighborhoods in DC and the kinds of places you will actually be staying in if you decide to move here. The DC area is quite varied and the suburbs are significant to the area, so also check out some inner suburbs like Alexandria, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Kensington, Springfield, College Park, Riverdale, Tysons Corner, etc... to get a feel for the region as a whole.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Based on your brief description it sounds like you stuck to the tourist and business areas.
Be sure you check out the areas where DC residents actually work and play. I am talking about U Street nw between 18th and 9th, 14th st nw between U and M, Adams Morgan, Columbia heights, Mount Pleasant, Capitol Hill, H st Ne, and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Glad you enjoyed your first visit to DC. It sounds like you had a good introduction to the city. As stateofnature said, on your next trip make sure to check out the many neighborhoods in DC and the kinds of places you will actually be staying in if you decide to move here. The DC area is quite varied and the suburbs are significant to the area, so also check out some inner suburbs like Alexandria, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Kensington, Springfield, College Park, Riverdale, Tysons Corner, etc... to get a feel for the region as a whole.
for sure

Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I've noticed that broad, sweeping opinions about D.C. THAT ARE POSITIVE ONLY are not met with venom from those who see nothing bad about D.C. so I will just go along to get along and post PRO D.C. YAY!!

{Note to those who don't live in the DMV, are thinking about moving to D.C. and wish to read ALL opinions about life around town - even the negative ones...no need because when it comes to D.C. ITS ALL GOOD!! }
I have never seen any poster on here who sees nothing bad about D.C., least of all me, so you're wrong about that extreme caricature.

Regarding your broader point, let's do an exercise in logic: If I were to say I thought your posts were really ignorant (hypothetically), I would suspect you would respond with a great deal more venom than if I said I thought your posts were really insightful and brilliant (hypothetically). So, why, for example, would anyone attack OleSchoolFool's observations above regarding his recent trip here? They're his opinions based on his experience - not a sweeping generalization of millions of people he doesn't know - and you want us to attack him for thinking the city's clean? I just don't think your argument has been thought out. Anyway - I'm done. Hopefully next time you visit DC you'll explore different areas and talk to different people to see that most don't ascribe to your perception and most certainly don't think this is the greatest place to be.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM

144 posts, read 259,672 times
I thought DC had hot chicks until I realized that the vast majority of them were tourists.

In short, for single young men:

Social life - prepare to come here with one;

Dating - prepare to take one for the team and date a few overweight chicks that make somewhere slightly north of the poverty line;

Rent - better than NYC by far, but pretty expensive still

Nightlife - only 4 places to go: Gtown (douches and expensive drinks), Dupont (better and more central, yet expensive drinks), U St. (less expensive drinks and my choice of place) and Adams Morgan (drunk frat guys and shady black people - sorry, but you know its true). H Street is a pain in the ass to get too so I'm not listing that here.

Look, if you can make a decent salary in NYC and have a good offer then do yourself a huge favor and go there. Chicago and SF are great places too...DC is fun for all about a year and then you realize what you're really missing out on.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:01 PM

do cops ever give tickets for loud car music? my sh1t was banging hard today and a cop actually stepped out his cruiser at a traffic light next to me and asked me to turn it down, my sub prolly had him shaking, no ticket tho
in nyc and urban jersey cops dont care usually, matta fact i recently stopped at a light in the middle of nypd precinct bumpin some rap sh1t with 15 white cops outside chillin and they were jus lookin at me smirkin

Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,247,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
do cops ever give tickets for loud car music? my sh1t was banging hard today and a cop actually stepped out his cruiser at a traffic light next to me and asked me to turn it down, my sub prolly had him shaking, no ticket tho
in nyc and urban jersey cops dont care usually, matta fact i recently stopped at a light in the middle of nypd precinct bumpin some rap sh1t with 15 white cops outside chillin and they were jus lookin at me smirkin
Yeah the cops are crazy strict in DC. I've heard of someone being pulled over for blowing their horn too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC