Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,253,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
They didn't say they were building just the D.C. to Baltimore line and it would be free. They said they would build a New York to D.C. line and they would pay for a small portion of it being the D.C. to Baltimore segment.
I wonder if a Boston to New York line will follow suit, especially considering the strong interconnectedness of the entire Northeast Corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM

27,793 posts, read 28,902,522 times
It's nice to dream about reaching New York City in less than 45 minutes.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,949,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Nothing is ever free, so they're gonna want something in return
Probably more containment on N.Korea given the country is potentially within range of some of their missiles. That's just my guess though.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,446,356 times
With all this free trade going around, anything is possible these days.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,707,351 times
I think we should take them up on their offer. Maglev is incredible and we could definitely use it. Perhaps this could be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 PM

13,052 posts, read 18,918,799 times
I'm 55 and as a child was duped by this society into believing the US would always be envied by the rest of the world because that was just the way it was meant to be. I feel like we've become about as envied by the rest of the world as the USSR was in 1980 when I read a book about life there.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM

835 posts, read 1,044,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm 55 and as a child was duped by this society into believing the US would always be envied by the rest of the world because that was just the way it was meant to be. I feel like we've become about as envied by the rest of the world as the USSR was when I read a book in 1980 about life there.
We shine in other places as a country.

But I get what you're saying, you're not going to see the streets paved with gold that people expect.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 PM

27,793 posts, read 28,902,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm 55 and as a child was duped by this society into believing the US would always be envied by the rest of the world because that was just the way it was meant to be. I feel like we've become about as envied by the rest of the world as the USSR was in 1980 when I read a book about life there.
Much of the world has improved in living standards over the last 50 years. That's why the U.S. is not quite as envied as it used to be. Nonetheless, it's still there.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 PM

999 posts, read 2,017,413 times
Oh yes, you are correct. Sony. Panasonic. Hitachi, Sharp, JVC, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sanyo, Mitsubishi Electronics.

And how many American electronics companies sell their products to the global consumer base? Well, besides a certain company named after a tree fruit. Maybe I should throw in a few Korean corporations and we'll see just how pathetic the US export share is on the global scale.

And the Japanese rail system puts the US antiquated, POS Amtrak system to shame. Ditto for the major commercial and passenger airports. In places like Japan and South Korea...you can have heavy spending by governments on infrastructure and allow consumers to buy some electronics crap too. Imagine that. Funny how some nations have a healthy balance of economic policy and then there is the USA. You know, where the money flows upward to Wall Street banks, hedge funds, billionaires and the military/homeland security/surveillance industrial complex.

Love the spending priorities by Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Right, people aren't the the least bit interested in consumer electronics in Japan.

Inane non sequitur.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,477,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Oh yes, you are correct. Sony. Panasonic. Hitachi, Sharp, JVC, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sanyo, Mitsubishi Electronics.

And how many American electronics companies sell their products to the global consumer base? Well, besides a certain company named after a tree fruit. Maybe I should throw in a few Korean corporations and we'll see just how pathetic the US export share is on the global scale.

And the Japanese rail system puts the US antiquated, POS Amtrak system to shame. Ditto for the major commercial and passenger airports. In places like Japan and South Korea...you can have heavy spending by governments on infrastructure and allow consumers to buy some electronics crap too. Imagine that. Funny how some nations have a healthy balance of economic policy and then there is the USA. You know, where the money flows upward to Wall Street banks, hedge funds, billionaires and the military/homeland security/surveillance industrial complex.

Love the spending priorities by Americans
You are in desperate need of a clue. The crony capitalism of the Korean economic system makes Wall Street look like Bailey Savings and Loan. Hyundai and Samsung basically own South Korea. Meanwhile the Japanese economy has been in a two-decade period of economic stagnation and the Japanese government recently devalued the yen in a desperate bid to make exports more attractive. These are the economies you want to model ours after?

If you lived in Korea, you could probably buy a clue from a store owned by Hyundai, built by construction workers who work for Hyundai, using financing from a bank controlled by Hyundai with interest rates set by a government finance minister related to the family that controls a major stake in Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC