Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 PM

324 posts, read 468,739 times

Advertisements

but who wants to go to baltimore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,535,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
but who wants to go to baltimore?
A lot of people from the DC area are in Bmore all the time and vice versa.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,235,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collateral View Post
the paranoia of americans will be their downfall (yes i'm talking about some of these responses). Because this constant paranoia and mistrust of anyone not born in the u.s.a leads to americans shooting themselves in the foot and flushing golden opportunities down the toilet.

Americans need to learn to recognize a good thing when they see it and stop assuming the worst of everyone and everything that's "new". This is why we can't move forward in most of this country. Big business pumps out the fear among the ignorant masses to keep their pockets lined with cash. And most morons fall for it.

anyway.. This train is a no-brainer great idea. ideally each coast should have one connecting all the major cities.

boston, nyc, philly, baltimore, dc, charlotte, atlanta, miami, etc. All connected by a modern rail system.

seattle, portland, san francisco, la, san diego, vegas, phoenix, etc. All connected by a modern rail system.

If americans can't notice a good thing when they see it.. They deserve their crappy infrastructure. Its what they vote for in every election.
+1000

Old 11-30-2013, 02:01 AM

37,286 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You are in desperate need of a clue. The crony capitalism of the Korean economic system makes Wall Street look like Bailey Savings and Loan. Hyundai and Samsung basically own South Korea. Meanwhile the Japanese economy has been in a two-decade period of economic stagnation and the Japanese government recently devalued the yen in a desperate bid to make exports more attractive. These are the economies you want to model ours after?

If you lived in Korea, you could probably buy a clue from a store owned by Hyundai, built by construction workers who work for Hyundai, using financing from a bank controlled by Hyundai with interest rates set by a government finance minister related to the family that controls a major stake in Hyundai.
Chaebols do have a huge influence on the country of 50 million, though it's a bit more distributed than just Hyundai and Samsung. There are about a dozen major ones and a lot of smaller ones and then there's a pretty good decent amount of internationals. The US is about six times the population, so let's take that demographic pie and find 6 times 12 (72) companies that have an inordinate amount of influence in the US (again, not counting smaller firms which Korea also has).

Anyhow, sounds like a great deal. Probably has a lot of stuff in the background with cementing US commitment to other policies with Japan.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,896,581 times
100% I wish there was better rail to Baltimore. There are connections but Amtrak is expensive for a day trip. Marc doesnt run on weekends but I hear it will, but even then I am sure hours are limited. It would take a long time too. Would be great if I could get to the cool areas of Baltimore within an hour 24/7.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM

537 posts, read 771,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
100% I wish there was better rail to Baltimore. There are connections but Amtrak is expensive for a day trip. Marc doesnt run on weekends but I hear it will, but even then I am sure hours are limited. It would take a long time too. Would be great if I could get to the cool areas of Baltimore within an hour 24/7.
Marc will run on weekends starting next weekend.

First look at MARC weekend schedules

http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defaul...ekend-Grid.pdf

But yeah....still no Maglev!

Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,535,169 times
Quote:
Aside from MARC and Amtrak you can catch the green line to Greenbelt, transfer to the #B30 metrobus and then take the light rail into Baltimore city.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,865,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Marc will run on weekends starting next weekend.

First look at MARC weekend schedules

http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/defaul...ekend-Grid.pdf

But yeah....still no Maglev!
MARC only goes as far as Baltimore, so my Delaware residence are SOL (they'd drive to Perryville), but this is good news for me when I feel like getting some cheaper drinks and a change of scene.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,072,082 times
Quote:
People in the US aren't willing to spend THEIR OWN money to have nice things.
fixed.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,896,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
fixed.
Yes, instead it goes to business subsidies and to cover the welfare of company employees who make minimum wage while the executives make hundreds of millions. Meanwhile the infrastructure crumbles reducing their own money. It is sad how people throw away their own money and refuse to improve their declining situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC