Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 PM

70 posts, read 88,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
great perspective. I can tell easily that you get it. some people make dating more complicated than it needs to be. Where were you raised?
South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,667,173 times
Credentials aside, what matters is who the person genuinely is, whether we complete each other, and whether our baggage can mesh together without stinking up the joint. A lot of accomplished people are so caught up with achieving this/that goal and lose sight of who they truly are. Ask them what they need in love and they start foaming at the mouth. A conscious effort towards love starts within. Otherwise, you're just grabbing at straws looking externally for it. This is why people reach burnout with dating. Side note: Meditation is a great tool for looking inward..

Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Credentials aside, what matters is who the person genuinely is, whether we complete each other, and whether our baggage can mesh together without stinking up the joint. A lot of accomplished people are so caught up with achieving this/that goal and lose sight of who they truly are. Ask them what they need in love and they start foaming at the mouth. A conscious effort towards love starts within. Otherwise, you're just grabbing at straws looking externally for it. This is why people reach burnout with dating. Side note: Meditation is a great tool for looking inward..
I think there are a lot of people that's 35 and older that's never been married, without baggage, good job, good education, etc.

I think people should look more carefully about the people they work with. Some people have a thing about that, but a lot of people that I know seem to got married from working together. And it's not really surprising here, since a lot of people spend more time with their co-workers than their friends of gf/bf.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Nice easy and smooth. I can tell by your post that you are an open minded type of person. You said some many things in that post that are considered "in between the lines".
You read between the lines half man, half amazing! I enjoy reading your thoughts and for the most part I agree with you. Every place has unique texture and feeling it at one location doesn't mean your going to get it at another location. Textures don't seem to change much in DC...making it fairly predictable in every capacity.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,661 times
ok,

Now that it is all settled, we MUST come to another point, which is the main idea I have been making.

For months I was confused as to why DC, in every social aspect, was so different. Now after spending quite some time really studying and observing, I have come to accept DC's unique texture. It is what it is and this is DC. HOWEVER, the problem that we have is that so many people that live here are not from here and refuse to be associated with DC's texture. This is why there are so many justifications and "Jay Carney" type deflections whenever DC gets name called. It's a subconscious effort.

If we all accept DC to be what it is and not place such high importance on certain social aspects that dominate other cities like art, dating, fashion, music, clubbing, you will better understand, not necessarily like, but understand where the stiffness comes from. Yes, DC has its share of social life and does well in most areas but it has its own texture that we must all accept.

You can't go into a classic romance theatre and expect to see Stallone type action... But when I tell you that it is a romance, don't tell me it is not. I have 50 million folk behind me ready to throw pop corn on your A..

Old 12-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
You read between the lines half man, half amazing! I enjoy reading your thoughts and for the most part I agree with you. Every place has unique texture and feeling it at one location doesn't mean your going to get it at another location. Textures don't seem to change much in DC...making it fairly predictable in every capacity.
Speaking of Breakingbad, season 6 is set to go... But that is besides the thread...

Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 695,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Speaking of Breakingbad, season 6 is set to go... But that is besides the thread...
Get ready for a rough ride! Season 6 was so stressful

Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
Get ready for a rough ride! Season 6 was so stressful
You mean season 5 was stressful!

Trying so hard to stay on topic. I promise!

Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,802 times
In all honesty I'm looking to move out of DC next year. I've lived here for 3 years and I've had my fill. As far as dating goes I think every guy in DC can agree that most women who live and work here have completely inflated egos and are ridiculously shallow. I've met so many unkind and shallow women in this city it's not even funny. I think women outside of DC (burbs of MD and VA) are much more feminine in every possible way. Generally speaking they dress and act like ladies. Women in DC tend to have a chip on their shoulder, feel they are more attractive than they really are, and have absurdly high standards that they themselves don't fit. Most of the women I have dated in the area that are interested in settling down don't live or work in DC.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
In all honesty I'm looking to move out of DC next year. I've lived here for 3 years and I've had my fill. As far as dating goes I think every guy in DC can agree that most women who live and work here have completely inflated egos and are ridiculously shallow. I've met so many unkind and shallow women in this city it's not even funny. I think women outside of DC (burbs of MD and VA) are much more feminine in every possible way. Generally speaking they dress and act like ladies. Women in DC tend to have a chip on their shoulder, feel they are more attractive than they really are, and have absurdly high standards that they themselves don't fit. Most of the women I have dated in the area that are interested in settling down don't live or work in DC.
RLCMA, I know you think I pick on you and I must admit, I did in the beginning. But I really want to know, not to pick at you but just for my own knowledge, how is that you were did a 360 from last year?

Last year you were pretty positive and really going out on dates and were a practically a defender of the city. This is primarily why I got on your case because it seemed rather strange for you to have been "prancing" around (thast was the exact word I used) saying that all a man needed to do was dress nice and pick up a dime.

But now, you are ready to leave and have had more than a few things to say about the women here. Mind telling us what caused this change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: