Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times

Advertisements

As my train pulled into DuPont circle this morning, smoke began rising from beneath the train. Smelled like burned tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 AM

19,532 posts, read 9,549,956 times
I'd rather have the Metro than not have it.
Yes, there are some short comings and eventually with the new manager, some updates will be and/or are currently in the works.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I think Metro blows Boston's T away and same for Philly's "Subway" system. Those things are like a 1930s history museum.

Silver Spring Transit Center was built by Montgomery County, not Metro.

Calm down dude. It's valid, but carpeting is become less and less common. 80%+ of the front and end cars don't have carpeting. I pretty much never ride in a car that has carpeting on the Green Line, so it really is not that uncommon.

im quite calm....im just saying non carpeted metro trains is not widespread enough for it to be common knowledge esp for people who dont ride the metro everyday like me.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I'd rather have the Metro than not have it.
Yes, there are some short comings and eventually with the new manager, some updates will be and/or are currently in the works.

As would we all.

Nobody questions its very existence. People justifiably question its efficiency and management and presently it has more than a few shortcomings.

Ever been to Berlin? A bigger system for a bigger city. It was damaged during WWII and then split by the Berlin Wall. When Reunification came, they got to work and fixed the thing in about a year.

They did not sit around debating. They did not sit on their tails. They did not conduct repairs year after year after year with questionable results.

They rolled up their sleeves and fixed it. They just did it.

Re Metro: Fix the damn thing.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Perfectly stated.

An interesting point that may not be recognized is that those complaining about Metro aren't calling for its removal, but rather are likely among its biggest advocates.

Take me for example. I'd like to see Metro heavily subsidized. I'd like to see cars taxed somehow (likely higher gas tax, miles driven tax, rational tolls).......and the revenue used to adequately fund Metro. This is not some "I Hate Metro, Please Remove It" thread.

But the imcompetence of Metro managers and our leaders is simply astounding. I bet that nobody here has ever been able to be as incompetent at their job as these people. Like many/most of us here, I pay a pretty high amount in local taxes. I deserve a reasonably decent transit system. We all do.

We deserve a transit system that will deliver transportation on an economy of scale : it may be a bit more inconvenient than driving, but it should cost significantly less. (NOT about the same.)

We deserve a system that makes driving and automobile commuting more pleasant by taking cars off the road.......and we may have to be willing to pay more to be one of those drivers.
Our current system encourages driving.

Metro does neither of these things. For anyone not right in the heart of the District.....it's just garbage. And no, I don't see how the new leadership will be able to change anything. The biggest problem is revenue/funding, after all.
This I agree with.

Metro has been ruled and run by incompetent morons for way too long. They all need to go. Incompetence is simply unacceptable at all times and in all situations.

Unacceptable.

Heads need to roll at Metro. Enough is enough. BUT I think things will start to improve with Metro's new GM. Obviously nothing will happen overnight. Look how long it took DC to go from a murder capital /ghetto trash hayven to a real city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: