Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 AM

280 posts, read 351,109 times

Advertisements

Because Federal offices are closed on Monday in DC.
I am trying to understand. As a fed are you suppose to work on Monday, if you are telework ready but Monday is not your telework day?

Last edited by musman; 01-25-2016 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
Because Federal offices are closed on Monday in DC.
I am trying to understand. As a fed are you suppose to work on Monday, if you are telework ready but Monday is not your telework day?
Each agency has its own telework policies. For most agencies though, if you are telework-ready, you must telework today, period.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:34 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
When I was a fed, the only people that had to telework on a snow day were those that signed an ad hoc telework agreement or those that were supposed to telework on that day.

So if your telework day was Tuesday, and Monday the office was closed, you did not have to telework. You could voluntarily work, but were not required to do so. Maybe half did so.

Ad hoc agreements were those that allowed employees to take any day teleworking that they arrange with their supervisor. Like if you had to wait all day for the cable guy to show up, you could telework by letting your boss know a few days before, so you don't waste a vacation day.

I would note that our union would send an email to remind us the telework policy on snow days because management would imply that anyone set up with telework had to telework, regardless if it was their designated day. It wasn't true.

I, however, felt a lot of institutional pressure to at least work enough to maintain any project deadlines, regardless if I was required to work or not.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
When I was a fed, the only people that had to telework on a snow day were those that signed an ad hoc telework agreement or those that were supposed to telework on that day.

So if your telework day was Tuesday, and Monday the office was closed, you did not have to telework. You could voluntarily work, but were not required to do so. Maybe half did so.

Ad hoc agreements were those that allowed employees to take any day teleworking that they arrange with their supervisor. Like if you had to wait all day for the cable guy to show up, you could telework by letting your boss know a few days before, so you don't waste a vacation day.
Right, in this case the "ad hoc" teleworkers and the Monday teleworkers would be considered "telework-ready" and have to work today. The employees who always teleworked Tuesday would not be considered "telework-ready" on a Monday and would have the day off.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:51 AM

That is true. I confirm that. I didnt know what to do. So yes if you telework approved. You go for "Unscheduled telework" rather than admin leave.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Thanks guys!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,660 times
Depends on the agency. At mine, we did not have to telework unless it was a telework day for you per your regular telework schedule, but I think our agency is in the minority. Most require telework on snow days across the board, which I think is tremendously difficult when the schools are closed.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,531,051 times
Technically everyone who has a telework agreement is supposed to telework regardless of the opening status of the Government. However, some agencies completely disregard the policy and others are very stringent about enforcing it.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Technically everyone who has a telework agreement is supposed to telework regardless of the opening status of the Government. However, some agencies completely disregard the policy and others are very stringent about enforcing it.
It's also dictated by the collective bargaining agreement your agency has with its union, which differs agency to agency.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:29 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Right, in this case the "ad hoc" teleworkers and the Monday teleworkers would be considered "telework-ready" and have to work today. The employees who always teleworked Tuesday would not be considered "telework-ready" on a Monday and would have the day off.
My agency is actually sort of the opposite.

We have two telework plans: 1) regular telework, or telework exceeding 80 hours a year; or 2) intermittent telework not to exceed 80 hours per year. Those who pick the first plan have to telework when the government is closed, regardless of whether or not you were scheduled to telework that day. The only exception would be if the closure is on your AWS day off or you requested leave (basically you wouldn't be working anyway). Those picking the second option (or no telework option) get administrative leave for the day.

Bottom line: totally depends on your agency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC