Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
My apartment building is called District located at 1401 S Street NW.
I just feel you're stirring up a lot of trouble asking what your neighbors are looking at. I'm not denying there are racist people living in DC, it just seems to me you're extremely paranoid. We've all had people stare at us and even snicker from time to time. It doesn't always have to do with race. You're not going to change people's opinions of you by calling them out for what you assume is racism. You're going to escalate it actually. Plus, people talk. Don't be surprised if people have already complained to management about your fliers and the person from yesterday may have also reported you.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:54 AM

48 posts, read 32,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I just feel you're stirring up a lot of trouble asking what your neighbors are looking at. I'm not denying there are racist people living in DC, it just seems to me you're extremely paranoid. We've all had people stare at us and even snicker from time to time. It doesn't always have to do with race. You're not going to change people's opinions of you by calling them out for what you assume is racism. You're going to escalate it actually. Plus, people talk. Don't be surprised if people have already complained to management about your fliers and the person from yesterday may have also reported you.
I’m not assuming that it’s racism because I’ve documented that it is ACTUALLY racism! I’m going to continue to call these people out for their ignorance and racism and post their pictures all over social media. Shaming racist people is the best way to confront them.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:19 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlackDude View Post
My apartment building is called District located at 1401 S Street NW.
Looks like I was right on target. Studios are from $2,013/month and 1-bedrooms are from $2,948/month and go up to $3,796/month. This is probably one of the highest rents in DC.

https://www.dcdistrict.com/floor-plans/

Old 07-22-2020, 07:26 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Looks like I was right on target. Studios are from $2,013/month and 1-bedrooms are from $2,948/month. This is probably one of the highest rents in DC.

https://www.dcdistrict.com/floor-plans/
Damn man. It just seems unnecessary just because a couple of people have looked at you odd. I don't think you need to take pictures and put them on blast. You're in a great location. I used to hang out down the street at Barcelona a lot and will say the diversity there wasn't that great. Mostly White and Middle Eastern people I see in the area. It was rare I saw Black people hanging out in that area even though its so close to U Street. Perhaps they're just paranoid from the Black Lives Matter movement? Who knows? I wouldn't go all out and take pics of people and call them racists on social media though.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
OP, are you an associate at one of the DC law firms? That seems to be the type of person that is going to rent an apartment at the District.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:08 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
3 grand for a shoebox apartment lol. Maybe everyone's in a bad mood because they're all overpaying on rent.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:06 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
3 grand for a shoebox apartment lol. Maybe everyone's in a bad mood because they're all overpaying on rent.
This I can agree with. I remember looking at those new apartments down in Navy Yard, 3K for literally a shoebox + all of the random fees you have to pay for, like amenity fees, etc.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
OP, are you an associate at one of the DC law firms? That seems to be the type of person that is going to rent an apartment at the District.
Yes, I do work as an associate at a law firm in the area.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:03 AM

291 posts, read 634,694 times
Wow, this thread stirred some stuff up. About time. This site has been pretty dead for a while and needed a good controversial topic to get people going.

I'm very sorry to hear about the racism in your building. Perhaps the thing to keep in mind is that your very presence is breaking new ground. You're right, many of the residents probably ARE racist and DON'T believe you belong in the building and are navigating their fear and racism with their need to socially keep up appearances and not be too overt about it. For many of them, the only time they've ever interacted at length with people of color was in service situations. A lot of them grew up in 80%+ white upper middle class to upper class suburban enclaves, went to private schools on leafy, well-tended campuses before heading to name brand Top 50 nationally ranked universities. They likely had almost every scholastic, familial and financial advantage and while usually they worked very hard, they also had few truly significant obstacles in their path to success. Their world is a bubble of privilege and self-absorption. Ironically enough, it's that privilege that makes them ESPECIALLY paranoid about anyone or anything that seems out of place in their environment. They NEED to see Black professionals, Black doctors, Black lawyers, Black lobbyists, etc. living amongst them. The more they do, the better it is for them and the better it is for society as a whole.

Best of luck and keep fighting the good fight. You have every right to be there as a resident and never let anyone make you feel any different or minimize your experience.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Wow, this thread stirred some stuff up. About time. This site has been pretty dead for a while and needed a good controversial topic to get people going.

I'm very sorry to hear about the racism in your building. Perhaps the thing to keep in mind is that your very presence is breaking new ground. You're right, many of the residents probably ARE racist and DON'T believe you belong in the building and are navigating their fear and racism with their need to socially keep up appearances and not be too overt about it. For many of them, the only time they've ever interacted at length with people of color was in service situations. A lot of them grew up in 80%+ white upper middle class to upper class suburban enclaves, went to private schools on leafy, well-tended campuses before heading to name brand Top 50 nationally ranked universities. They likely had almost every scholastic, familial and financial advantage and while usually they worked very hard, they also had few truly significant obstacles in their path to success. Their world is a bubble of privilege and self-absorption. Ironically enough, it's that privilege that makes them ESPECIALLY paranoid about anyone or anything that seems out of place in their environment. They NEED to see Black professionals, Black doctors, Black lawyers, Black lobbyists, etc. living amongst them. The more they do, the better it is for them and the better it is for society as a whole.

Best of luck and keep fighting the good fight. You have every right to be there as a resident and never let anyone make you feel any different or minimize your experience.
This is exactly why more Black professionals should consider moving to neighborhoods like Logan Circle and Shaw. I think this would create a shift in the demographics and possibly create more opportunities for integration. It may even help with altering some of the biased and prejudiced attitudes that many of these people harbor toward Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: