Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 16,885 times

Advertisements

Hey All. I am from Arizona and after high school I am thinking about moving up to Leavenworth Washington. Can anyone tell me what it is like there? Jobs? The Christmas? Advice? Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM

197 posts, read 612,854 times
Don't do it. It is a weekend tourist town. Fun on the weekends, but completely closes down during the week.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:25 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergirl View Post
Hey All. I am from Arizona and after high school I am thinking about moving up to Leavenworth Washington. Can anyone tell me what it is like there? Jobs? The Christmas? Advice? Thanks all
Great place if you want to watch a whole town pretend to play Kraut for tourists. Consider this: the school district is in decline because people with kids more or less can't afford to live in the Bavarian paradise. They have no authentic Germanic background; they just took a look at their backdrop and economy, and decided to play Kraut and see where it got them. (Being half Kraut, if I want to call it 'playing Kraut', I may do so.)

Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 46,712 times
moving from arizona to leavenworth??? talk about doing a reversal!! lots of snow, nothing around for miles, other than whats in town. and the whole place is a tourist trap, no jobs that pay more than 10 bucks an hour i would bet. unless you happen to be a business owner. the change in weather alone is enough to kill ya!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I will agree with the others. Tourist money is the only thing that really matters here. I've been there many times, (yes, as a tourist), and don't even recall seeing any houses. I'm sure they exist, but probably are hidden somewhere out of the tourism line of sight. Fun weekend though. Christmas? Kind of like Christmas in Bavaria, but not really.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:15 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,673,166 times
Telling us why you picked leavenworth might help us to suggest places that are more suitable for you

Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Telling us why you picked leavenworth might help us to suggest places that are more suitable for you

It is in a region that is quite desirable and accessible to other activities / jobs you may be interested in. While it is primarily a tourist town, I expect you know that; so it could be just your match. (Having come from a similar town, Estes Park, CO)

Who knows?, you may previously be from 'Tombstone' or Jerome South Rim or Sedona , Show Low or any number of 'other; AZ tourist venues.

I would just be sure I could be content with the activities accessible by Link Transit - Connecting Our Communities - Chelan and Douglas Counties, State of Washington - Home. I consider it a great region, with lots of opportunity and diversity of activities, employment, culture, & climate. Very appropriate for someone from AZ. Give it a whirl, realizing the responses above have merit in warning of 'life in a mtn tourist town' Not cheap, not ez, can be lonely, can be crowded, WILL be different, CAN be great !

Here are a few resources along your interest in Theatre

Performing Arts Center of Wenatchee
Wenatchee Valley - Performing Arts & Concerts - Theaters | Visit Wenatchee Valley Washington Visitors Bureau
The gal at the Visitor's Center was a long time resident of the region (Had lived in Chelan, Cashmere, Leavenworth and Wenatchee.) Give her a call and find out when you can chat for awhile. (when she is not busy).

Go try it on, take some classes at Community College, be involved with sport leagues and hiking or camera clubs. You will probably have a blast.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM

265 posts, read 722,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

It is in a region that is quite desirable and accessible to other activities / jobs you may be interested in. While it is primarily a tourist town, I expect you know that; so it could be just your match. (Having come from a similar town, Estes Park, CO)

Who knows?, you may previously be from 'Tombstone' or Jerome South Rim or Sedona , Show Low or any number of 'other; AZ tourist venues.

I would just be sure I could be content with the activities accessible by Link Transit - Connecting Our Communities - Chelan and Douglas Counties, State of Washington - Home. I consider it a great region, with lots of opportunity and diversity of activities, employment, culture, & climate. Very appropriate for someone from AZ. Give it a whirl, realizing the responses above have merit in warning of 'life in a mtn tourist town' Not cheap, not ez, can be lonely, can be crowded, WILL be different, CAN be great !

Here are a few resources along your interest in Theatre

Performing Arts Center of Wenatchee
Wenatchee Valley - Performing Arts & Concerts - Theaters | Visit Wenatchee Valley Washington Visitors Bureau
The gal at the Visitor's Center was a long time resident of the region (Had lived in Chelan, Cashmere, Leavenworth and Wenatchee.) Give her a call and find out when you can chat for awhile. (when she is not busy).

Go try it on, take some classes at Community College, be involved with sport leagues and hiking or camera clubs. You will probably have a blast.
This was a very nice post I just wanted to say. Seems like most replies on these boards focus on whatever negative that can be found. Everyone needs to realize there are drawbacks to anywhere you live and life it absolutely what you make it

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
This was a very nice post I just wanted to say. Seems like most replies on these boards focus on whatever negative that can be found. Everyone needs to realize there are drawbacks to anywhere you live and life it absolutely what you make it
You are absolutely correct. The focus is on the negatives. However, in this case, those negatives are reality. Don't get me wrong...move there and report back after one year. I would be surprised if you had not changed your tune.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM

265 posts, read 722,614 times
Negatives are a reality anywhere and I am not the OP. I will be moving to Port Angeles in June and am very happy with my choice, cannot wait to get there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington