Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Layover just breaks up the trip.

Are you heading to Petropavlovskt any time soon?? It is on my return list.
I wish! You read my mind! I've been thinking about it, but it's not in the cards anytime soon. However, if you want to go, there are direct flights out of Anchorage, on a Russian airline called Mavial. It's based in Magadan, and flies in the summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 11:00 AM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
When I did live there: Nothing. I was never happier than when I left the traffic and gloomy drizzle of Western WA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Getting on a plane and flying away from it
Oh, you know, you really can't beat the joy one gets out of knowing their home is a mecca for people who love to hate where they live. "I don't like reticent people, rain, tech workers, midcentury architecture, casual dress or rock music. Maybe I'll move to Seattle and whine for a few years. Then after I leave, I'll be sure to subscribe to a message board to discuss how much I hated it."

It's like a psychological mystery every day.

Seriously though, I love our arts scene and how crafty it is. I simply don't care if it's not fancy. I think Dale Chihuly is a little ridiculous and overblown and I love that the most overblown thing we have is a one-eyed glass blower from Tacoma. I love that.

I like the weather. I like that it's never too hot and never too cold. I like the ocean and the mountains and the forests. I like the fish. I like the people, who are nice to me. I like that people say "thank you" on the bus. I like that people still wait to cross the road until the walk sign comes on. I like the tolerance of weird and the lack of tolerance of hate.

I like the down-to-earth attitude of people and the respect for workers and people of working means, not distant admiration, but the fact that most of our population still comes from working class backgrounds. Even if there are Amazonians in SLU and some people seem to be stopping here as a means to an end, most of the population is still from here.

I like our rural areas as well as the city and most people I know have family in the countryside and in the cities. Unlike what you see on the Internet, a lot of people who own homes and live here long term actually have roots across the region. I like our old mining towns. I think for people of modest means, rural Western Washington is a great place to live, and the quality of life is unparalleled.

I like the pragmatic nature of people. Unlike some who are freaking out because a young Seattle has elected a pretty ridiculous city council, I'm not going to call it quite yet. I think that we are a pragmatic city and people are more moderate than many think. I don't buy that trains are somehow a liberal dream and I also don't think that homeless encampments are going to satisfy even the most extreme liberals for long.

I also love, love, love, the rain. I love water. Water is life. I can't imaging living somewhere that you can't go outside for long periods of time. I can ALWAYS go outside. I just need a hat.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Oh, you know, you really can't beat the joy one gets out of knowing their home is a mecca for people who love to hate where they live. "I don't like reticent people, rain, tech workers, midcentury architecture, casual dress or rock music. Maybe I'll move to Seattle and whine for a few years. Then after I leave, I'll be sure to subscribe to a message board to discuss how much I hated it."

Seriously though, I love our arts scene and how crafty it is. I simply don't care if it's not fancy. I think Dale Chihuly is a little ridiculous and overblown and I love that the most overblown thing we have is a one-eyed glass blower from Tacoma. I love that.

I like the weather. I like that it's never too hot and never too cold. I like the ocean and the mountains and the forests. I like the fish. I like the people, who are nice to me. I like that people say "thank you" on the bus. I like that people still wait to cross the road until the walk sign comes on. I like the tolerance of weird and the lack of tolerance of hate.

I like the down-to-earth attitude of people and the respect for workers and people of working means, not distant admiration, but the fact that most of our population still comes from working class backgrounds. Even if there are Amazonians in SLU and some people seem to be stopping here as a means to an end, most of the population is still from here.

I like our rural areas as well as the city and most people I know have family in the countryside and in the cities. Unlike what you see on the Internet, a lot of people who own homes and live here long term actually have roots across the region. I like our old mining towns. I think for people of modest means, rural Western Washington is a great place to live, and the quality of life is unparalleled.

I like the pragmatic nature of people. Unlike some who are freaking out because a young Seattle has elected a pretty ridiculous city council, I'm not going to call it quite yet. I think that we are a pragmatic city and people are more moderate than many think. I don't buy that trains are somehow a liberal dream and I also don't think that homeless encampments are going to satisfy even the most extreme liberals for long.

I also love, love, love, the rain. I love water. Water is life. I can't imaging living somewhere that you can't go outside for long periods of time. I can ALWAYS go outside. I just need a hat.
I can't speak for anyone else, but my dislike of Western Washington and my membership to this board were mutually independent of each other.

Because, believe it or not, there actually IS life outside of Seattle . It is not the center of the world, nor the center of my decision-making process.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Oh, you know, you really can't beat the joy one gets out of knowing their home is a mecca for people who love to hate where they live....

and... some of us ARE outside 12 - 16 hrs / day, 7 days / week 'Tending-our-flocks'.

This creates some challenges,

What's not to like if you have the choice? (go outside or not?)

Many do not have that choice. They are laying in the mud fixing their tractor. (Or worse yet, tending to the never ending foot / hoof needs of their lame livestock)

Roof leak? Climb a ladder... or click your smart phone (if you are lucky enough to have coverage or internet (if so you just MIGHT live in town...))

Awe for that wisp of cool damp air to sooth my indoor stagnate air quality... (for a brief moment)

Have another coffee...(indoors if possible)

Old 12-19-2017, 11:13 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but my dislike of Western Washington and my membership to this board were mutually independent of each other.

Because, believe it or not, there actually IS life outside of Seattle . It is not the center of the world, nor the center of my decision-making process.
Fremont is the center of the whole universe!

Old 12-20-2017, 09:48 AM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
Quote:

Then why are you here? That is what boggles my mind. Like your hobby is posting about a place you lived years ago which you hate.

That does not strike you as bizarre?

As for having to be outside, I know many people who work entirely outdoors and they live it and live it.

If you don't like Western Washington or Seattle, what motivates you to stink up a thread about what people like? Just because you are so deeply bitter?

There is no logical explanation. There must be this deeply emotional thing that makes you want to say "NOT ME!" When people in the west are enjoying their lives.

Or maybe--did you know that you can let it go and move on?

Did you know you are allowed to live your life right now and enjoy it without Seattle?

I'll be putting you guys on ignore. Hopefully you too can find the inner peace to leave the cityand state of your mental torment behind.

But don't come back saying it doesn't torment you. If it didn't, you would not still be here.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:11 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Then why are you here? That is what boggles my mind. Like your hobby is posting about a place you lived years ago which you hate.

That does not strike you as bizarre?

As for having to be outside, I know many people who work entirely outdoors and they live it and live it.

If you don't like Western Washington or Seattle, what motivates you to stink up a thread about what people like? Just because you are so deeply bitter?

There is no logical explanation. There must be this deeply emotional thing that makes you want to say "NOT ME!" When people in the west are enjoying their lives.

Or maybe--did you know that you can let it go and move on?

Did you know you are allowed to live your life right now and enjoy it without Seattle?

I'll be putting you guys on ignore. Hopefully you too can find the inner peace to leave the cityand state of your mental torment behind.

But don't come back saying it doesn't torment you. If it didn't, you would not still be here.
Sorry, I had assumed that we are all adults here, who are able to understand that other people may have a dissenting opinion, rather than live in a fairly-tale land where only people who agree with you get to speak.

So, unless a moderator tells me not to, then I reserve the right to post my opinion, whether some random anonymous poster (i.e. you) thinks that is okay or not.

And yes, please feel free to ignore my posts - after all, I responded to you because you quoted my post, not the other way around.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:00 PM

269 posts, read 297,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Fremont is the center of the whole universe!

Uh, no,

Old 12-20-2017, 10:14 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
It's beautiful, peaceful and wonderful.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:39 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,201,476 times
Quote:

You sound triggered

Hey buddy boyo, check my locations...I am spending less and less time in dumpy western WA these days, if it wasn’t for family I wouldn’t even set foot in it anymore. I just post as a warning to others not to believe the propaganda like I did, but rather just avoid the most overrated place in the country. Personally IDGAF if more and more people move there and “ruin” it, although displacing the locals may improve the area in that regard.

Oh and down to earth seattleites? Lol just lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington