Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 09:37 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times

Advertisements

In 2015 after quite a bit of searching we finally landed a rental near Port Angeles where we'd been looking...in Forks. That was the closest we'd gotten and now apparently witnessing a rapid increase in desire of many to move this way also.
Rentals have gotten so competetive and tight that most rentors are becoming more discriminating. Requiring insane down payments,and very restrictive pet policies etc.
From what I've been researching,this also seems to be becoming the case all along the 'western I-5 corridor' expanding to the coast. I can't tell if it's from the Seattle housing burst,driving many away from the area out this way,or the continuing 'California exodus' where people are getting priced out of that state also.
The closest area from here that I've seen rentals advertised that are still normal is the eastern part of the state and Idaho,but not Boise...that seems to be another growing area.
Either way it's not looking good for the competition here. I've never experienced anything like this on the east coast.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I've never experienced anything like this on the east coast.

Westward Expansion?...

Yup, since the 1700's

Our county in western WA has been getting 250+ new residents per month for 30 yrs. (CA and OR refugees contribute to over 1/2 of that number)

Westward Expansion?... Brought me to WA from Colorado nearly 40 yrs ago. Tough to go much further west than Forks.

I prefer my renters with pets, go buy their own places. A single pet can cost me ~ 5 yrs earnings. (I am the one with a few hundred thousand dollars in capital property risk / exposure. other tenants complain, fight, are bothered... Do the landlord a favor and BUY a place for your pet (or emotional support companion animal (not legally a PET).)

Good luck, glad you found something, keep it paid up!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:30 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
In 2015 after quite a bit of searching we finally landed a rental near Port Angeles where we'd been looking...in Forks. That was the closest we'd gotten and now apparently witnessing a rapid increase in desire of many to move this way also.
Rentals have gotten so competetive and tight that most rentors are becoming more discriminating. Requiring insane down payments,and very restrictive pet policies etc.
From what I've been researching,this also seems to be becoming the case all along the 'western I-5 corridor' expanding to the coast. I can't tell if it's from the Seattle housing burst,driving many away from the area out this way,or the continuing 'California exodus' where people are getting priced out of that state also.
The closest area from here that I've seen rentals advertised that are still normal is the eastern part of the state and Idaho,but not Boise...that seems to be another growing area.
Either way it's not looking good for the competition here. I've never experienced anything like this on the east coast.
Rents are still "normal" in SW WA, too--the Willapa Bay Area, & around there.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Considering that the supply of rentals in Forks likely hasn't changed much, it wouldn't take much "slop-over" demand from a "full-up" Port Angeles, to drive up rents west of there, even in Forks. A commute from Forks to PA is theoretically doable (1hr/10min) .

California transplants enamored with living close to the Pacific Ocean are in for a rude awakening, once the reality of 120" of annual rainfall hits home. By comparison, Port Angeles, only 56 miles away, but inside the Olympics' rain shadow, gets only 25 inches.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:58 PM

323 posts, read 448,911 times
Default Westward Expansion to the NW

Quote:
From what I've been researching,this also seems to be becoming the case all along the 'western I-5 corridor' expanding to the coast. I can't tell if it's from the Seattle housing burst, driving many away from the area out this way,or the continuing 'California exodus' where people are getting priced out of that state also.
Yes, westward expansion continues. The Northwest now filling up. Where to escape to now? My forefathers came here in the 19th century for economic reasons. Now add "escaping inhospitable places" to that reason. My street on Camano has ten houses, only mine and two other houses contain natives. The rest are inhabited primarily by CA natives, either direct or by way of a Seattle suburb.

I'm just thankful my ancestors had the opportunity. Had an Asian country discovered the US west coast and populate it like the Europeans did the east cost, Seattle would be New Shanghai by now.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I prefer my renters with pets, go buy their own places. A single pet can cost me ~ 5 yrs earnings. (I am the one with a few hundred thousand dollars in capital property risk / exposure. other tenants complain, fight, are bothered... Do the landlord a favor and BUY a place for your pet (or emotional support companion animal (not legally a PET).)
Sounds like too many irresponsible pet owners out west...another thing I've not experienced much of out east. We've had up to 4 dogs at a time,no problem...some people even have exotic pets no problem.
One would think the further west the more tolerant of animals...not so apparently.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rents are still "normal" in SW WA, too--the Willapa Bay Area, & around there.
I don't know...I've found pretty similar in the Aberdeen area also. Apparently most don't care about the reputation of that area,alot of drugs etc.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
Had an Asian country discovered the US west coast and populate it like the Europeans did the east cost, Seattle would be New Shanghai by now.
That may also be happening in the Seattle area...it's being said that investors from China are buying up in BC as well as Seattle and that may be another reason for skyrocketing prices.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
I don't know...I've found pretty similar in the Aberdeen area also. Apparently most don't care about the reputation of that area,alot of drugs etc.
A bit of gentrification has come to those out-of-the-way places, too. Retirees are discovering them, as the last cheap RE in WA State.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Aberdeen/Hoquiam/Cosmopolis form a real metropolis, ~26,000 pop., larger than Port Angeles (~20,000 pop.) with a robust supply of legacy houses, but with little "new" being built, which means a relatively small increase in demand can bump up values.

There does seem to be more "quality" houses coming onto the market:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true (classic house)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...?fullpage=true (neat house)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true (wow, wow, wow)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true (ignore the awful paint job)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...?fullpage=true (take the furnishings out and burn them, but wow)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true (surrounded by trees, huge deck, sauna, hot tub, Mad Men's wet bar, two fireplaces, giant walk-in closet, office, shop area)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true (43 acres!)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true (wow, again)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true (horse property)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington