Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFullTimer View Post
There is a new saying which I never heard before in my 62 years which is "June Gloom" not only has it been in June but in July also. The weather people don't want you to know the truth. Panic and alarm. The truth is the Jet stream split off going over the top of Alaska and the second stream going through California. Alaska broke records of 90 degrees which is 5 degrees beyond any previous record. Here in Washington state I have never seen a dismal summer such as the one I am witnessing. June, July and August are always sunny at least from my memory bank of 62 years. This year nothing but clouds and rain. I am wearing my winter coat as I write this. Never ever have these weather conditions existed in the summer. Houston we have a problem!!! I will tell you after research this is the problem... The arctic ice has melted 50% which is the air conditioner for the entire globe. The Jet stream is disturbed big time and we are experiencing the consequences. I am just glad that I am 62 and not 22 so that I don't have to witness the horrible effects about to come. If you only knew the real truth. Hurricanes, floods, fires... you haven't seen anything yet in comparison for what will be. They won't tell you neither. Panic...No more economy! Sad but true. When your a senior citizen and you experience the difference all of a sudden then you have the right to respond here.
I'm about your age and the weather changes with the seasons and fronts....like it has my entire life, I don't see the great calamity you see. Where I am right now used to under ice for thousands of years and now it's not and I'm glad but it illustrates that the climate does change over thousands of years....we won't see these changes unless we figure out to last thousands of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
This summer has been perfect, just the way I remember summers here all my life, except for the past few hot ones. Rain during August, yes please.
I am in full agreement. I love having a green lawn without having to water it, and it's great to be able to enjoy outdoor activities without sweating.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 AM

719 posts, read 987,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFullTimer View Post
There is a new saying which I never heard before in my 62 years which is "June Gloom" not only has it been in June but in July also. The weather people don't want you to know the truth. Panic and alarm. The truth is the Jet stream split off going over the top of Alaska and the second stream going through California. Alaska broke records of 90 degrees which is 5 degrees beyond any previous record. Here in Washington state I have never seen a dismal summer such as the one I am witnessing. June, July and August are always sunny at least from my memory bank of 62 years. This year nothing but clouds and rain. I am wearing my winter coat as I write this. Never ever have these weather conditions existed in the summer. Houston we have a problem!!! I will tell you after research this is the problem... The arctic ice has melted 50% which is the air conditioner for the entire globe. The Jet stream is disturbed big time and we are experiencing the consequences. I am just glad that I am 62 and not 22 so that I don't have to witness the horrible effects about to come. If you only knew the real truth. Hurricanes, floods, fires... you haven't seen anything yet in comparison for what will be. They won't tell you neither. Panic...No more economy! Sad but true. When your a senior citizen and you experience the difference all of a sudden then you have the right to respond here.
Good lord, what a load of garbage this is.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:22 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
We've had a long run of year after year of "el nino" which brought us warmer summers and more wet warm winters which didn't use to be the norm here. I for one am happy it's cooler, we've had more rain to keep the wildfires at bay(no smoke-yay!), and cooler temperatures. If you're an out of state implant of the last 10 years, which most are, you're probably wondering what happened, but as someone who was born and grew up here, things are more back to normal. California beckons your return, if you are too wet/cold.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
We've had a long run of year after year of "el nino" which brought us warmer summers and more wet warm winters which didn't use to be the norm here. I for one am happy it's cooler, we've had more rain to keep the wildfires at bay(no smoke-yay!), and cooler temperatures. If you're an out of state implant of the last 10 years, which most are, you're probably wondering what happened, but as someone who was born and grew up here, things are more back to normal. California beckons your return, if you are too wet/cold.

Interesting post, although I don’t understand the purpose of the two final sentences.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 08-17-2019 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 03:23 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Interesting post, although I don’t understand the purpose of the two final sentences.
There is a lot of whining going on among the implants due to the "cool" summer. In reality it's been great, no sweltering heat, no dead lawns, and no smoke from everything being on fire like it was last year.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
This has indeed been a weird weather year across the state. Tri-Cities, normally with little snow, got smashed with a rare blizzard in February/March. The whole State has been cooler than normal this season. Good for the lack of forest fires. I don't think this a trend however. It is an anomaly. I don't expect a repeat in 2020, but these things are unpredictable on a local basis. The general trend is warmer and stormier.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:10 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
This has indeed been a weird weather year across the state. Tri-Cities, normally with little snow, got smashed with a rare blizzard in February/March. The whole State has been cooler than normal this season. Good for the lack of forest fires. I don't think this a trend however. It is an anomaly. I don't expect a repeat in 2020, but these things are unpredictable on a local basis. The general trend is warmer and stormier.
Seattle has been above average all year except February that was cold. This summer has still been just above average, just too cloudy, so feels like below average.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Raining this morning… I love this summer. Everything is much greener than our typical August!

Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Remember, blame every weather anomaly on "climate change" implying "anthropogenic climate change" that will allegedly be resolved by sequestering carbon, and taxes on air.
Please ignore the fact that the "heat trapping" atmosphere cools the planet, and the highest recorded temperature (134F) has not been exceeded, despite generations of "trapping heat."
The Church of the Warming Planet will bless you for your piety.
Good man. The entire thesis is a house of cards, that will fall down eventually. What I'm waiting for is the far Left wackos to start apologizing when their quack theories fail. I'm still waiting. They just look dumber and dumber all the time.

We're now in August and it's been pretty nice. Couple rainstorms, like today (a little unusual) have cleaned the air. Less burning than usual in a three state area, too. Last two years sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington