Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 05:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Advertisements

I'll take me some peanut butter - chocolate Cheerios, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 09:58 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I think bag bans are the worst kind of virtue signalling. There is more plastic, by weight and volume, in ANY of the products we are buying at the store. We're not saving the planet by trying to juggle our groceries to the car without a bag.

It just FEELS like we are.

And that's what is really important to some people.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:26 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think bag bans are the worst kind of virtue signalling. There is more plastic, by weight and volume, in ANY of the products we are buying at the store. We're not saving the planet by trying to juggle our groceries to the car without a bag.

It just FEELS like we are.

And that's what is really important to some people.
This is because there aren't many reasonable alternatives to buying food in packages. I've written a couple articles in our local newsletter on how to practice a "zero waste" lifestyle which means I did it enough to be recognized for it. You can't actually get down to zero waste (and be a functioning member of mainstream society), but you can cut down to very little... we were throwing out a mason jar size of trash per week for a good year or so. Enough where I debated cancelling our trash service...

But I didn't have a job that year My kids were still little and completely under my influence. We didn't do much except haunt the neighborhood.

And I was annoying.

All those things have changed in the last couple years (maybe I'm still annoying though) and I couldn't keep up the good fight. Simple as that.

It really wasn't about virtue signaling for me. In fact, the more I was asked to write the articles and was highlighted by community leaders to talk about my lifestyle the more I felt like I was the "token gesture" towards the community's original directives. We were supposed to be an expression of New Urbanism and that's what attracted me to the neighborhood in the first place. We were collectively supposed to be about "living green". Instead it felt like I was "living green" for the entire community. They would put my article next to others that sent out the absolutely opposite message and didn't think twice about it.

They just want to look good and want the community to look good. My authentic efforts were used for greenwashing. I'm very bitter about it and that's why I needed to find a new place.

I love what this neighborhood has done for our net worth because SO MANY PEOPLE want to live here, but I don't. I literally can't wait to leave (and hence the homestead five years too early).

Old 12-22-2020, 11:33 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Right...lets get rid of supermarket jobs by doing self-check out and ENRICH the Corporate Elites.

Really folks....what are you thinking?? Whose side are you on???
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
While I understand this train of thought, I would offer that for grocery stores to continue competitive pricing they will need to cut costs where they can. If self-checkout accomplishes this, then the consumer will ultimately win, in as they will not pay higher prices. Plus, some just prefer it over someone touching their products in today's covid world.

Costco in my town stopped the self check out months ago. Walmart still has them but as far as I know no grocery store has no self check out... at least in Sequim.

Does anyone else have self check out grocery stores in their area?

Old 12-22-2020, 01:53 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The big box do-it-yourself stores have self checkout, as does Walmart. No place else where I shop has them. I suspect that shoplifting loss is too high with them.

It doesn't matter what the speed limit is in Seattle after Seattle finishes defunding the police. Most drivers aren't going to follow speed limit laws if there is no enforcement.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:33 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Most major stores have self checkouts - Fred Meyer, Safeway, Costco, Target, Walmart, Home Depot.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The big box do-it-yourself stores have self checkout, as does Walmart. No place else where I shop has them. I suspect that shoplifting loss is too high with them.

It doesn't matter what the speed limit is in Seattle after Seattle finishes defunding the police. Most drivers aren't going to follow speed limit laws if there is no enforcement.
It is kind of funny, back in the 80's Seattle drivers were criticized as being slowpokes on the freeways, nowadays it is the Indy 500. I'm sure it is a combination of little enforcement plus so many newcomers bringing their freeway habits to the area. So be it, I like the faster pace for sure. But I just realized this has nothing to do with plastic bags!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-22-2020 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-11-2021, 01:52 AM

808 posts, read 541,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
His reasoning on this seems to be sound...

https://komonews.com/news/local/gov-...e-plastic-bags
What I don't understand is why they call them "single use" bags?
I use those grocery bags for my trash. I have trash bins that are just the right size for them.
When I travel, I make my own coffee and sometimes other liquids - sourp, smoothees, because my own food is better and cheapre than what I would get on the road. I put them in a plastic bag in case the top works loose.

The bags that are being banned are the reusable bags. It makes no sense!

The little bags that are in the produce aisle, or the bulk bin aisles are too small, as are bread wrappers, although I keep a few of all those sizes around, just in case, like if I want to wrap a sandwich.

So why do they let people put an orange in a plastic bag? That's not considered a waste, but take your groceries home in a plastic bag, and then use it to take the garbage out - that's going to ruin the environment? Nonsense!

So what do people do to take out the trash? They go to the store and buy trash bags that are wastefully big and heavy - even worse.

I don't know anyone who takes their grocery bags home, unloads the groceries, and then goes out in the street and throws the bag away. The plastic that we see on the streets are mostly the little bags you get when you buy a candy bar at the drug store. The trash that is in the garbage island in the middle of the Pacific is mostly from Asia, where they break down containers of things like shampoo and soap, and sell them in single-use plastic containers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...me/1133838002/

This is just more theatre. I'm totally surprised that people believe it.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I have used plastic grocery bags as garbage bags for decades. I’m sure someone will inform me why this is wrong! And then I will continue to use them until they permanently run out when Jay’s ban eventually someday kicks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington