Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,652,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
I am the OP with this thread and just wanted to post on my outlook after being here for nearly one year and preparing for this La Nina winter.

I am starting to miss California less and less the longer I am here and really only miss my family, friends and the urban lifestyle amenities near my home. Well I live in Anacortes and make regular trips to Bellingham and had to go to Seattle multiple times per month over the summer and fall, providing the urban experiences I desire. By the end of last Spring I was ready to leave the PNW for a break from the grey skies and we had a trip to Washington DC in June. Well we left WA with 60 degree days and arrived in DC with 90-95 deg days with near 90% humidity and my wife and I pledged to never go back in the summer with those humid days.

I have continued in my photography hobby and produced photos that are unobtainable in So Cal. This is a picture I took at picture lake with Mt Shuksan in the Artist Point area of Baker HWY a few weeks ago with the great fall colors.

We are taking vit D on a regular basis and have a light therapy box as needed to combat SAD. I have been sure to prepare our emergency kit/plan for the winter weather expected and the power outage producing windstorms we get from the Strait here near the San Juan Islands.

Overall I am happy we made this move and am enjoying life up here. I can't wait to start the snowboarding season up here at Mt Baker and maybe even approach that world record snowfall.
Great to hear. You were wise to hang in there. And that photo you took was sensational. For those that don't know, you can click on it to enlarge it. (It enlarged twice for me) It's just spectacular. I've seen countless photos of Shuksan, and yours is one of the finest I have ever seen. Great work and thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 PM

59 posts, read 158,555 times
Thanks for the feedback Bill. I really lucked out with perfect weather and time of the day while shooting that shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Great to hear. You were wise to hang in there. And that photo you took was sensational. For those that don't know, you can click on it to enlarge it. (It enlarged twice for me) It's just spectacular. I've seen countless photos of Shuksan, and yours is one of the finest I have ever seen. Great work and thanks for sharing!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,856 times
I've had a few neighbors come and go from CA and AZ...something about "you guys must have webbed feet"....
It's wet here. This year we had a SHORT summer, it was looking to be pretty nice, and then after Iceland's volcano eruption we had rain and drizzle which really didn't lighten up until after memorial day. Hit and miss for awhile with about 3 weeks of good weather, then in late august it got cold again and stayed there. Weather analyists say this is the earliest it's gotten this cold in over 50 years, and that this winter will be nasty.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 AM

3 posts, read 10,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
It really helps if you can appreciate nature and outdoor activities, even if it means driving to a nearby park and going for a walk down a forested trail. Yes, even in the rain.

You have to focus on the positives. It's easy to look at the grey skies and go "Ack!" but look at what those grey skies bring you: a mild climate for a location so far north, a climate that supports thriving, lush rainforests and a diversity of ecosystems - a landscape that isn't parched. It's definitely a different climate, but a different ecosystem as well.

Moving from suburban sprawly So Cal to a rural(ish) coastal WA community is going to give you a "culture shock" in a way as you adapt to a new lifestyle. In this part of the world it's all about the outdoor environment and less so the infrastructure. In So Cal, it's the exact opposite. Typically it takes 2 full years before culture shock goes away, before you feel at home in a new surrounding, before you feel settled. Keep that in mind.

Try to explore the region as well if you're able to. The grey skies are just a part of the landscape. There's no way around that, unfortunately. Just try not to make that the focus. Also remember that it's seasonal. As we approach February, the grey skies become less prevalent, and our spring starts soon after. Spring is absolutely a wonderful time, and that segways into summer, which is even more spectacular. Remember, at this latitude, it remains light out until 9-10pm. It's sort of the trade off for having dark drizzly winters. Stick it out and you'll see.
Great great post

Moving to Washington in 3 weeks. Got $60,000 saved up in case I don't find a job. But I will.

Just me and 2 golden retrievers. I am applying for gym membership sales positions at any of the major clubs.

I am well suited for it. And gray skies mean greenery. That's a fair trade-off to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington