Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 PM

59 posts, read 158,536 times

Advertisements

My wife and I relocated up to Anacortes for a job opportunity for myself with a compensation package we could not pass up. We have been here for 1 month and although I like the region, I am having mild doubts. It has been great enjoying the sunny days we have had the past few weeks, but I am really unsure if I can tolerate all of the gray days expected with a normal winter. I also think I will progressively miss the suburban lifestyle we left in San Diego. My wife works from home and likes it up here so far.

I am a native of So Cal and was getting sick of the hot summers, high cost of living and traffic, but am unsure if I was ready to give sunny skies throughout the year. We really analyzed this opportunity before we committed to this move, and I am going to give this relocation a full chance to experience a winter and summer season up here in the PNW.

I am posting here to seek feedback from others that may have moved here and encountered these same concerns. I really enjoy the outdoor activities and love snowboarding which are great positives of this area. I just may need a light box to go along with my vitamin D supplements to combat any potential SAD effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
from those i know its a 1 way trip, and they dont like it.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,867 times
That of course would explain why there are so many Southern CA transplants here.

The NW isn't for everyone. If you can make it through February, the worst will be over. March will tease you, April more so. Then May is usually pretty nice, June too, then July through early October are heavenly...

It gets better. And it's especially cool where you are. Take a trip to the San Juans sometime soon. Bellingham is close, as is LaConner. They're nice diversions. And so is Vancouver.

Hang in there.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,270,283 times
It helps to get outdoors every day. Even on cloudy days there is more light outside than what you'll get from a light box.

Take a mid-winter trip to someplace sunny. Planning and thinking about a warm beach will cheer you up.

Try not to squander your extra compensation so at the end of the year you have something to feel good about.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 AM

576 posts, read 2,261,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdpt View Post
My wife and I relocated up to Anacortes for a job opportunity for myself with a compensation package we could not pass up.
Well... let's be honest. You moved here for the job and the money, not the weather!

Step outside right now and look around. What you see is what you get- those grey skies will be prominent from December through March. Sorry, it's just the way it is in the majority of the coastal pacific NW.

IMO, your choices would be to roll with it and make the best of life here during the winter months as the rest of us do. If you're going nuts with the dark days and gray drizzle, take a week or two off from work mid January and head to Martinique to get a break from winter here. If that doesn't work, there's always San Diego with its nearly non-stop sunshine but (presumably) a job with a lesser compensation package-

Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
In my experience a focus on what you lost instead of what you gained will not serve you well. If you cannot find a more positive outlook in the coming year you may need to plan a move back.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,679 times
I'm also from California and moved to Phoenix several years ago because I know I need the sunshine. My dad lives in WA and is considering relocating to New Mexico to find the sun again. When visiting the PNW, I am in constant awe of the lush vegetation and green everywhere. In order to live happily there, I'd have to really find a way to focus on what I find fascinating about the area that I didn't have at home. My stepmom plants 100+ tulips in her flower beds each year with great success. I can only grow cactus, but that is the price I pay.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,202 times
It really helps if you can appreciate nature and outdoor activities, even if it means driving to a nearby park and going for a walk down a forested trail. Yes, even in the rain.

You have to focus on the positives. It's easy to look at the grey skies and go "Ack!" but look at what those grey skies bring you: a mild climate for a location so far north, a climate that supports thriving, lush rainforests and a diversity of ecosystems - a landscape that isn't parched. It's definitely a different climate, but a different ecosystem as well.

Moving from suburban sprawly So Cal to a rural(ish) coastal WA community is going to give you a "culture shock" in a way as you adapt to a new lifestyle. In this part of the world it's all about the outdoor environment and less so the infrastructure. In So Cal, it's the exact opposite. Typically it takes 2 full years before culture shock goes away, before you feel at home in a new surrounding, before you feel settled. Keep that in mind.

Try to explore the region as well if you're able to. The grey skies are just a part of the landscape. There's no way around that, unfortunately. Just try not to make that the focus. Also remember that it's seasonal. As we approach February, the grey skies become less prevalent, and our spring starts soon after. Spring is absolutely a wonderful time, and that segways into summer, which is even more spectacular. Remember, at this latitude, it remains light out until 9-10pm. It's sort of the trade off for having dark drizzly winters. Stick it out and you'll see.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post

Try to explore the region as well if you're able to. The grey skies are just a part of the landscape. There's no way around that, unfortunately.
I don't consider it unfortunate in any way shape or form.

Without the weather, the beauty that is the NW doesn't exist as we know it.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
I can relate to the OP. I say, give it a year or two. Some people are fine after their first or second winter. As for me, this is my 5th winter here. Moved from Texas and am moving back because it just isn't happening for me. I gave it 5 years and I just can't adjust. So for some people it works, others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington