Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
SoCal has a Med climate , that put it in the same group with Perth and SouthWestern Australia , no SouthEast.
Sydney is too humid and rainy to get assimilated to SoCal.
I was only talking about temperatures and annual sunshine levels.

Perth may be equally sunny and dry as California,
but everywhere in Western Australia can hit 43+ C 110+ F, while coastal parts of San Diego almost-never see 32+ C/90+ F.
Nights cool quickly in Perth, with an average of 31/17 C, while San Diego averages 25/18 C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I heard a colleague of mine who spent a lot of time in different places say that Sydney would be like San Francisco without the fog.. not sure how true that is.. but I'm inclined to believe it might be partially true... but perhaps as someone else said.. a wetter version of San Diego might be a better comparison

Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
You're looking in the wrong countries. US searching is futile. Pretoria and interior SA places are far drier and sunnier than Sydney, though parts of the SA east coast might be much closer. A good search would start on the much longer east coast of South America. I could suggest places, but someone else can do the work.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You're looking in the wrong countries. US searching is futile. Pretoria and interior SA places are far drier and sunnier than Sydney, though parts of the SA east coast might be much closer. A good search would start on the much longer east coast of South America. I could suggest places, but someone else can do the work.
Has to be south of Porto Algre, Brazil.
Their winters are 19 C/67 F and summers 31 C/88 F; roughly Brisbane-like.
North of Buenos Aires, since it's actually a bit chillier than Adelaide, which is in turn chillier than Sydney.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Has to be south of Porto Algre, Brazil.
Their winters are 19 C/67 F and summers 31 C/88 F; roughly Brisbane-like.
North of Buenos Aires, since it's actually a bit chillier than Adelaide, which is in turn chillier than Sydney.
Rio Grande do Sul (the city in Rio Grande) is a pretty good temperature match for parts of Sydney a little less oceanic than Sydney's Obs. Hill:

Seasonal Weather Averages : Weather Underground

Can't find rainfall data for it though.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:21 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
Thanks for your replies.

It's the whole warmer winters and cooler summers that really puzzle me.

San Diego seems tempwise similar to Sydney, but rainwise seems rather dry.

The other big difference I've noticed is our weather seems to stick in a certain pattern, for example it'll rain for weeks on end.

This week at the airport, the max temperature will barely change this week

Mascot weather - local weather forecast
I have noticed that as well. I have only been living in Sydney for just under 2 years (haved lived in both NZ and the UK prior to this), but have observed that "similar" weather patterns prevail for long periods of time at least compared to NZ and UK climates.

For example, we can have long stretches of sun and moderate temperatures, but equally long periods of overcast and wet weather. Cue mid May to early June (very cloudy) and immediately after that, blue skies for well over a week.

From what I have experienced so far, I think I prefer autumns and springs here as they tend to be proportionately sunnier and more settled.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
I believe Pelotas, Brazil is the best match: Pelotas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, unlike Sydney, it is not frost-free.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
If you look at climate classifications, I think they group Sydney with Cfa climates ( Hot Humid Subtropical)…while places like San Diego are grouped with Cs (Dry Subtropical). Places like San Diego get less than 15 inches of rainfall a year…have bone dry summers…and low humidty. Sydney gets like 45 inches of rainfall…has some rainfall in summer…and is nowhere near as sunny as San Diego much of the year. So Sydney is likley nothing like any city on the Pacific Coast of the USA.

The Humid Subtropical region on the lower East coast/Gulf coast...is the closet match in the USA. North Florida for the most part is warmer summer and winter than Sydney. Cities like Charleston, New Orleans, or Savannah have much warmer summers, but the average winter temps seem about the same as Sydney…as is yearly rainfall. The best match in the USA would be a place like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Of course Myrtle Beach is much hotter and sunnier in summer than Sydney (and probably all year). Also, I don’t know about Sydney, but the Atlantic is really warm off Myrtle Beach (right now 29 C/85 F)…so Sydney probably has much colder seas offshore.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

The Humid Subtropical region on the lower East coast/Gulf coast...is the closet match in the USA. North Florida for the most part is warmer summer and winter than Sydney. Cities like Charleston, New Orleans, or Savannah have much warmer summers, but the average winter temps seem about the same as Sydney…as is yearly rainfall. The best match in the USA would be a place like Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Of course Myrtle Beach is much hotter and sunnier in summer than Sydney (and probably all year). Also, I don’t know about Sydney, but the Atlantic is really warm off Myrtle Beach (right now 29 C/85 F)…so Sydney probably has much colder seas offshore.
Myrtle Beach is actually slightly colder than Sydney during the winter and the summers are certainly uncomparable.

Does Sydney often, if ever fall below freezing? I'm not sure how often Myrtle Beach falls below freezing, but it actually happens fairly often each winter.

Edit: Well I couldn't find the statistics for Myrtle Beach, but nearby Conway averages about 44 days below freezing per year.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
If I think about it...It seems as though Sydney could be classified as a hybrid or a transitional climate between Humid Subtropical and Oceanic.... it doesn't really match either one.. but is somewhere in between...There really isn't a good match for it in the USA in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather