Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:12 AM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I can't really tell for sure because the winter street view there is old (so poor graphics), but Brownsville seems to be one of the only southeastern U.S. places dominated by broadleaf evergreens, along with tropical south Florida and Tampa. I do believe this however, as such infrequent freezes and warm winter means combined with such a brief wet season would probably make it hard for many deciduous trees to properly cycle through, and I had previously heard that Brownsville is dominated by such broadleaf evergreen vegetation.

Even if they are deciduous-dominated, however, they'd probably still be more like Sydney than other U.S. cities. Places like Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans and Houston aren't close enough to being arid, and south Florida is too tropical and too wet in summer for much similarity. Brownsville is literally near the teetering edge between Cfa/BSh and is at least somewhat dry most of the year, September and October being the exceptions. Sydney also shows an early autumn maximum in precipitation although not as strongly.
But Sydney is far from being semi-arid. Its driest month gets 69 mm of rain. Koppen used 60 mm as the threshold for a tropical rainforest climate, so clearly Sydney is nothing like semi arid. Sydney's poor soils encourage plants with tough, flammable leaves which makes it look drier than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 11:39 AM

1,056 posts, read 724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
But Sydney is far from being semi-arid. Its driest month gets 69 mm of rain. Koppen used 60 mm as the threshold for a tropical rainforest climate, so clearly Sydney is nothing like semi arid. Sydney's poor soils encourage plants with tough, flammable leaves which makes it look drier than it is.
I meant that it's physically close to BSh climates and has a marked autumn wet season as well as xeric-looking vegetation, not that it climatically borders on BSh. And as I've said, intercontinental comparisons are much harder than intracontinental ones, especially when one of those continents happens to be cold-snap-prone eastern North America (see my posts on the thread about whether Beijing is more like Memphis or Wilmington).

Old 02-27-2020, 03:28 PM

1,503 posts, read 912,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
I meant that it's physically close to BSh climates and has a marked autumn wet season as well as xeric-looking vegetation, not that it climatically borders on BSh. And as I've said, intercontinental comparisons are much harder than intracontinental ones, especially when one of those continents happens to be cold-snap-prone eastern North America (see my posts on the thread about whether Beijing is more like Memphis or Wilmington).
I see, you're right. There are quite a few climates like Sydney that have no close equivalents in the northern hemisphere and especially North America. Others that come to mind are some of the dry Cfb/BSk borderline climates near the south coast of South Africa that feature very mild temperatures with comparatively little seasonal variation.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:12 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
To be fair, that's the coastal area or near Sydney Harbour. Many everyday people don't reside there, unless they're tourists in a hotel or are rich. I don't usually the count the CBD to represent Sydney's climate.

Most Sydneysiders live inland and the driest month in that region gets 46.4mm of rain (Prospect Reservoir). Still far from semi-arid, but more closer to a drier Med climate than to a full fledged humid rainforest climate.

El Cajon (San Diego) and Culver City (Los Angeles) have a nearly identical monthly temperature range to the Sydney region throughout the year (not counting rainfall):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Caj...fornia#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culver...fornia#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate...Sydney#Climate

EDIT: The closest I found in the southeast is Biloxi, Mississippi. Although it's far too wet and the summers seem very humid, it is the 'closest related' Cfa climate to Sydney in the USA. And it's a far more better 'climatic twining' than Myrtle Beach SC, which has been brought up here a lot of times.

Last edited by Ethereal; 05-24-2020 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather