Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 PM

87 posts, read 120,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
There's always one....

The title of the thread rather clearly indicates that this is about when winter starts subjectively, to different people in their relevant locations. NOT the "official definition", because everybody knows that anyway, what's more, most informed or reasonably intelligent people are aware that the date is December 21st, for that matter.

The ignorance of some people is truly astounding, ain't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
When the skies are gray, less sun, highs in the 50's , lows in the 40's (and dropping week to week) I need a coat to go outside for any length of time and when I wake up each morning my house feels definitely colder than usual, my car gives me a chill so I warm it up for comfort, the trees are devoid of leaves and evergreens put out their berries. That to me is the start of a NC winter!
Of course the date stating the start of winter is Dec 21 however that doesn't mean all areas feel like winter at that point in time. I was interested in hearing when most people felt it was winter-like in their area!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 AM

175 posts, read 323,993 times
If we use the equinoxes and solstices to mark the beginning of seasons, then winter starts on 21 or 22 December and ends on 20 or 21 March. But even for places with significant seasonal lag such as Southern Ontario, March (which is mostly winter according to this definition) is on most years warmer than December (which is mostly autumn).

I actually prefer the meteorological definition when it comes to describing seasons (with the three warmest months as summer, and three coldest months as winter). So, using this definition, winter starts on December 1st, and ends on Feb 28. But classifying March and November not as winter months feels somehow wrong, so, my definition of winter starts somewhere in between early and mid-November, and ends late March.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Depends where you are, but the beginning of December in most places is definitely warmer than the beginning of March. December 10 is about the same as March 10. So if winter must be 3 months, December 10 to March 10 is a better length. November is much too warm to be considered winter for me, we had a high of 50 F this month

Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,200 times
When does winter start for you?-forecastf.jpg
When does winter start for you?-forecastc.jpg

Hmm, this is January weather. Looks like winter's here already! I'm certainly not complaining about this.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
So cold last night, down to 15°F AGAIN, but we are going to have a big thaw this weekend, with temps reaching the average of about 7°C / 45°F, thank GOD.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,657 times
Officialy it is Dec 21.
But if you could look out my window right now and see all the snow and the thermometer reading 23 degrees and the snow plows going by once in awhile I think it is winter.
For me it starts when it starts acting like winter. And it sure is right now. Dec 6th.
Winter solstice doesn't mean much. Some years winter starts here before Thanksgiving. Some years we don't see snow untill after Christmas. Usualy the first good snow starts winter for me.
And we got a pretty good snow now that isn't supposed to let up for another 36 hours.
Possible depths of 12 to 24 inches by Tuesday night where lake effect snow bands persist. I hope they are wrong.
The snowblower will get its first startup today.
I have a police scanner I'm listening to right now. There are wrecks and cars in ditches all over the area.
Seems like some forget how to drive on slick roads from one winter to the next.
Tow companies and plow operaters will make some could money over the next couple days.

Last edited by Robhu; 12-06-2010 at 05:23 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
What I don't get is how everybody, I mean literally everybody, on www.netweather.tv forums and such UK weather forums is always after more cold and snow, and want just about the worst winter could possibly bring, and add lots of cold favoritism "bias" to the model chat.

BUT. As soon as anyone such as myself even indicates they prefer milder, more convenient weather, they get bloody pillaged and insulted by losers with nothing better to do than shed contempt on me because I prefer milder weather. I can't believe how simple minded and pathetic such "people" really are.

I can't even enjoy having discussions on those forums because of people like that offering their blasted snarky comments, rudeness and insults when I even talk about chance of milder weather this weekend let's say.

I've had some idiots called me "heat obsessed" or a "heat freak" on this forum, while I prefer what I call "survivable" temperatures (70-90F for example), it is clear that the extent to which that goes is nothing like the level of "cold obsession" that some of the tards on these other forums demonstrate to the extent of actually insulting others over their preferences. People really do stink.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,649,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
What I don't get is how everybody, I mean literally everybody, on www.netweather.tv forums and such UK weather forums is always after more cold and snow, and want just about the worst winter could possibly bring, and add lots of cold favoritism "bias" to the model chat.

BUT. As soon as anyone such as myself even indicates they prefer milder, more convenient weather, they get bloody pillaged and insulted by losers with nothing better to do than shed contempt on me because I prefer milder weather. I can't believe how simple minded and pathetic such "people" really are.

I can't even enjoy having discussions on those forums because of people like that offering their blasted snarky comments, rudeness and insults when I even talk about chance of milder weather this weekend let's say.

I've had some idiots called me "heat obsessed" or a "heat freak" on this forum, while I prefer what I call "survivable" temperatures (70-90F for example), it is clear that the extent to which that goes is nothing like the level of "cold obsession" that some of the tards on these other forums demonstrate to the extent of actually insulting others over their preferences. People really do stink.
God, you don't half moan a lot. I don't like having to wear extra layers, travel disruption and extra heating bills either but consider this payback for 10-15 years of unusually mild winters. Personally, I love it when records of any kind get broken. If it's going to be cold, then let's do it properly and get a coldest December for 100 years or something out of it. If you hate damp, cool, overcast weather that much and prefer 70-90F and dry then you might like to consider moving away from a town at 53N that's known as one of the snowiest/gloomiest in the country. You'll never be satisfied by your weather otherwise.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Winter is here. I'm still curious as to how we have Lake Effect Flurries when we're about 400 miles southeast of whatever Great Lake (Ontario or Erie) the moisture is coming from. This seems odd.

I wasn't prepared for this cold (29-30 degrees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather