Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I live inland, so the lows are predicted to be upper 20s.
Yes I'm aware of that. I was just pointing out Miami's forecast. Just the fact that they're under a freeze warning is amazing. Although this cold is bad for Florida's economy, it would still be interesting if you managed to tie or even break your all time record low.

Quote:
This cold wave is definitely not "overhyped" like wavehunter said upper 20s in December is extremely rare here.
Agreed. This is one of the rare times the weather in Florida is actually interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well my area is forecast to get down to 21 under cloudy skies. And as I said Eastern Long Island is predicted to have a low of 25 (75 miles from NYC) and Montauk (115 miles from NYC) is predicted to have a low of 28 miles. There is no heat island in Eastern Long Island or Montauk, much of the land is rural and /or surronded by water.

I think there's also some sorta east/west temperature trend going on.

For the rest of the week, the lowest temperature predicted for Montauk is 22, NYC is 19, the middle of Long Island 17-19.
Well yeah, for eastern LI the coastal effect will play the dominant role. But there have been other nights where NYC was warmer than other coastal cities along the east coast. It looks like NYC's urban heat effect won't be able to stand up against this latest cold front though.

It definitely is west to east because our area has been warmer than much of the south yesterday and today (only in the 20s in parts of Alabama for instance).

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Well yeah, for eastern LI the coastal effect will play the dominant role. But there have been other nights where NYC was warmer than other coastal cities along the east coast. It looks like NYC's urban heat effect won't be able to stand up against this latest cold front though.

It definitely is west to east because our area has been warmer than much of the south yesterday and today (only in the 20s in parts of Alabama for instance).
Yea, it goes both ways. Sometimes NYC has colder nights, other times coastal Long Island has colder nights. What I mean is that the coastal parts of Long Island can reach the same warm night temperatures without the heat island effects. It seems like some posters assume that Long Island is part of the heat island or all of it is very close to NYC. For example, much of Eastern LI is further away from NYC than Poughkeepsie.

NYC's weather isn't really that different compared to other nearby coastal places. Long Branch, NJ and Atlantic City, NJ both have similar forecasts to NYC (though the southern part of Brooklyn is the part for comparing). The eastern forks of Long Island often seem to be a bit weirder with their own weather patterns. In fact, sometimes they recorded the coldest temperatures in the state and they tend miss out on big heat waves.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Just a note about lows in Miami…since I often follow the weather there closely and I’m there often in winter:

Although it has been a cold December so far in the USA (although the month is still less than half over, and the pattern looks to change in the next 6 to 10 days)…a low of less than 40 F in Miami is not really totally unusual: Each winter, one or two nights might fall to less than 40 F for a few hours. In fact, last year’s record cold winter had three nights that fell to less than 40 F in Miami. It looks like the huge cold wave giving Minnesota -35 F temps will make it all the way down to Florida and give them a few cold nights in the 30’s F this week. Miami might indeed make it down to less the 40 F on one of those nights…but that’s not all that rare. Here is just the last five years, most years had at least 1 night that made it down to less than 40 F in Miami:

Lows below 40 F at NWS Miami:

Winter 2009/2010 – 3 times (Jan)
Winter 2008/2009 – 1 time (Jan)
Winter 2007/2008 – 1 time (Jan)
Winter 2006/2007 – 0
Winter 2005/2006 – 1 time (Feb)

Interesting, and based on my recollection accurate information. However, temperatures in the 30's in Miami is rare. Not counting last year which was highly unusual, only 3 days in the last 4 years did go under 40. If you go back before 2005 there was probably 0 days of temps in the 30's until I believe the winter of 2001-2002 where it might have reached below 40 once.

Recent cold winters by Miami standards that I can remember was obviously last year 2009-2010, 2000-2001, 1996-1997. In fact, in December of 1996 Miami set a record for December with 8 straight days where the temperature did not reach above 65. There were also a few morning where the lows were in the 30's, and quite a few days in the 40's. I'm not sure which exact records were broken last January, but I am pretty there were a few.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
No one cares how cold it was in Toronto today, even cold-lovers?
But I made such an elaborate description at the top of page 3!

Btw, I was also entirely sunless, so no sun warmth.
There were periods of "lighter" overcast, which is why I went for a walk midday;
excesize is nice and I was trying to catch the peak UV, however feeble.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, it goes both ways. Sometimes NYC has colder nights, other times coastal Long Island has colder nights. What I mean is that the coastal parts of Long Island can reach the same warm night temperatures without the heat island effects. It seems like some posters assume that Long Island is part of the heat island or all of it is very close to NYC. For example, much of Eastern LI is further away from NYC than Poughkeepsie.

NYC's weather isn't really that different compared to other nearby coastal places. Long Branch, NJ and Atlantic City, NJ both have similar forecasts to NYC (though the southern part of Brooklyn is the part for comparing). The eastern forks of Long Island often seem to be a bit weirder with their own weather patterns. In fact, sometimes they recorded the coldest temperatures in the state and they tend miss out on big heat waves.
Maybe because Long Island is completely surrounded by water while other coastal cities have land to the west? I just think that the urban heat effect in NYC can seem very pronounced at times. There were some nights this month that were colder well to the south of NYC. Although now looking at tonight's forecast for various cities, it looks like almost everyone down the east coast (NYC, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah, etc.) will be down to about 20 F, so maybe it was a fluke. Coastal parts of Florida are expected to fall into the 20s as well.

If it wasn't so windy and cloudy, it'd be even colder.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Windchill values are expected to drop into the 20s in Miami. Wunderground says teens. Frigid!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Interesting, and based on my recollection accurate information. However, temperatures in the 30's in Miami is rare. Not counting last year which was highly unusual, only 3 days in the last 4 years did go under 40. If you go back before 2005 there was probably 0 days of temps in the 30's until I believe the winter of 2001-2002 where it might have reached below 40 once.

Recent cold winters by Miami standards that I can remember was obviously last year 2009-2010, 2000-2001, 1996-1997. In fact, in December of 1996 Miami set a record for December with 8 straight days where the temperature did not reach above 65. There were also a few morning where the lows were in the 30's, and quite a few days in the 40's. I'm not sure which exact records were broken last January, but I am pretty there were a few.
I think you're mistaken about December of 1996. Records suggest it was a warm month with only one cool day (high 57 low 44).

Doing a very brief search, it looks like on January 11, 2010, Miami broke the record of 37 set in 1927, falling to 36. Not sure if any other records fell that month.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:08 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,018,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
There were periods of "lighter" overcast, which is why I went for a walk midday;
The UV index was 1 today, though (I don't usually bother to check daily in the winter ).

Aren't UV levels generally too low to produce vitamin D during winters at our latitudes, so that supplements from diet (milk etc.) is needed?

I usually don't like to exercize outdoors on days that are too cold, but I like to do so as much as I can in summer (I'm surprised when I see people indoors at the gym on treadmills on sunny summer afternoons and think it's a shame they could be running outside in brighter conditions and beautiful weather ).

Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
No one cares how cold it was in Toronto today, even cold-lovers?
But I made such an elaborate description at the top of page 3!

Don't go for any walks tonight. Windchill values near -30 F!

Weren't you guys spoiled last winter? I guess now its payback time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather