Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:58 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be a good idea to dedicate one thread to this upcoming winter season, instead of the discussions going on in a few different ones. Post anything regarding winter weather, cold snaps, records, storms, etc. here.

This month has so far been very interesting with cold blast last week extending down into Florida with numerous record low temperatures and another blast of arctic air is expected to affect much of the country this upcoming week. In addition to that, there's been bitter cold and snow in the upper midwest and record lake effect snow in and around the Great Lakes. Parts of New York State have received nearly 50 inches of snow. Other parts of the world have also been affected by winter's wrath with record cold and snow in the UK, France, and other parts of Europe. I also heard that Cancun, Mexico recorded several days in a row with lows in the 50s.

Looks like the next blast of cold air will result in another several days of below average temperatures across the southeast. Miami may drop down into the mid 30s. It'll be interesting to see if that materializes. Last week they dropped down to 44 F, a good 4-5 F warmer than forecasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 05:20 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
I wonder when we'll get our first snow.

It'd be interesting if every time a storm was on it's way it'd warm up (similar to what's coming tomorrow) and we ended up with n snow this winter lol.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It'd be interesting if every time a storm was on it's way it'd warm up (similar to what's coming tomorrow) and we ended up with n snow this winter lol.
Sounds like last year.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:57 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sounds like last year.
Sort of but just all rain as opposed to heavy snow. I wonder if there has been a Winter where NYC/LI had no snow.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
We already an arctic blast in the PNW in the 3rd week of November which brought a couple of inches of snow and very cold temperatures. So far this season Vancouver Airport hit a low of 15F while the city itself hit 20F. Let's hope the cold and snow stay away for the rest of the winter in this neck of the woods!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Sort of but just all rain as opposed to heavy snow. I wonder if there has been a Winter where NYC/LI had no snow.
Well last winter was more rain than snow here. And there a few times it warmed up before storms. A couple times the university closed for snowfalls that didn't happen.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:42 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to dedicate one thread to this upcoming winter season, instead of the discussions going on in a few different ones. Post anything regarding winter weather, cold snaps, records, storms, etc. here.

This month has so far been very interesting with cold blast last week extending down into Florida with numerous record low temperatures and another blast of arctic air is expected to affect much of the country this upcoming week. In addition to that, there's been bitter cold and snow in the upper midwest and record lake effect snow in and around the Great Lakes. Parts of New York State have received nearly 50 inches of snow. Other parts of the world have also been affected by winter's wrath with record cold and snow in the UK, France, and other parts of Europe. I also heard that Cancun, Mexico recorded several days in a row with lows in the 50s.

Looks like the next blast of cold air will result in another several days of below average temperatures across the southeast. Miami may drop down into the mid 30s. It'll be interesting to see if that materializes. Last week they dropped down to 44 F, a good 4-5 F warmer than forecasted.
Just a note about lows in Miami…since I often follow the weather there closely and I’m there often in winter:

Although it has been a cold December so far in the USA (although the month is still less than half over, and the pattern looks to change in the next 6 to 10 days)…a low of less than 40 F in Miami is not really totally unusual: Each winter, one or two nights might fall to less than 40 F for a few hours. In fact, last year’s record cold winter had three nights that fell to less than 40 F in Miami. It looks like the huge cold wave giving Minnesota -35 F temps will make it all the way down to Florida and give them a few cold nights in the 30’s F this week. Miami might indeed make it down to less the 40 F on one of those nights…but that’s not all that rare. Here is just the last five years, most years had at least 1 night that made it down to less than 40 F in Miami:

Lows below 40 F at NWS Miami:

Winter 2009/2010 – 3 times (Jan)
Winter 2008/2009 – 1 time (Jan)
Winter 2007/2008 – 1 time (Jan)
Winter 2006/2007 – 0
Winter 2005/2006 – 1 time (Feb)

Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Even if it does happen almost every winter, it is still worthy of mention, especially if a record is on the line.

Even though it only dropped below 40 F three times last winter, Miami was consistently below average the first half of January. A total of eleven days failed to reach 70 F including six consecutive. The low was below 50 F for twelve days in a row, five of them below 45 F. As we all know, there was a day that failed to reach 50 F. The rest of Florida was even colder.

I understand the weather can often be exaggerated, but I still wouldn't discount what has happend and what may potentially happen when we look at forecasts. Just look at the data and let it speak for itself. A low in the 30s in Miami, while not unheard of, is still somewhat unusual. This is Miami we're talking about - lol.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:31 PM

14,325 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Earlier this week we were a tiny sliver that did not have snow on NOAA's snow cover map, Fri. woke up to 4", and tonight depends on who you believe, anywhere from 8 to 14!

This storm is the same weekend as the big storm last year. I don't mind winter but the blowing snow, brutal wind chills, dangerous conditions are a little scarey. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere the next few days.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Ice storm is coming tomorrow morning. Then rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather