Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Vancouver
London 49 39.84%
Vancouver 74 60.16%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 12:49 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,510 times

Advertisements

OK, I toned down my post. Still, I'm looking at "outdoor climate" from a strictly weather POV. As a city, London might not have as many outdoor activities on its doorstep. But that's not what this forum is comparing. The number of outdoor amenities is for a different forum. In terms of strict weather, I still maintain London has better conditions on a year round basis for outdoor activities where you at least won't get rained on as much or be exposed to as much cold. That can be seen from basic climate data comparisons. Talking of skiing that involves having to leave the actual city does it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 12:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
OK, I toned down my post. Still, I'm looking at "outdoor climate" from a strictly weather POV. As a city, London might not have as many outdoor activities on its doorstep. But that's not what this forum is comparing. The number of outdoor amenities is for a different forum. In terms of strict weather, I still maintain London has better conditions on a year round basis for outdoor activities where you at least won't get rained on as much or be exposed to as much cold. That can be seen from basic climate data comparisons. Talking of skiing that involves having to leave the actual city does it not?
Yes you technically leave the city proper, but Vancouver is only 114 sq k's. It's a two minute drive over a bridge to get to the North Shore where the foothills start. If it weren't for artificial boundaries, you would think you are in a continuous urban space. This mountain, one of three across from Vancouver is a 15 minute drive from downtown. If you were to drive 15 minutes from the centre of London, you wouldn't get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFrpNs_dss

Old 11-26-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There are places to enjoy the outdoors 15-20 minutes from London too. I'm not sure what the video proves against my weather comparison.

For me personally, I would feel more comfortable out of doors in London and its surrounding beautiful natural areas (of which there are many) than Vancouver for a longer proportion of the year. I don't like wet weather, and I prefer milder winters. The data supports that. It's really that simple.

Old 11-26-2021, 01:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
There are places to enjoy the outdoors 15-20 minutes from London too. I'm not sure what the video proves against my weather comparison.

For me personally, I would feel more comfortable out of doors in London and its surrounding beautiful natural areas (of which there are many) than Vancouver for a longer proportion of the year. I don't like wet weather, and I prefer milder winters. The data supports that. It's really that simple.
I'm not bashing London. I've been a few times, and plan on going again.

I like London, and enjoy it.

However, my point is, that in climates that are so similar, what place do I want to be do things outdoors?

Vancouver simply offers a more diverse range of outdoor activities.

Old 11-26-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not bashing London. I've been a few times, and plan on going again.

I like London, and enjoy it.

However, my point is, that in climates that are so similar, what place do I want to be do things outdoors?

Vancouver simply offers a more diverse range of outdoor activities.
Agree on the last point. As for the third line, depends for me on what type of activities they are, but I mostly like things such as walking or cycling, and prefer on average drier and milder weather for that especially in winter as I don't like the combination of being both cold and wet when on a walk or especially bike riding.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:10 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
Relax, relax. You'll give yourself a heart attack.

London and Vancouver are close in many ways. The difference are more stark in summer, where Vancouver is drier, and sunnier, and in winter where Vancouver is wetter.

These charts show that.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/4...ver-and-London

Someone brought up beaches, which lent the conversation towards " what to do in nice weather " or even bad weather.

What I posted about Vancouver is true. When the weather is nice, outdoor activities are much more abundant in Vancouver. People not only go to the beach, play volleyball on the beach, swim, go kayaking, go sailing, go mountain hiking etc, they also do all the things outdoors that you can do in London, sit in parks, ride a bike, albeit the 29K seawall in Vancouver is amazing for bike riding and walking.

In winter the activities change. People still go downhill skiing 20 minutes from downtown. They even go after work. You see people on transit with snowboards heading to the mountains across the harbour.

As I said, and stand by. Vancouver is much more an outdoor city than London.
London is warmer than Vancouver in the Summer but Vancouver is by the coast, for sunshine it is very similar to coastal regions in the UK, Vancover is colder than London in the winter (and I find London winters to be too cold already), I would prefer the climate in London, probably because I can't stand cold weather.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:52 PM

110 posts, read 83,602 times
I used to live in Northern England, and I now live on Vancouver Island. I find summers here considerably warmer and drier. I also notice more snow here in the winter than the UK. Not exact locations mentioned but similar.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
I used to live in Northern England, and I now live on Vancouver Island. I find summers here considerably warmer and drier. I also notice more snow here in the winter than the UK. Not exact locations mentioned but similar.
Nice. London's summer is really nothing like Northern England's though. I've lived in both places.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:45 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I don't live in either place and don't have a dog in this fight, but this made me laugh out loud:

Quote:
Anything over 30 is too hot for a beach. The sand will be too hot and it will be stifling. That is not good weather.
I couldn't disagree more, but that's my opinion. I'd like to know what place you find better than a beach when it's over 30.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't live in either place and don't have a dog in this fight, but this made me laugh out loud:

I couldn't disagree more, but that's my opinion. I'd like to know what place you find better than a beach when it's over 30.
Inside. When it reaches 30 here I don't go out (and it happens on average only two days a year here). I hate heat.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd laugh about it. I'd think it was obvious someone on a weather forum is going to be giving their subjective opinion. I'm heat intolerant due to medical reasons. Nothing funny about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather