Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Vancouver
London 49 39.84%
Vancouver 74 60.16%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 12:07 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,516,037 times

Advertisements

And yet most people still voted for Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 12:09 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
And yet most people still voted for Vancouver.
My God.

Perhaps because they are voting for weather interest (largely snow and cold in winter), not "outdoor activity"? Did you not see where I mentioned this twice???

Well here it is again: "Don't conflate a higher vote with being better for outdoor activities on a weather forum lmao."

Old 11-23-2021, 02:20 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There are no ski mountains in Vancouver. There are some on the North Shore, in West Vancouver and North Vancouver but those are different cities and municipalities, plus the skiing although good, is not Alpha.

Whistler/Blackcomb, two hours drive north are.
Was thinking more in terms of Whistler which is still close enough for a day ski, plus the smaller areas close to town - definitely an Alpha for a city it's size imo.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:28 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Beach destination...no. Unless you want to go to the largest nude beach in North America
The beaches play a huge part of Vancouver's summers.

I grew up in Vancouver and practically lived on the beach in the warmer months. Right outside my door.

London? Ya, not so much.
May I suggest that when it comes to beaches both the UK and Vancouver are perhaps underrated by not only both parties but the world in general? The UK has about 10'000 miles of coastline and you are not further than 70 miles from a beach wherever you are on the island, trust me there are some fabulously stunning beaches in the UK (of course there are there is 10'000 miles of beach to choose from). The UK is home to numerous beach resorts like Blackpool, Scarborough, Margate, Brighton or Bournemouth that host tens of millions of holidaymakers every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1ACaXm6RQ

As well as large resorts like Bournemouth there are thousands of small enclaves containing wonderful beaches:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8oYNxaxJ4I

Now I imagine the same can be said about the part of Canada in which Vancouver resides.

Now of course neither Canada or the UK are particularly renowned for their beaches, there is one obvious drawback for both places - the fact that its really only warm enough to sit on a beach in both countries over about a 4-5 month period every year, however as somebody has pointed out beaches in the UK (and I guess that part of Canada) are still used in the winter for walking or sports, I myself used to surf in Cornwall even in the winter months - and yes the water was damn cold!

Old 11-25-2021, 10:41 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
May I suggest that when it comes to beaches both the UK and Vancouver are perhaps underrated by not only both parties but the world in general? The UK has about 10'000 miles of coastline and you are not further than 70 miles from a beach wherever you are on the island, trust me there are some fabulously stunning beaches in the UK (of course there are there is 10'000 miles of beach to choose from). The UK is home to numerous beach resorts like Blackpool, Scarborough, Margate, Brighton or Bournemouth that host tens of millions of holidaymakers every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1ACaXm6RQ

As well as large resorts like Bournemouth there are thousands of small enclaves containing wonderful beaches:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8oYNxaxJ4I

Now I imagine the same can be said about the part of Canada in which Vancouver resides.

Now of course neither Canada or the UK are particularly renowned for their beaches, there is one obvious drawback for both places - the fact that its really only warm enough to sit on a beach in both countries over about a 4-5 month period every year, however as somebody has pointed out beaches in the UK (and I guess that part of Canada) are still used in the winter for walking or sports, I myself used to surf in Cornwall even in the winter months - and yes the water was damn cold!
Canada isn't thought of as a beach destination per se, but people do come here for some of our beaches. Wreck Beach in Vancouver, the largest nude beach in North America is one. Plus the maritimes is famous for some of it's beaches.

Canada is just too big to even start to compare the amount of coastline and beaches to the much smaller UK.

This lake beach is on a lake that is one quarter the size of the UK. That is one lake out of approximately 2 million lakes in Canada. Lake beaches in Canada can be as big as ocean beaches. This one is in Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEAQ1uJXv4

However, again, this is not about Canada VS UK. It's Vancouver vs London.

I posted this before, BUT in regards to beaches Vancouver wins easily, compared to London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAvrPPRw30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOT94hAJTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koNvdjMBQnQ

Old 11-25-2021, 10:49 AM

1,548 posts, read 871,971 times
PEI and Nova Scotia in particular love to advertise their beaches and being among the warmest waters in Canada.

Old 11-26-2021, 04:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Canada isn't thought of as a beach destination per se, but people do come here for some of our beaches. Wreck Beach in Vancouver, the largest nude beach in North America is one. Plus the maritimes is famous for some of it's beaches.

Canada is just too big to even start to compare the amount of coastline and beaches to the much smaller UK.

This lake beach is on a lake that is one quarter the size of the UK. That is one lake out of approximately 2 million lakes in Canada. Lake beaches in Canada can be as big as ocean beaches. This one is in Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqEAQ1uJXv4

However, again, this is not about Canada VS UK. It's Vancouver vs London.

I posted this before, BUT in regards to beaches Vancouver wins easily, compared to London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzAvrPPRw30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOT94hAJTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koNvdjMBQnQ
London doesn't have any beaches, its inland, it does however have 10'000 miles of coastline on its doorstep.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
London doesn't have any beaches, its inland, it does however have 10'000 miles of coastline on its doorstep.
Yes, London doesn't have any beaches, that is why it has lost when comparing beaches to Vancouver, it's that simple.

The beaches in Vancouver are LITERALLY at it's doorstep, I don't have to hop a train down to rocky Brighton.

If one is going to go outside the boundaries of London and Vancouver to make a point about coastlines, I'm afraid it loses again.

BC, my one province has 25,725 kilometres/15,985 miles of coastline, not counting all the coastlines of the 40,000 islands we have nor the lake beaches.

The video I posted show a few of the available beaches within the city limits, which is only 114 sq K. Beyond that, many more.

Having to use the whole of the UK's coastline in a comparison with Canada, let alone BC is futile.

As for climate and beaches, Vancouver has enough warm sunny weather to make beach going pleasurable, as well as other activities. It is MUCH more of an outdoor city than London.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:48 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,873,231 times
Quote:
As for climate and beaches, Vancouver has enough warm sunny weather to make beach going pleasurable, as well as other activities. It is MUCH more of an outdoor city than London.
More outdoor city or outdoor weather? As this is the weather forum.

You haven't compared actual figures for rainfall duration, wind, or temperature and but still make hyperbolic statements like "MUCH" more outdoor city and such. Speaking of climate, as this is the weather forum, I know where I'd rather be outdoors in autumn/winter/spring. The comparative statistics for both locations are the best evidence by which to go on for comparing over the internet, as neither of us have lived in both locations for numbers of years. But you've provided nothing, including your reasons for your disagreement of my assertion that London has better outdoor weather year-round which is backed up by the best evidence available, not cherry picked anecdotes.

Last edited by Eman Resu VIII; 11-26-2021 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-26-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
No clue. It's alarming that you haven't even bothered to compare actual figures for rainfall duration, wind, or temperature and yet you still trot this crap about "MUCH" more outdoor city and such blah blah. Speaking of climate, as this is a weather forum, I know where I'd rather be outdoors in autumn/winter/spring. The comparative statistics for both locations are the best evidence by which to go on for comparing over the internet, seeing as neither of us have lived in both locations for numbers of years. You're making ridiculous hyperbolic statements from your posterior.

You've provided nothing (including why you disagreed with my assertion that London has better outdoor weather year-round which is backed up by the best evidence available and not cherry picked anecdotes), nothing at all and the only thing you have done is make garbage arguments based on cherry picking a warm spell in Vancouver against one of the coldest Aprils on record in England. Just leave this forum to the knowledgeable people who used to dominate years ago before the rot set in.
Relax, relax. You'll give yourself a heart attack.

London and Vancouver are close in many ways. The difference are more stark in summer, where Vancouver is drier, and sunnier, and in winter where Vancouver is wetter.

These charts show that.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/4...ver-and-London

Someone brought up beaches, which lent the conversation towards " what to do in nice weather " or even bad weather.

What I posted about Vancouver is true. When the weather is nice, outdoor activities are much more abundant in Vancouver. People not only go to the beach, play volleyball on the beach, swim, go kayaking, go sailing, go mountain hiking etc, they also do all the things outdoors that you can do in London, sit in parks, ride a bike, albeit the 29K seawall in Vancouver is amazing for bike riding and walking.

In winter the activities change. People still go downhill skiing 20 minutes from downtown. They even go after work. You see people on transit with snowboards heading to the mountains across the harbour.

As I said, and stand by. Vancouver is much more an outdoor city than London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather