Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:31 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
My ideal seasons:
Highs of 90F low of 75F - 365 days a year
Only differences between one part of the year to the next is the amount of rainfall
I guess an equatorial climate, especially an oceanic one would do for you which by default doesn't really have any seasons.

I am personally a heat lover, but if it came to choosing a tropical clime, I would like a tropical wet-and-dry climate to allow enough seasonality to feel the passing of time over the course of a year and avoid monotony. Some wet-and-dry climates do have a little bit of seasonality in temps (33C/25C before the "wet" to 31/19 in the dry like Darwin, or 27C/14C in the dry to 36C/25C before the "wet" and 32/26C in the wet, in Calcutta)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I guess an equatorial climate, especially an oceanic one would do for you which by default doesn't really have any seasons.

I am personally a heat lover, but if it came to choosing a tropical clime, I would like a tropical wet-and-dry climate to allow enough seasonality to feel the passing of time over the course of a year and avoid monotony. Some wet-and-dry climates do have a little bit of seasonality in temps (33C/25C before the "wet" to 31/19 in the dry like Darwin, or 27C/14C in the dry to 36C/25C before the "wet" and 32/26C in the wet, in Calcutta)
Yes, you're right. The less seasonality a place has particularly temperature wise, the better I like the climate. For me, Singapore would be my ideal place to live.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
My ideal seasons:
Highs of 90F low of 75F - 365 days a year
Only differences between one part of the year to the next is the amount of rainfall
Quote:
The less seasonality a place has particularly temperature wise, the better I like the climate.
Here's an example of a climate that has rather extreme well-defined seasonality in rainfall, but not so much temperature (though it doesn't quite reach the stability of a pure equatorial climate as your ideal, but it's interesting in that it can keep a decent temp stability in such a contrast between wet and dry). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calicut#Climate in India.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:13 PM

678 posts, read 1,205,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Here's an example of a climate that has rather extreme well-defined seasonality in rainfall, but not so much temperature (though it doesn't quite reach the stability of a pure equatorial climate as your ideal). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calicut#Climate in India.
Seems like the sky cracks open over India.

Summer: Stormy like it's in my city, but a little hotter, just like how it's getting due to global warming. 20º/30º 300mm/month

Fall: Suddenly change of temperature, but still with some showers.
12º/22º 100mm monthly

Winter: Domain of cold and snow, still some humidity(my winter's dry)
0º/10º 80mm

Spring: A mix of summer and winter. Return of storms but some frost especially on the early of it.
13º/24º

Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
What's your definition of the seasons?

Houston, Texas...

Summer: lows in the mid 70sF, highs around 90F
Spring: lows in the low 60sF, highs around 75F
Winter: lows in the 50sF, highs around 65F
Fall: lows in the mid 60sF, highs around 75F

I like a combination of summer and spring. Winters are way too cold.

Are you sure you live in Houston? Because when I lived there it was either 110, 70, or 20 depending on the time of year it was.

busta

Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times
My definitions of the seasons on how they should be:

Summer- Hot enough to jump in a pool, go to the beach, or do any other kinds of water sports (Kayaking, white water rafting, boating, etc.). Then cool evenings with just a couple of warm nights, for night swimming .
(Though I wish it lasted only one month )

Fall- Cool days with crisp nights. Leaves changing colors and some occasional light showers. Halloween should be just right, Thanksgiving can be a toss up of some cold ones and some cool ones, but NEVER hot!

Winter- Cold enough that you should never use shorts. From heavy jacket to light sweater. SNOW a plus! Cold nights with no bugs. Preferably snow covered most of the time, but not SNOWING all the time.

Spring- Getting warmer, but stayin cool. Spring flowers coming up. Grass turning green, leaves blooming, and of course some light showers, but sporadic.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Are you sure you live in Houston? Because when I lived there it was either 110, 70, or 20 depending on the time of year it was.

busta
110F and 20F are quite rare here, at least in Houston proper which usually has a winter low between 25 and 32F. I live in Katy (a bit west of Houston) , with much wider temperature spans, 20F is a somewhat uncommon occurrence, but not rare. 100F+ in summer isn't either...

I'm enjoying the 70F while it last (although we reached 90F today)

Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Winter: Snowy with temperatures generally below 35 F
Early spring: Chilly with highs in the 40s and 50s
Mid-spring: Milder with highs in the 60s. Average high reaches 70 F around mid-May.
Late spring: Highs in the 70s
Summer: 75 F+ (average summer highs are between 80-85 F), sunny, often humid
Early fall: Sunny and warm with highs in the 60s and 70s
Mid to late fall: Noticeably cooler with highs generally in the 50s and 60s. Crisper, falling leaves, etc.

Classic four season climate, albeit more moderate compared to parts of the midwest. Highest temperature most years are at least 95 F, lowest temperature 0 to -10 F. January's average temperature is 24 F, July's average temperature is 71 F. I'm pretty content with the climate here. Only thing I don't like are the summers. Highs in the 60s and 70s with low humidity (unless there's thunderstorms) would be ideal.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Early Winter: Snow-covered but with bare spots, highs 19-32F
Mid Winter: Deep snowpack. Highs 10-18F
Late Winter: Snow covered but snow turning soft in sunny areas. highs 19-32F
Early Spring: Snow-covered but with slushy areas, highs 33-40F
Mid-Spring: Ground bare but still no blooming, highs 41-59F
Late Spring: Grass turning green, trees in bloom. highs 60-70F
Summer: Green trees, green grass, wildflowers in full bloom. highs 70-85F
Early fall: Trees starting to turn, grass turning yellow. Highs 55-69F
Mid Fall: Trees in full color, grass turning brown from overnight frosts. Highs 43-54F
Late Fall: Trees bare, grass brown. Overcast skies. Highs 33-42F.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 PM

497 posts, read 1,088,240 times
Summer is the period in which sea swimming is comfortable, so generally December-March, or November- early April if we're lucky.
Winter is the period when maximum temperatures on some days can get cold, 9-11C/48-52F, there is always a chill in the air on those sort of days. So generally June to August.
Spring and Autumn just fill in the gaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather