Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate This Climate: Miami, FL
A 21 20.39%
B 27 26.21%
C 17 16.50%
D 10 9.71%
F 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Boy, your still really bitter from our toss on the Connecticut page.

Don't worry, you were not worth the time then...your not worth the time now
AND.......

Your

You're

pick up a dictionary....

Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Lol....what? When was I ever arguing the opposite? Unlike most heat-misers I can actually accept the fact that other people have different weather preferences. Something that warm-weather loving folk like you seem to have a hard time grasping.
I can kinda understand why some people would like cool weather. But people who like seriously cold weather escapes me. Even 30F seems too much, though I guess people want the feel of winter and snow, so that makes sense. But 10F? -10F? Even colder? That's possibly life threatening without good gear. I really don't get your preferences.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Time to set things straight here:

#1. Humidity:

A "little" humidity. A LITTLE????? When you're standing there and you can feel the water in the air or your sweating standing still THATS A LOT.

Florida is a Penisula, humidty is always high in summer. Source for Miami Humidty: Average Relative Humidity(%)

Humidity in Afternoons is 80%s, mornings its 60%s. Temperature average is mid to upper 80s.
Left square is mornings...Right square for afternoons...

There has to be a screw loose somewhere to think having Extreme Caution and Danger level heat index is enjoyable.

As an electrician I absolutely prefer 20 degrees over 80 degrees any time and day. It's not enjoyable working while sweating and having bugs all over you. As a personal preference I enjoy temps under 70 but prefer under 30.

It's easier to warm up then cool down unless you're a hermit (which I am in summertime) and stay in the A/C.

THATS #1.

#2. Weather Fatalities:

This stat should say it all... Its Inhumane to like the heat. Its not safe, its not healthy. In 1995 there were over 1000 heat related incidents. But Heat is #1 cause of death.

THATS #2.

#3. Migration: Be careful when trying to explain people moving to the south. It gets tricky with politics & economy related. People are Moving OUT of the south because of Hurricanes, higher insurance, and even higher unemployment numbers, low paying jobs, ect..

People moving out of part of the NorthEast because property taxes are high, traffic insane, ect. ect. ect.

One thing is for sure... you have to take account the percentage of people STAYING in Florida as opposed to MOVING there.

Using data obtained from Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, a recent AP analysis showed there has been a 30 percent drop in driver’s license applications during the past five years. This corroborates relocation trends.

The Trend is WEST & EAST not South. Blues represent more moving into. Yellows show more moving out of. Reds show an even move in/move out.

I hope you enjoyed my facts here:

Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
^Great post. Always good to hear a perspective from someone who works outdoors. I worked outdoors for the past three summers and it is simply awful having to constantly stay hydrated and avoiding the sun. I nearly had heatstroke last summer and it wasn't on the hottest days (at or near 100 F) of the summer, it was when it was humid and in the upper 80s.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,999 times
100F is much more tolerable then 30F IMO .

Old 05-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
100F is much more tolerable then 30F IMO .
No way

Old 05-06-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Time to set things straight here:

#1. Humidity:

A "little" humidity. A LITTLE????? When you're standing there and you can feel the water in the air or your sweating standing still THATS A LOT.

Florida is a Penisula, humidty is always high in summer. Source for Miami Humidty: Average Relative Humidity(%)

Humidity in Afternoons is 80%s, mornings its 60%s. Temperature average is mid to upper 80s.
Left square is mornings...Right square for afternoons...

There has to be a screw loose somewhere to think having Extreme Caution and Danger level heat index is enjoyable.

As an electrician I absolutely prefer 20 degrees over 80 degrees any time and day. It's not enjoyable working while sweating and having bugs all over you. As a personal preference I enjoy temps under 70 but prefer under 30.

It's easier to warm up then cool down unless you're a hermit (which I am in summertime) and stay in the A/C.

THATS #1.

#2. Weather Fatalities:

This stat should say it all... Its Inhumane to like the heat. Its not safe, its not healthy. In 1995 there were over 1000 heat related incidents. But Heat is #1 cause of death.

THATS #2.

#3. Migration: Be careful when trying to explain people moving to the south. It gets tricky with politics & economy related. People are Moving OUT of the south because of Hurricanes, higher insurance, and even higher unemployment numbers, low paying jobs, ect..

People moving out of part of the NorthEast because property taxes are high, traffic insane, ect. ect. ect.

One thing is for sure... you have to take account the percentage of people STAYING in Florida as opposed to MOVING there.

Using data obtained from Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, a recent AP analysis showed there has been a 30 percent drop in driver’s license applications during the past five years. This corroborates relocation trends.

The Trend is WEST & EAST not South. Blues represent more moving into. Yellows show more moving out of. Reds show an even move in/move out.

I hope you enjoyed my facts here:
Great post!!..nobody can argue with these facts...very hot weather is dangerous..not to mention being the driving force of severe weather.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Miami, all the time...A plus weather...

During a hurricane...F....

I don't mind the humidity, would rather have heat than snow.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
My perspective is this and I know a lot of people won't agree with this.
If you had 2 naked humans standing outside, one on a hot summer day in Miami when the temperature was 95F with 70% humidity and another one standing outside on a cold winter day in Winnipeg when the temperature was -30F with a windchill of -50F who would die first?
Of course both in time would die, one from dehydration and heat stroke and the other from hypothermia and frostbite but I am willing to bet the naked human in Winnipeg would die first. I guess it just shows that humans are more adapted to warm tropical conditions than extreme cold conditions naturally and the only way we can live in cold conditions is by wearing clothes and building other adaptations.
I always felt extreme discomfort and pain in cold even if I was heavily dressed but I always felt happy and content when I was hot and sweaty...
So Miami will always win out for me than a place that gets cold and snow.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
My perspective is this and I know a lot of people won't agree with this.
If you had 2 naked humans standing outside, one on a hot summer day in Miami when the temperature was 95F with 70% humidity and another one standing outside on a cold winter day in Winnipeg when the temperature was -30F with a windchill of -50F who would die first?
Of course both in time would die, one from dehydration and heat stroke and the other from hypothermia and frostbite but I am willing to bet the naked human in Winnipeg would die first. I guess it just shows that humans are more adapted to warm tropical conditions than extreme cold conditions naturally and the only way we can live in cold conditions is by wearing clothes and building other adaptations.
I always felt extreme discomfort and pain in cold even if I was heavily dressed but I always felt happy and content when I was hot and sweaty...
So Miami will always win out for me than a place that gets cold and snow.
You are disputing the facts though..more people die from heat than cold....its just a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.