Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate This Climate: Miami, FL
A 21 20.39%
B 27 26.21%
C 17 16.50%
D 10 9.71%
F 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
You are disputing the facts though..more people die from heat than cold....its just a fact.
So you think that a naked person would last longer outdoors in a Winnipeg winter than a Miami summer? What reasons do you think so?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,926,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
My perspective is this and I know a lot of people won't agree with this.
If you had 2 naked humans standing outside, one on a hot summer day in Miami when the temperature was 95F with 70% humidity and another one standing outside on a cold winter day in Winnipeg when the temperature was -30F with a windchill of -50F who would die first?
Of course both in time would die, one from dehydration and heat stroke and the other from hypothermia and frostbite but I am willing to bet the naked human in Winnipeg would die first. I guess it just shows that humans are more adapted to warm tropical conditions than extreme cold conditions naturally and the only way we can live in cold conditions is by wearing clothes and building other adaptations.
I always felt extreme discomfort and pain in cold even if I was heavily dressed but I always felt happy and content when I was hot and sweaty...
So Miami will always win out for me than a place that gets cold and snow.
I agree with denab's post above!

Also in another recent thread this is why me, denab and people like that like warm/hot weather so much and prefer it over cold weather:

Quote:
In terms of why I like warm/hot weather so much, it's because it gives me such a psychological boost and high to feel warm. It makes me happy, relaxed and just plain in a good mood. When I'm cold and shivering it makes me cranky and irritable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I also like warm/hot weather for similar reasons. I also just feel more comfortable in warm/hot weather than cold weather. Also, warm/hot weather just seems superior to cold weather. Cold weather kills plants and agriculture. Warm/hot weather helps support the planet more with food from agriculture and plants. It also generally helps support a person more than cold weather too.

However, I can put myself in a good mood even if the weather/climate isn't always warm.
And I like snow sometimes, especially on mountainous terrain so I would just put up with the cold weather then.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Lol, temps in the 80s in summer in Miami? Did you go to Miami, OH by accident?

And the sea breeze is way overblown by people. It's not that refreshing. It feels like a giant fart is blowing around. What good is a breeze if it's 92 degrees with 59% humidity?

I rate Miami's climate an F.

LOL..on the fart comment and oh so true....FL is a miserable place more than half the year.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
So you think that a naked person would last longer outdoors in a Winnipeg winter than a Miami summer? What reasons do you think so?
Well no if I was naked outside I'd rather it be in warm weather...but who the hell stands outside naked in either case? Thats the point we can bundle up. We can only take off so many clothes. Heat waves kill more people than cold snaps...again..just a fact.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times
Quote:
Besides that, the heat is much more dangerous if you are in the elements too long simply because you have no protection.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Besides that, the heat is much more dangerous if you are in the elements too long simply because you have no protection.
If you were sitting still you would be fine for a very long time. And once you had water, the danger would be almost zero.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Dear Lord people.

Our bodies are naturally warm inside. It takes minutes for the blood to boil and to get a sun stroke. It takes longer to get hypothermia. But how do we even start comparing temperatures?

When comparing facts you can't use apples and oranges. It's not about standing naked... its about how to be comfortable. You can put on a fur coat in minus 10 degrees and be warm but in 100 degrees you can only take off so much to be cool unless you use a wet towel and stand there.

I think the bottom line here is not only personal preference but to know the fact that too much heat like in this rated Climate of Miami is not a good thing.

Typically people are comfortable between 68-77. So to hear someone likes it above 85 and humid is just beyond my imagination.

Miami Gets an F

Here's another way to look at it... Our bodies normal temp is 98.6 degrees .... Isn't funny how just 10 degrees higher outside and we get heat strokes but yet it can be 60 degrees lower outside at 38 degrees and we'll be fine.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM

769 posts, read 1,732,172 times
85 is only a couple degrees over most people's ideal temperature. I don't think anyone is going to say they like 38 degrees. Ok, you're wearing a coat. So the temperature inside the coat is 80 degrees. You're getting the same feeling we get here except we can do it without the heavy clothes.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,926,035 times
Well then if 98 degrees is someone's body temperature, then technically the ideal temperatures seems to be in the 65 degrees to 98 degrees range and it shows that humans are warm blooded and need warm temperatures to support themselves much more than cold temperatures.

If it is below 50 degrees, someone can get a fever, flu,and cold if they don't have layers of clothing on. If it is below 40 degrees and someone doesn't cover themselves up with layers they can die of hyperthermia, or frostbite.

Also, agriculture(where all the food is originally grown) needs mild and warm temperatures. Cold freezing temperatures kills agriculture and doesnt allow agriculture to exist. Also mild and warm temperatures are needed for plants of all types to exist such as trees.

And look at this way, what is superior? If it is 65 degrees to 98 degrees year round or if it is 40 degrees or colder year round?

Last time I checked billions of people live in tropical regions of the world while the north and south poles and arctic places like that nobody really lives there and they are uninhabitable.

So I just proved to you how warm, hot, and mild temperatures are superior to cold and freezing temperatures for humans and for this planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Dear Lord people.

Our bodies are naturally warm inside. It takes minutes for the blood to boil and to get a sun stroke. It takes longer to get hypothermia. But how do we even start comparing temperatures?

When comparing facts you can't use apples and oranges. It's not about standing naked... its about how to be comfortable. You can put on a fur coat in minus 10 degrees and be warm but in 100 degrees you can only take off so much to be cool unless you use a wet towel and stand there.

I think the bottom line here is not only personal preference but to know the fact that too much heat like in this rated Climate of Miami is not a good thing.

Typically people are comfortable between 68-77. So to hear someone likes it above 85 and humid is just beyond my imagination.

Miami Gets an F

Here's another way to look at it... Our bodies normal temp is 98.6 degrees .... Isn't funny how just 10 degrees higher outside and we get heat strokes but yet it can be 60 degrees lower outside at 38 degrees and we'll be fine.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Last time I checked we had clothes. And of course there's that little discovery called fire. Based on the logic of some here, we should all just start packing our things and moving south since we would die naked in 40 degree weather. That makes almost the entire US inhabitable since most places dip below 40 at some point in the year.

If heat lovers are so tolerant of heat, why does virtually every place have air conditioning during the summer? They're clearly not as heat tolerant as they claim. They want a cool place to work and play in when it's 95 F and swampy outside. Keep in mind that the south did not see significant growth until A/C came around. I've worked outdoors during the summer and it is not fun trying to stay hydrated, constantly sweat, deal with sunburn, avoid heatstoke, etc. On the flipside, I could spend hours being bundled up outdoors in cold weather and feel perfectly comfortable. You can only take off so much during the summer and still have problems, but you can almost always put enough on in the winters and be fine. Who faces more risk? Someone wearing a jacket, gloves, hat, warm boots, etc. at 35 F or someone in shorts and a t-shirt at 95 F?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather