Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

For me, the crime, certain laws, and just how hard it is to emigrate to emigrate there make it impossible for me to ever live there. Jamaica sucks for the reasons ColdCanadian mentioned. Sadly, the only good warm countries to live in are Singapore and Australia. The rest need some sort of compromise on convenience, services, safety, etc. The bad thing about the U.S. since there's only a few places where a frosting cold front comes down and it has little effect, and that has the consequence of making people crowd around each other like south Florida. Well, rural Dade county exists, but that is a pretty far drive from Miami. I'd move back to Puerto Rico, if the economy improves more, the crime doesn't bother me since I know how to navigate around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Not to mention it being one of the most dangerous countries in the world: List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have the same reservation with South Africa. In my view there are very few (if any) countries that can beat South Africa for climate, but it's just too dangerous for me to consider moving there.

Other than that, my main problem seems to be that my favourite climates are in very remote places like Easter Island and Pitcairn Islands or housing / cost of living is too expensive like Hawaii and Australia.
I feel the same. Sure, both of us have the language skills to live outside the capital regions (especially you), but there comes a point where driving more than an hour to get to an international airport of good size becomes taxing. Course, that's not a problem for you is it? I think you could make regional Australia work.......depending on your job and skills. I'd move to regional northern QLD but having family in the Caribbean and England would make it impossible. Eastern and northern South America and Africa are the only continents that would work for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
I'm like you guys, technically my favorite climates are in the Caribbean or northern Brazil. But I can't see myself living there for all the reason you mentioned - too remote, too boring, too dangerous, not developed enough, etc.

That's why my top choices for immigration are Singapore, Australia or perhaps California. I previously thought about Hong Kong but after spending 1 year there I really can't see myself living there for really long (overcrowded, too polluted, noisy, too dense, too oppressive architecture and lifestyle, = exhausting, too cloudy in spring, too cold in winter, no citizenship opportunities, disappearance of English - though I speak Mandarin, but not Cantonese, and not fluently enough, etc.)
I haven't been to Miami yet but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like its atmosphere. I might be wrong though, that's why I'm planning to visit it one day.

It's sad how we heat lovers have few choices in terms of places which are, at the same time :
1. Major cities
2. In developed countries
3. With warm weather

If you consider places with virtually no winter, there's only Singapore, Miami and Dubai; though for lows above 20°C all year, there's only Singapore.
If you consider places with very mild winters, e.g. lows above 10°C, you add Hong Kong, Taipei and Brisbane.
If you consider places with mild winters, say highs above 15°C, you can add Los Angeles, San Diego, Seville, Sydney, Perth.

That's fairly limited. Any others I forgot?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I'm like you guys, technically my favorite climates are in the Caribbean or northern Brazil. But I can't see myself living there for all the reason you mentioned - too remote, too boring, too dangerous, not developed enough, etc.

That's why my top choices for immigration are Singapore, Australia or perhaps California. I previously thought about Hong Kong but after spending 1 year there I really can't see myself living there for really long (overcrowded, too polluted, noisy, too dense, too oppressive architecture and lifestyle, = exhausting, too cloudy in spring, too cold in winter, no citizenship opportunities, disappearance of English - though I speak Mandarin, but not Cantonese, and not fluently enough, etc.)
I haven't been to Miami yet but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like its atmosphere. I might be wrong though, that's why I'm planning to visit it one day.

It's sad how we heat lovers have few choices in terms of places which are, at the same time :
1. Major cities
2. In developed countries
3. With warm weather

If you consider places with virtually no winter, there's only Singapore, Miami and Dubai; though for lows above 20°C all year, there's only Singapore.
If you consider places with very mild winters, e.g. lows above 10°C, you add Hong Kong, Taipei and Brisbane.
If you consider places with mild winters, say highs above 15°C, you can add Los Angeles, San Diego, Seville, Sydney, Perth.

That's fairly limited. Any others I forgot?
The bad part about living in the US if you are not an American is that the chances to come live here are extremely limited. You can always be a snowbird for 3 months, though. That's almost all of winter gone. It's almost exclusively retired Canadians and Americans from the Upper Midwest and Northeast that do this, though

Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Barbados is developed, and is English speaking so if you speak fluent English you'd have no issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgetown#Climate

Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Barbados is developed, and is English speaking so if you speak fluent English you'd have no issues.

Bridgetown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's right There's also the Bahamas. Though both of them are quite particular, being island nations with a very small population...

Edit : I forgot :
- in the "mild winters" category, there's also Tel Aviv, but I guess it would be impossible to fit in if you're not Jewish and everything. Plus the political situation is far from tempting. For similar reasons of culture, language and religion, I'd also instantly discard Qatar (its climate is not even appreciable, with highs above 40°C for 3 months, excessive drought, etc.)
Brunei sounds like a boring, conservative country (no alcohol!) with no real economy, its wealth being solely based on oil.

Last edited by dhdh; 03-11-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The bad part about living in the US if you are not an American is that the chances to come live here are extremely limited. You can always be a snowbird for 3 months, though. That's almost all of winter gone. It's almost exclusively retired Canadians and Americans from the Upper Midwest and Northeast that do this, though
I'm told that it's easy to overstay if you're refer from a developed country; especially from Canada (you don't even get passport stamps on both sides of the border if you're a citizen of either country, so it's easy to be untracked). Employment opportunities might be a bit limited. Met a Canadian who lived here for 4 years or so working odd jobs.

Used to be easier to move here while ignoring the rules. Dad managed back in the 70s (though he had valid visas most of the time, I think). After 40 years of living in this country and growing up in a tropical country he now can't take heat.

Honolulu was overlooked in the list. I guess not big enough. Maybe Costa Rica should be added; not fully developed, but from other non-wealth indicators it does well.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
I've found a place whose climate I really like and where I'd love to actually live. Bermuda. Climate seems just perfect for me, and kept very warm for its latitude by the gulfstream. Temps are very comfortable and never very cold, and thunderstorms are common.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Bermuda is quite difficult to move to though, unless you have a six digit bank account balance

Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm told that it's easy to overstay if you're refer from a developed country; especially from Canada (you don't even get passport stamps on both sides of the border if you're a citizen of either country, so it's easy to be untracked). Employment opportunities might be a bit limited. Met a Canadian who lived here for 4 years or so working odd jobs.

Used to be easier to move here while ignoring the rules. Dad managed back in the 70s (though he had valid visas most of the time, I think). After 40 years of living in this country and growing up in a tropical country he now can't take heat.

Honolulu was overlooked in the list. I guess not big enough. Maybe Costa Rica should be added; not fully developed, but from other non-wealth indicators it does well.
I thought it was weird when I was transiting through Canada to get to the UK my passport was not stamped but my fiancee's was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Bermuda is quite difficult to move to though, unless you have a six digit bank account balance
Yeah, I thought so as well. Same with the Caymans. That's the problem with small, developed islands. So little room that the space seems to be reserved more for locals than outsiders

Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
For me, the crime, certain laws, and just how hard it is to emigrate to emigrate there make it impossible for me to ever live there. Jamaica sucks for the reasons ColdCanadian mentioned. Sadly, the only good warm countries to live in are Singapore and Australia. The rest need some sort of compromise on convenience, services, safety, etc. The bad thing about the U.S. since there's only a few places where a frosting cold front comes down and it has little effect, and that has the consequence of making people crowd around each other like south Florida. Well, rural Dade county exists, but that is a pretty far drive from Miami. I'd move back to Puerto Rico, if the economy improves more, the crime doesn't bother me since I know how to navigate around it.

I feel the same. Sure, both of us have the language skills to live outside the capital regions (especially you), but there comes a point where driving more than an hour to get to an international airport of good size becomes taxing. Course, that's not a problem for you is it? I think you could make regional Australia work.......depending on your job and skills. I'd move to regional northern QLD but having family in the Caribbean and England would make it impossible. Eastern and northern South America and Africa are the only continents that would work for me
Puerto Rico has very warm winters, warmer winter average than Darwin, yet few Americans go there to live. I wonder if it were to become a state if that would change. I kind of doubt it cause it just feels a bit foreign with the population being spanish speaking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather