Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times

Advertisements

So the first half of December in Buxton averages at 1.5°C / 34.7°F. An improvement to be seen for the second half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM

234 posts, read 214,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Great map, really tells the story. Looking at my lawn, can't believe how it looks, if it were dry out, I could mow!!

We had some snow on the ground as of nightfall last night, but it's all gone this morning and had heavy fog. Had close to 1/2 in rain last night and now it's 42f out. The maps Cambium has put up about this next storm system need to put that low a bit further south. If it runs where it's at we're only going to get a mix of rain and snow again. It needs to run down by Chicago to make it decent snow for our region. Used to see tourist rolling into town pulling trailer after trailer with sleds loaded on them, but not this year so far.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Default Fort Collins, Colorado USA

Accuweather is predicting 4-8 inches of snow in the Ft. Collins area for Tuesday night. Of course, an Accuweather forecast of accumulating snow is the absolute kiss of death. There will be nothing. I'll take pictures of the non snow event and put them in the forum Wednesday

Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,985 times
This winter has been mild so far... I hope this changes in January though with at least one major snowstorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
March of 2012 was beyond warm, it was an epic blowtorch.
March was a blowtorch last year - it was warmer than April in parts of Ontario.

I was in Ottawa when the monthly record was broken (27.4°C/81.3°F). It was interesting walking around in that kind of heat with a huge amount of snowfall still on the ground. It was the first time I witnessed a monthly record temp being broken too.

Last edited by Humid Subtropical; 12-16-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Accuweather is predicting 4-8 inches of snow in the Ft. Collins area for Tuesday night. Of course, an Accuweather forecast of accumulating snow is the absolute kiss of death. There will be nothing. I'll take pictures of the non snow event and put them in the forum Wednesday
Now they have upped it to 6-10 inches. Accuweather, please stop! We need the snow badly.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
Still waiting for winter to get here!

I think I would rather move to California than have November weather for 4 months straight.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
March was a blowtorch last year - it was warmer than April in parts of Ontario.

I was in Ottawa when the monthly record was broken (27.4°C/81.3°F). It was interesting walking around in that kind of heat with a huge amount of snowfall still on the ground. It was the first time I witnessed a monthly record temp being broken too.
Interesting. I guess you got a preview of what certain locations in the West experience when the snowpack lingers on into summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Still waiting for winter to get here!

I think I would rather move to California than have November weather for 4 months straight.
I imagine that autumns persisting for 6 or 7 months would be stressful on most of us snow fans. Autumns persisting through winter is what you tried to move away from, if I'm not mistaken. If I were moving from the South to a more northerly location, I'd pick a spot with much more secure winters than Ann Arbor, practicalities of your situation aside. With December and February averaging a high of 35F and January 31F, it is very easy to get warm enough to make rain and melt snow, and records stand in the 60's and 70's. In my opinion, the best American winters are to be found in certain spots in the Mountain West and Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You can clearly see the trough out west now. Not something Ski resorts in the East want to see.
One man's loss is another man's gain. I'm sure the ski resorts in the West are liking a trough in their region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Great map, really tells the story. Looking at my lawn, can't believe how it looks, if it were dry out, I could mow!!
Is your grass green? I've heard of people mowing grass in autumn after the grass turns dormant, and it sounds ridiculous to me. Then again, I detest mowing grass (especially that cut grass smell - yuck!). An advantage of snow removal vs. lawnmowing is that snow doesn't stink.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Fairbanks, Alaska hit -48ºF this AM. This is the coldest temp. measured in December since 1999.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
The running December average here up to the 15th is 6.4C, against the LTA of 8.0C...

Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Eastern Europe does have some mighty real winter this year. Look at pictures, you don't have to know Cyrillic alphabet for that.

Ñí³ãîâ³ çàìåòè íà òðàñ³ Êè¿â–×îï | Óêðà¿íñüêà ïðàâäà
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather