Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Can't be bothered looking up exact figures, but I remember thinking it was really quite something for May 2012 to have a shot at breaking the all-time dullness record (coming straight after a record-wet April) until the last week turned out really sunny, only for the exact same thing to happen again in June and July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan7 View Post
LOL you bet. All three summer months were insanely dull. In fact I believe last summer was one of the cloudiest on record, with about 50% of the normal sunshine hours or something across the country. It was also something like the 2nd wettest on record.
Addressing both of you at the same time, I thought my OH was exaggerating (I was thinking, oh typical Brit, always exaggerating about how awful summer is there) when she said that I came to England at a time where the weather was at its most " stereotypically British". I enjoyed it to be quite honest, especially since when June came around and it was time to go home to a very humid hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Whole Album of the NY flooding yesterday/today

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7668476&type=1

Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Carbon Copy.

Everything so scattered out there but most of them are intense. Tornado and TS Warnings on many of them. Yellow background is Thunderstorm Watches.

Arrows are surface winds. Now figure out how the winds are aloft and you'll see why there are Tornado warnings and funnels forming. Lots of spin and cross winds out there.

Learn about the Right Rear Quad of the Jet which is where ther philly metro area is now. Right rear is always the most intense of the system. Right front is not and so here's a good post by Matt.

Though instability continues to build thru late day/eve, 300mb jet streak over PA/NY puts New England in unfavorable (for storm growth) right front quadrant - put simply, the winds aloft will not favor rapid ascent of air, meaning strong updrafts in storms become less likely as the eve wears on, and Central/Eastern New England end up with a pretty nice Friday evening. What storms do continue to develop will be monitored for heavy rain & surging wind, but trend will be to peel storms west gradually, and perhaps most on guard this eve will be Southern Vermont and Southwest New Hampshire, as numerous downpours move thru an already waterlogged area.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Here comes the garbage weather in from Canada. Winds turned northeast off the lake, temps took a dive from 28C to 21C in an hour, and we will be stuck like this for the me t few days. Disgusting way to start July

Quote:
Weather pattern Update into the End of July
June 28, 2013; 2:27 PM
Summer heat likely to take hold from west to east across a large chunk of Canada over the next few weeks as the main jet stream weakens and shifts north.
Hottest weather for the Prairies in the short range will likely be in the Thursday/Friday period of next week with temperatures well above normal from Alberta through Manitoba.
It appears that this very warm air mass could spread into eastern Canada by next weekend (July 6th/7th)
Fairly dry pattern shaping up across most of the Prairies during the first week of July.
Temperatures will continue to average above normal throughout much of western and central Canada for the first week of July.
Below is my interpretation of the latest ECMWF model long range......

Weather pattern Update into the End of July - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog

Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
Beautiful way to start July!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:48 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Here comes the garbage weather in from Canada. Winds turned northeast off the lake, temps took a dive from 28C to 21C in an hour, and we will be stuck like this for the me t few days. Disgusting way to start July

Weather pattern Update into the End of July - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog
Sounds good to me

As long as that suffocating hot humid air stays south of the border

Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,985 times
Flooding in Kitchener, Ontario

Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Sounds good to me

As long as that suffocating hot humid air stays south of the border
You can keep your Canadian air mass north of the border until December please!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,918,126 times
Right now in Death Valley 51ºC

Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
I've driven home from work in torrential downpours and thunderstorms on 3 of 5 days this week from Monday - Friday. Yuck. On Monday, it was looking like stormy weather the direction I was headed. I was on the highway, and it was totally dry where I was, but up ahead it looked all misty and blurry and I started to see brake lights light up on all the cars in front of me. Sure enough, I drove right into it. Extremely heavy rain all the sudden. Needed to turn my windshield wipers from off to their highest speed and flip on my headlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather