Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times

Advertisements

The climate, winter, northern MN.
Yes, my favorite climate is very similar to northern MN or just a little colder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
What climate were you born in? And, does your favorite climate matches the one you were born in? For me, yes. I was born in a tropical climate and my favorite climate is tropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats nonsense.

If you were to look at my weather reports you'd see that its not as mild as you'd think and we do get snow- Infact its colder here right now and has been for ages than the NE of the USA.It isn't constant drizzle. Infact, it hardly ever drizzles here.

You need to realise also that the British Isles is not only London. London has quite a different climate than the rest of the country, infact i'd say it would be more similar to the likes of Dunkirk or Calais.
Lol, I know the geography of the British Isles quite well. From what you describe, from where you live is like the Buxton of NI apparently, hardly representative of the British Isles. Your local climate is not the norm, more the exception.

And actually, if we assume you live near Coleraine and I live near Harrisburg, our lows were about the same, plus or minus a few degrees Celsius. I live near Washington, DC as well, near the southern border of the NE USA. Where Cambium and nei live the lows were much lower than both of ours.

Monthly Weather Forecast for Coleraine, United Kingdom - weather.com

Monthly Weather Forecast for Harrisburg, PA - weather.com

Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I don't keep a record but I know my average low last month was 3c which is well below.

Think it'd be about 2c so far.
Mean max don't know, but will be around 6c. I'm doubtful that your average high is 9c.

I'd rather have a cold day and a medium min than a warm day and a low min.
No official stats provided by the MET office?

It was 9 C just a moment ago when I was typing the post, but the official data just crept up to 10 C since today's a little above average. Keep in mind one day is missing due to power outage, but I do know that day was below average so it probably is really around 9 C. This month's average high will still most likely end up cooler than 10 C since maxes are forecasted to drop back below average starting Saturday.

I thought you were annoyed with the lack of freezes in your area?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM

197 posts, read 176,842 times
I was born and raised in an oceanic climate in Germany/Netherlands with cool wet winters (0C-5C) and warm summers (20C-25C). I don't like it because there is not much variety. I'd love to live in a continental climate with much snow and hot summers with frequent thunderstorms

Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I feel sorry for you guys born in France and the UK (seems like our Weather regulars are only from those 2 EU nations, except one from Finland and another from Estonia). Born in countries that are convection graveyards with slate gray skies all winter and yucky cold drizzle
I feel lucky that I live in the mildest and sunniest area in the whole country (and a large part of the continent). Where I work (Monaco) most likely has the single mildest climate in continental Europe after Menton (which is, as a matter of fact, just next to it):

Average January low:

Heraklion (insular): 9.0°C
Palermo (insular): 8.2°C
Menton: 8.2°C
Almeria: 8.2°C (my new favorite climate in Europe btw )
Monaco: 8.1°C
Malaga: 7.3°C
Valencia: 7.0°C
Alicante: 6.2°C
Patras: 6.1°C
Nice: 5.3°C
Catania (insular): 5.3°C
Bastia (insular): 5.1°C
Bari: 5.0°C
Barcelona: 4.4°C
Ajaccio (insular): 3.9°C
Naples: 3.8°C
Cordoba: 3.7°C
Marseille: 2.9°C
Athens: 2.7°C
Thessaloniki: 1.3°C
Granada: 1.3°C

Can anyone find a milder place than Menton in mainland Europe?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
I would like to know why Nice has warmer winter minimums than here (by 4C in the coldest month), when both have similar winter maximums, sea temps and sun hours.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
No official stats provided by the MET office?

It was 9 C just a moment ago when I was typing the post, but the official data just crept up to 10 C since today's a little above average. Keep in mind one day is missing due to power outage, but I do know that day was below average so it probably is really around 9 C. This month's average high will still most likely end up cooler than 10 C since maxes are forecasted to drop back below average starting Saturday.

I thought you were annoyed with the lack of freezes in your area?
Take absolutely no notice of him - he talks pure crap. There are seven NI official weather stations on this site The month so far - in the British Isles from St Angelo to Glenanne and all have had average highs between 8-9C and lows between 3-5C. Five of the seven NI sites have had at least some frost (there is no data for how many) but none has gone below -2.0C.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I would like to know why Nice has warmer winter minimums than here (by 4C in the coldest month), when both have similar winter maximums, sea temps and sun hours.
Well, Nice does have a mountain range sitting behind it. Maybe that explains it, it's a sheltered location

Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, Nice does have a mountain range sitting behind it. Maybe that explains it, it's a sheltered location
Same as here though. The mountains (6000 ft ) are just across the river.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I feel lucky that I live in the mildest and sunniest area in the whole country (and a large part of the continent). Where I work (Monaco) most likely has the single mildest climate in continental Europe after Menton (which is, as a matter of fact, just next to it):

Average January low:

Heraklion (insular): 9.0°C
Palermo (insular): 8.2°C
Menton: 8.2°C
Almeria: 8.2°C (my new favorite climate in Europe btw )
Monaco: 8.1°C
Malaga: 7.3°C
Valencia: 7.0°C
Alicante: 6.2°C
Patras: 6.1°C
Nice: 5.3°C
Catania (insular): 5.3°C
Bastia (insular): 5.1°C
Bari: 5.0°C
Barcelona: 4.4°C
Ajaccio (insular): 3.9°C
Naples: 3.8°C
Cordoba: 3.7°C
Marseille: 2.9°C
Athens: 2.7°C
Thessaloniki: 1.3°C
Granada: 1.3°C

Can anyone find a milder place than Menton in mainland Europe?
Southern France, especially around Nice, has a very nice climate. Does the rain fall down as drizzle or normally? Too bad most of France is not Nice, whereas Spain has Nice's climate and warmer from Barcelona to the Portuguese border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather