Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yes so hes not really colder.
If he has an average max of 10 and an average min of -15 hell be colder. But that defeats the purpose because all the snow will melt.
So hes actually warmer. When I look at climates I look at the max temps not the mean.
I'm just comparing cold, the purpose is subjective, others may not care. Snow might not survive in that situation; but if the min has a big effect on snow melt, the mean is an important indicator. A series of days with a max of 3°C and a min of -8°C isn't going to melt much snow, the mean being above freezing makes a big difference. I look at mean, cold mornings and nights are still part of the day. And in the summer, lows make a difference. Looking at just maxes gives a bias towards drier days; drier weather bringing warmer maxes but colder mines but it's not necessarily hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
His mean temperature is lower than England's but his avg. max is a lot higher. But he also gets colder nights. In my opinion therefore his month probably doesn't "feel" as cold as ours on a day to day basis because the days are warmer.
I assume it does feel colder there. Less sun also makes a difference. Here's a warm February for us:

History | Weather Underground

a cold December for London:

History | Weather Underground

same mean temperature. The snow icons are often inaccurate, but it's obvious that February was much sunnier (61% high even for us) and felt nicer in the afternoon. From the times I've been in England in the winter, it feels milder, but on the below average days it felt cold. A bit worse than similar temps back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Here's something that is interesting so I thought I'd mention it.

Here in Buxton it's been a very cold winter (to me anyway) with ice days, screaming "beasterly" winds, lots of snow. But when I went down to London in February it was unusually cold there (2°C all day) but still not as bad as Buxton has been. However, I felt colder than I've felt at any other time at all up here. The same (winter) temperatures in London feel about twice as cold as they do here, even wearing the same clothes. I have no idea why. It was absolutely horrible. I think the same temp/wind/humidity combinations really do feel different in different locations but no idea why.Any explanations?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
I would not say that Miami is in a Transitional zone with an average high of 76f on its coldest month.
so then what would u call it?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Well, Glen Ogle which is at 564m has an average maximum of 0.7C this month.

In fact, here are all the mountain stations in the UK by average maximum this month, with altitude in brackets. Going from coldest to warmest, it almost follows elevation exactly but Bealach Na Ba is a bit colder than Great Dun Fell.

Cairn Gorm (1245m) -4.8
Aonach Mor (1120m) -2.8
Cairnwell (933m) -1.3
Bealach Na Ba (773m) -0.9C
Great Dun Fell (848m) -0.2
Glen Ogle (564m) 0.7

Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
so then what would u call it?
Tropical!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM

559 posts, read 748,398 times
I don't believe it! Forecast of 62 F on Monday!!! About time we get some warm temperatures! They are saying there will be some rain though, but hey, at least it's not 35 and snowing anymore.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Default My Long Range Thoughts

If you all are wondering why I havent said much about April compared to how I talked about March back in February, its because things have been looking to get back to normal for April. Nothing impressive or interesting as a whole.

I'm more interested in what happens after the moderation pattern. Ie: June/July. Do we get that trough back in the East or do we torch? Still too far, but Spring is here after one more cold shot next week.

Jet stream will be in Canada after next week. NAO goes neutral.

We had clear blue skies this morning...again... and then clouds developed....again. Soley because the surface is warming up and its still below freezing above 4000 feet.

Mid 50s for coastal and CT River Valley by Lunch time but notice what happened to Bridgeport, CT when the clouds came in... 54 to 49F within an hour. Gotta love those clouds in the Spring.

NW Winds

Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 PM

559 posts, read 748,398 times
Because of those clouds you mentioned, it was supposed to be 52 and sunny today, and it was already 50 at noontime so I thought maybe we'd even go ABOVE the prediction... Nope. I should've seen the clouds ushering in all of a sudden from a hundred miles away. Now it's only 48 and it's probably going to continue dropping from here on out. Even if the sun pops out at this moment and it stays sunny the rest of the day, it still wouldn't go above 50 since it's getting too late for much more daytime heating to occur. Well at least it reached 50 for the 3rd time in the past 4 days. Slowly but surely it's getting a little milder and milder!

Tomorrow is forecast to be completely sunny and 54. DOUBT IT! I'm gonna predict right now that instead it'll end up being 50 and cloudy after 12 PM. Watch it end up being sunny instead... lol

Oh yeah and right now in New Brunswick, NJ it's 55 degrees and sunny while like 50 miles west it's 48 and clouds. Ugh.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Tropical!
okay which kind of tropical? tropical savanna, tropical monsoon forest?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
17 days in a row Mt Washington has had snow. Only 3 days this month no snow was recorded. They have 66.5 inches of snow so far this month. Another couple to fall tonight.

Mount Washington Observatory (MWOBS) – F6 Monthly Data

As far as monthly snowfall for the season..

September: .6" (below normal of 2.2)
October: 11.2" (below normal of 17.6)
November: 23.4" (below normal of 37.8)
December: 69.8" (above normal of 45.5)
January: 36.1" (above normal of 44.0)
February: 76.2" (above normal of 40.1)
March: 66.5" (above normal of 45.1)
April: ? (normal = 35.6")

Total so far: 283.80"
Normal snowfall = 281"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather