Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times

Advertisements

Surely the Little Ice Age just refers to a period of cooler weather i.e colder summers and winters, such as the Maunder Minimum or Younger Dryas, as opposed to a glacial period.. I doubt we'll be seeing New York under an ice sheet any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 AM

236 posts, read 427,767 times
I'm no climatologist but where I live the winters have been very mild and the summers very hot,in fact we have been in a severe drought for several years,so bring your little ice age on it beats what I live thru now!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
What little ice age? We are still in one.
We're in a interglacial period

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
My first snow was late October and last was late March, which is a pretty long period for us, and October snow is fairly rare.
We had a few flakes of snow in the hail the other day I don't know if that would be classified as snow.

But the temp was around 4c with a dew point of -0.5c.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I suspect money is a big factor. Climate science wouldn't be half as big as it is now if there weren't a supposed climate crisis coming. Unfortunately, it's all about the almighty dollar in the world, and the field of science is no exception.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 AM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Default 2nd Largest Lake in Minnesota breaks record for longest streak of Ice.

How it starts?

An unusually cold spring has kept several Minnesota lakes blanketed with ice.

An image taken by NASA's Terra satellite on May 12 reveals the presence of ice on Mille Lacs, the state's second-largest lake. The lakes were still iced over on May 16, breaking 2012's record for the latest date ice was seen on the lakes — May 15, according to NASA's Earth Observatory. The median date for Mille Lacs to thaw is April 25.

Another nearby lake, Osakis Lake, came close to breaking records, which cover data going back 144 years. The lake shed its ice on May 13, just a day earlier than the record set in 1950, the Earth Observatory said.

http://www.livescience.com/34482-cold-spring-keeps-minnesota-lakes-frozen.html

Just in case you missed it.. It broke the longest streak which was set .....last year. Hmmmm, 2 yrs in a row.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Well I don't know about you but I would not walk on that Ice, I bet it would break even if you threw a stone on it.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
I think many of you are confused by the word warming.

An overall warming climate results in more chaotic weather patterns -- which could mean more unseasonable snow and cold in some areas, less in others.

Global weirding is a more accurate term.

Naturally, we should be a in a cooling cycle now. All the evidence - not weather in one city here or another region there - reveals an overall warming underway.

As I'm sure you saw on the news, we also have more average CO2 in the atmosphere than at any time in the past 3 million years.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I'd welcome some cooler temps here in TX for sure!

Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
As I'm sure you saw on the news, we also have more average CO2 in the atmosphere than at any time in the past 3 million years.
And at the same time scientists are saying that the sun's solar activity is decreasing so this could cancel out the increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Quote:
An overall warming climate results in more chaotic weather patterns -- which could mean more unseasonable snow and cold in some areas, less in others.
Bit funny that statement you're right in a way but an overall warming climate would ultimately mean a trend to a warmer climate than currently.

Quote:
I think many of you are confused by the word warming.
By your statement I think your a bit confused actually a cooling world would mean a trend to cooler temperatures but that doesn't mean some places won't see very high temperatures just that those high temperatures would become rarer and rarer same for global warming.

Only long term trends prove what type of climate where heading into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather