Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,603,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This doesn't belong in the weather forum. Put it over in the politics forum with the rest of the crap over there.
Precisely. What a load of drivel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Christian Broadcasting Network. Please. N
Lol!

Last edited by nei; 05-18-2013 at 07:27 PM..

Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
And at the same time scientists are saying that the sun's solar activity is decreasing so this could cancel out the increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.
You're talking about the sun decreasing over billions of years. It will have no impact on our lifetimes.

Quote:
Bit funny that statement you're right in a way but an overall warming climate would ultimately mean a trend to a warmer climate than currently.
I have no idea what you mean but, yes, our climate is warming. That's a fact that I made clear above. The result of that warming climate is weather patterns that are more chaotic, unseasonable, colder in some areas, warmer in others.

I think you're confusing weather and climate.

Quote:
By your statement I think your a bit confused actually a cooling world would mean a trend to cooler temperatures but that doesn't mean some places won't see very high temperatures just that those high temperatures would become rarer and rarer same for global warming.

Only long term trends prove what type of climate where heading into.
I don't know what your point is at all, but I do know you don't know how to spell "you're" so your credentials as a scientist or layperson with extensive knowledge of climate literature are immediately brought in question. Scientists have known for decades that more chaotic weather patterns result from warming temperatures.

I'm not confused. There were posters talking about how the weather in X city is mighty cold for this time of year, therefore the earth must not be warming unnaturally. They were simply wrong on that so I corrected that false assumption.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Great read for everyone. Shows we've been through this hype (on both sides) for a looong time. Lots of cool details with link.

Periodic claims of ''Global Cooling'' then ''Global Warming'' since 1800's

Following the ice age threats from the late 1800s, fears of an imminent and icy catastrophe were compounded in the 1920s by Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan and an obsession with the news of his polar expedition.

Once again the Times was out in front, cautioning “the earth is steadily growing warmer.”

That trend, too, cooled off and was replaced by the current era of reporting on the dangers of global warming. Just six years later, on Aug. 22, 1981, the Times quoted seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.”

Global Cooling: 1895-1932

Global Warming: 1929-1969

Global Cooling: 1954-1976

Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You're talking about the sun decreasing over billions of years. It will have no impact on our lifetimes.

I have no idea what you mean but, yes, our climate is warming. That's a fact that I made clear above. The result of that warming climate is weather patterns that are more chaotic, unseasonable, colder in some areas, warmer in others.

I think you're confusing weather and climate.

I don't know what your point is at all, but I do know you don't know how to spell "you're" so your credentials as a scientist or layperson with extensive knowledge of climate literature are immediately brought in question. Scientists have known for decades that more chaotic weather patterns result from warming temperatures.

I'm not confused. There were posters talking about how the weather in X city is mighty cold for this time of year, therefore the earth must not be warming unnaturally. They were simply wrong on that so I corrected that false assumption.
Do your research sun's solar activity decreases and increases it doesn't take billions of years more like a decade.

From Wikipedia: ''Solar cycles have an average duration of about 11 years.''

Solar cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These cycles can and does causes climate shifts on Earth...

''Solar variation causes changes in space weather, weather, and climate on Earth.''

If you see anymore errors please notify me.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Do your research sun's solar activity decreases and increases it doesn't take billions of years more like a decade.

''Solar variation causes changes in space weather, weather, and climate on Earth.''

I suggest you do some research yourself.

Solar activity & climate: is the sun causing global warming?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 AM

Volcanoes and the Sun's output changes temps and weather faster than some know. Do your research and you'll realize temps can drop or increase in a matter of months and years, even weather down to local areas can change drastically pretty quick...

It doesnt take decades or millions of years to see this. As far as continuing the climate in an extreme, it does take a long time. Do you realize how much energy it takes?

A NASA Link.

Both reduced solar output and numerous large volcanic eruptions could have contributed to the hemisphere-wide cooling.

In contrast, reduced solar output can last for decades and has similar impacts in all seasons. It leads to reduced wintertime westerly flow, resulting in colder continental temperatures. These are reinforced by cooler temperatures everywhere in the summer due to the reduced solar energy, but again the land responds more than the oceans. So during both seasons the land cools in response to solar forcing, leading to a large regional annual average response

Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Great read for everyone. Shows we've been through this hype (on both sides) for a looong time. Lots of cool details with link.

Periodic claims of ''Global Cooling'' then ''Global Warming'' since 1800's

Following the ice age threats from the late 1800s, fears of an imminent and icy catastrophe were compounded in the 1920s by Arctic explorer Donald MacMillan and an obsession with the news of his polar expedition.

Once again the Times was out in front, cautioning “the earth is steadily growing warmer.”

That trend, too, cooled off and was replaced by the current era of reporting on the dangers of global warming. Just six years later, on Aug. 22, 1981, the Times quoted seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.”

Global Cooling: 1895-1932

Global Warming: 1929-1969

Global Cooling: 1954-1976
On the anthropomorphic front in the second half of the 20th century, scientists were not sure whether the massive increase in particulate matter in the air from our industrial pollution would prevent the sun from reaching the earth and thus causing a cooling of our planet or whether the greenhouse gases would trap the heat once it got through and cause a warming of our planet.

With regulations and technological innovations, much of the particulate matter issue was resolved, so the circumstance that won out was, obviously, that the greenhouse gases (and issue we have yet to resolve) trapped heat within our atmosphere.

You seem eager to dismiss global warming simply because of vigorous debate going back to eras when science was primitive at best.

We know a lot more today with modern technology and the ability to extract ice samples from way back. The earth is warming, as evidence has shown across many disciplines beyond climate science.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 AM

How it all starts?

Snowfall data from NOAA Rutger’s Snow Lab for April is in. November 2012 to April 2013 ranked the HIGHEST on record

Whats funny is that this happens in an era where the majority of the hype is "we're warming"

Old 05-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Per your request, here are the errors I noted:

1. You cited Wikipedia.

2. Of course solar activity affects the earth's climate. That is well known and accounted. By natural cycles, including the sun's solar activity, we should be in a cooling phase that began in the early 20th century (perhaps that's where you got that idea). We are not. Largely because of human-generated pollution, we are in a warming phase instead.

3. There are too many grammatical errors in your last post to correct. I don't mean to sound like a grammar jerk but if you're discussing complex science it requires someone who has read enough of the literature to innately know basic grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather