Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM

115 posts, read 158,327 times

Advertisements

I live in my preferred climate

Win!

It took me years of extremely hard work and suffering to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,691,691 times
Munie.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,565,391 times
There are very few cities that meet all the following criteria:

*Tropical or borderline tropical climates

*Developed country/good quality of life (that alone removes the majority from the list - northern South America, Africa, southeast Asia - plus Hong Kong which, despite being developed, is way too dense/noisy/polluted)

*Not in the middle of nowhere (bye Honolulu)

*Large, global with an extremely developed financial industry (career requirement - bye Brisbane and northern Australia, LA, Miami). This criterion alone leaves me with probably less than a dozen of cities to pick from.

Therefore, combining all these criteria leaves me with Singapore only,

though I might consider moving to NYC as well. It is far from my climatic dream, but is acceptable nevertheless (hot summers, sunny throughout the year) and offers huge career opportunities for me. Plus it's a fascinating city and I know people there.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 AM

504 posts, read 779,181 times
First of all: A place with my dream climate unfortunately doesn't exist on earth. Besides that, I'd have to move to another country (preferably Sweden or Norway, because Canada/Alaska is too far away from Germany and Russia isn't a country I'd want to live in) and I don't think there are many jobs in northern Sweden... Nevertheless, it's definetely a dream of mine to live in northern Scandinavia and maybe it will come true one day... who knows..

Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,032,668 times
My dream climates are places like Honolulu, Los Angeles, Sydney, Brisbane...

The reason why I can't move to any of those locations is that I don't meet the criteria to emigrate there (I don't have a job/trade that is needed & I'm not loaded!)

I do however have the opportunity to move to Malta. My other half has been offered a job there (& has family over there too) We are currently weighing up the pros & cons as it will take a lot of sorting & life changing decisions if we do decide to go...

Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,806,017 times
i dont think climate alone is worth moving for. well, the exception might be if i lived in a tropical hellhole or on the frigid tundra.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post

What do you study and where would you ideally like to move?
I am working on a degree in Civil (transportation) Engineering, then once I graduate need 4 years of work experience. After that I can move anywhere I want.

Ideal locations for me would be English speaking with a Mediterranean or Subtropical climate with lots of sun and water nice enough to swim in. SoCal is really dry and that is what I dislike about it and the water is also cold, especially when I was there August 2010.

Brisbane and Perth are two locations which would be ideal, especially since there is a bilateral agreement between national engineering associations.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,890,125 times
I'm also a college student, working part-time, and living at home with my parents. When I finish my degree and get a year or two of full-time experience, I intend to move to a moderate four seasons climate in a highly cultured big city; NYC or Boston are both high on my list. I am also willing to consider Seattle or Chicago (I know their climates are very different from each other but city life and culture is as important to me as climate).

Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not really that interested in moving to Rostov-on-Don...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Nor do I want to move to Davenport, IA.

For you two, how about somewhere in Southern Ontario around Toronto? Or if you are able to get a green card, like Chicago ? Climate is not that different from your ideals...

Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,269,473 times
i hope i will fit some criteria to emigrate once i finish university
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather