Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm lucky that my dream climates coincide with sizable cities such as Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn. Helsinki and Tallinn would be the most reliable snow-wise, but Stockholm appears to be the most bustling and is the largest of the three, and has excellent public transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For you two, how about somewhere in Southern Ontario around Toronto? Or if you are able to get a green card, like Chicago ? Climate is not that different from your ideals...
Moving across the Atlantic would be a huge step to me, but I'd certainly consider Southern Ontario. To obtain a green card would be very difficult. I'd had to be a qualified academic and be endorsed by Harvard or something.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:23 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Surely there are places within the EU with similar climates to your ideal? How about somewhere in Austria?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:24 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,210 times
I would love to move to Banff, Alberta one day. I have dual citizenship with Canada so I could do that. But I really like Seattle too, even though the weather is quite unappealing. And I have family and friends here.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian High View Post
I would love to move to Banff, Alberta one day. I have dual citizenship with Canada so I could do that. But I really like Seattle too, even though the weather is quite unappealing. And I have family and friends here.
I bet you'd LOVE to get a job working on Amundson-Scott base at the South Pole for a few years too.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
I bet you'd LOVE to get a job working on Amundson-Scott base at the South Pole for a few years too.
Well it would certainly be an interesting experience, though being trapped inside a research base for 6 months because it is dark and -90 outside is not my thing.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:02 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Surely there are places within the EU with similar climates to your ideal? How about somewhere in Austria?
Sure, at least B-climates. I'm quite open to any country in Western Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
If I was offered a job for a year on Base Esperanza, I'd go in a heartbeat. The climate is terrible, but the experience would be so great. And who can say that they've lived on Antarctica?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:59 PM

735 posts, read 654,385 times
I can't move because I'm not an adult, but I don't really know what my exact dream climate is anyway. I guess I would prefer somewhere with slightly cooler summers than where I live OR cool enough winters for snow. Nearby skiing is a must and good beaches are a bonus. I wouldn't mind 1-2 inches of rain in the summers and some thunderstorms, too.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
Not sure what the job market is like in the Canadian cities I'm interested in, and I'm not sure whether Canadians in my industry are looking for immigrant workers. But if I do manage to find a job there, I'll be good to go.
Which Canadian cities?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
My preferred climate is tropical vegetation but cool. I imagine there are several places on earth with this climate. The one I am most familiar with and would like to live is Escazu/Santa Ana Costa Rica. The climate temperature varies by elevation but is fairly constant in temperature range for the year. Amount of rainfall varies by which side of a mountain area you live upon. The winds blow east to west and rainfall increases on the eastern mountain side.

In Escazu, you can live at 5000 feet above sea level. The temperature range year around is a high of around 70-80 degrees F during the day to a low of around 50 to 60 at night time. Rainfall in this area will run around 120 inches a year and with the volcanic soil and significant sun shine despite the high rainfall amounts as well as the 12 hour day light year around, the tropical vegetation thrives in the mountains. This temperature range year round with a mountain view full of tropical vegetation is my definition of ideal climate.

The life expectancy is in line with the US and literacy rates exceed the US with two languages (spanish and english) common in this area. The downside is meds my wife needs for two serious chronic auto immune diseases are not available without carrying them in myself. Non stop flights are available to Houston 4 times a day, its a 3.5 hr flight.

The cost of living is low compared to California in prime climates like SD etc but not the bargain compared to other US areas it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather