Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Where would you have gone? NZ? What about Tassy in your own country?
In the SH, easily NZ's South Island West Coast.
If I moved to the NH, easily the UK. My best mate is now in Edinburgh, posted some pictures on FB, cloudy, grey and showery with the temperature at 16C (mid summer), wearing winter woolies and he loves it
Tassie, especially the eastern part, doesn't get as much rain like Sydney does and is too sunny for its latitude with Hobart recording around 650mm per annum and over 2300 hours of sun - not my cup of tea. The western part is easily wet and cloudy but I prefer to live in megacities - small town living doesn't do it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOutsideAndPlay View Post
Interesting post! Up until last year, I lived all my life in Illinois - hot and humid summers and cloudy, cold and damp winters with snow. The older I got, the more I wanted a sunny, dry, warm climate - especially after visiting many places over the years. The two things that kept us from moving were family and work.

As technology advanced, my employer became open to teleworking arrangements (one roadblock solved). I also convinced family to move with us (wasn't hard after they visited). So, last fall we all moved to southwest Utah, which is my ideal climate: 320+ days of sun, dry, mild winters with no snow, and plenty of outdoor activies year-round. Great for boating, hiking, skiing, mountain biking. In the spring, you can actually snow skin in the morning and water ski in the afternoon with very little drive time. During the hot summers, it's just a quick 30 minute drive to higher elevations where it's 20+ degrees cooler. Just interesting to consider - there are places where you can experience all 4 seasons within an hours drive, without having to live in all 4 seasons. We took a risk and it paid off. Where there's a will, there's often a way. My advice - find a way.
This is great advice. I take it you aren't far from Vegas either which is an added bonus. Amazing how many move to Florida thinking it is paradise full of so many outdoor activities but yet end up prisoners to the AC.

Climate wise I would find being stuck in St George at lower elevations in mid summer to be brutal. We all need an escape like you say whether higher elevation or large bodies of water nearby or you end up stuck inside like folks in northern climates are in winter Average Weather for Saint George, UT - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
In the SH, easily NZ's South Island West Coast.
If I moved to the NH, easily the UK. My best mate is now in Edinburgh, posted some pictures on FB, cloudy, grey and showery with the temperature at 16C (mid summer), wearing winter woolies and he loves it
Tassie, especially the eastern part, doesn't get as much rain like Sydney does and is too sunny for its latitude with Hobart recording around 650mm per annum and over 2300 hours of sun - not my cup of tea. The western part is easily wet and cloudy but I prefer to live in megacities - small town living doesn't do it for me.
I'm glad someone wants to live on the West Coast. I worked there last spring and the weather was diabolical. Hail on about half the days, lightning strikes on the road in front of us, almost constant squalls and a damaging tornado on the last day. On the other hand, the last frost where I stayed, was about 3 years earlier.

A great place to visit, but I wouldn't live there.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
"You can't make money in Paradise", wise words from a bankrupt, former restaurant owner in Sand Point, ID

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
"You can't make money in Paradise", wise words from a bankrupt, former restaurant owner in Sand Point, ID
Although I was fortunate enough to live in Boulder, CO for a number of years.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Although I was fortunate enough to live in Boulder, CO for a number of years.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm glad someone wants to live on the West Coast. I worked there last spring and the weather was diabolical. Hail on about half the days, lightning strikes on the road in front of us, almost constant squalls and a damaging tornado on the last day. On the other hand, the last frost where I stayed, was about 3 years earlier.

A great place to visit, but I wouldn't live there.
You copped a worse than average season though - and it's normally the worst season there anyway, but your point is taken. Hokitika has several times topped the national sun stakes in a month of unusual conditions however ... I'd still take it over Dunedin or Invercargill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather