Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country has a larger subtropical zone?
United States 19 26.76%
China 52 73.24%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 12:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,740,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
The mid Atlantic and upper south(like Kentucky) seem like a distinct climate zone on to themselves, Trewartha names it oceanic but that term doesn't capture the area's climate, as oceanic describes the climate of the pacific northwest.

Wikipedia's US climate map is using -3c as the subtropical threshold while internationally 0c is used.
The name "sub-tropical" triggers many people on this weather forum because they think it is basically tropical and think it should be snow free and even frost free.
Ah that makes sense but looking at the Trewartha climate map is just odd. Particularly the oceanic bits. I mean on the west coast it makes sense but huge section that extends into the middle of the country from the east coast is just weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 02:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
The mid Atlantic and upper south(like Kentucky) seem like a distinct climate zone on to themselves, Trewartha names it oceanic but that term doesn't capture the area's climate, as oceanic describes the climate of the pacific northwest.

Wikipedia's US climate map is using -3c as the subtropical threshold while internationally 0c is used.
The name "sub-tropical" triggers many people on this weather forum because they think it is basically tropical and think it should be snow free and even frost free.
I don't go that far, but I think that places with a coldest month between 0°C and 5.9°C have their own climate, which I dub temperate transitional

Old 07-01-2021, 09:06 AM

404 posts, read 256,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't go that far, but I think that places with a coldest month between 0°C and 5.9°C have their own climate, which I dub temperate transitional
Your criteria isn't bad as you give a good reason(vegetation) for picking 6c but some posters on this forum don't even consider Charleston, SC as subtropical when it is (reasonably)quintessentially humid subtropical.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:49 PM

207 posts, read 156,954 times
Quote:
Your criteria isn't bad as you give a good reason(vegetation) for picking 6c but some posters on this forum don't even consider Charleston, SC as subtropical when it is (reasonably)quintessentially humid subtropical.
Idc if it gets frost anyways, since some types of palms survive through it and they don't whine like little children who always want their way? SC is a very unique state and I've been doing extensive exploring in the backyard and SC isn't like VA. For starters, some species of oaks look completely different like the willow oak. Pines in SC don't look like pines in Aquitaine. I know this for a fact, since I've been living here for a year, but I do not think I will stay down here.

Many things are noticeable, especially if you look at Charleston, SC climate data for 1991-2020, which definitely shows another subtropical feature: salad gardens in the 'dead of winter'. Lettuce can be sown and harvested within an average winter, but potatoes do not do well with frost. I've noticed that peas and lettuce did very well with the local winter weather, but potato LEAVES die off once frost hits, but it's not completely dead. It takes a week or two to get back to where it was, but it's ok tbh

Honestly, people got to be grateful that SC's winters are atleast in the 50's, sometimes 60's highs; even the Piedmont areas can get 60's and 70's in the middle of winter. I've done quite a bit of vegetable gardening in the middle of winter and even if some things fail, try again. Don't let some weird weather bog you down from trying the thing again, but I can see some of those concerns. I also find it that people don't like that SC is a very unique place; It's not Barcelona or Miami, it's SC! Oak understory of pine forests, as well as warm enough winters for salads, and a long growing season for figs, palms, and sugarcane!

Old 09-09-2021, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 2,979 times
Quote:

-3c is used all over the world. That was the original demarcation zone. And no, it’s subtropical.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:49 PM

404 posts, read 256,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ninety2 View Post
What?! Oh my god. You’re arbitrarily excluding American subtropical locations now to give the advantage to China? You have got to be ****ing kidding me.
This same person said palms can't grow in places averaging below 10 C in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather