Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM

865 posts, read 1,078,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Generally I'm not jealous of faraway places. Amazing supercell or blizzard in Sioux City? Fine, that's what makes that climate great.

Now, when places like Orleans or Amiens get nice snowfalls and we get close to nothing, I'm jelly as hell, especially if that snow was earlier forecasted to fall here. Stupid situations like this (stayed that way for hours):

Also, not getting snow is a double whammy, as it won't get properly cold without some of the white stuff on the ground. Here are the lows for the night after. Not difficult to guess where clear skies and snow covered ground are:
That happens a number of times every winter here. It used to be worse, because the long range weather forecast would get our hopes up, showing a black cloud with two snowflakes (to denote heavy snow) over the west-central part of Scotland. But by the time that it got to a day or two before the event, they'd only be predicting light snow showers for my area. At least these days, the forecast shows on a map exactly what they expect the extent of the snow band to be, meaning that we're prepared for the fact that we're going to miss out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM

99,660 posts, read 4,497,498 times
Yes, I get jealous for instance when I hear of Denver getting a snowstorm in October or May. Such exciting changeable weather.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,632,242 times
Weather is something we can not control so I really am not concerned what weather other's are experiencing. However, I do feel sorry when devastating weather strikes folks.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM

768 posts, read 654,925 times
I'm jealous when 80 % of Poland is covered in snow and only NW of the country is snow free. It happens every year, many times.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 AM

219 posts, read 484,150 times
You have "weather envy!" I have to say this is the first I've ever heard of anyone feeling this way. How very interesting.

No, I definitely don't feel this way at all. I prefer the safety and predicatability of a relatively stable inland climate to experiencing weather-related disasters.

Not for nothing, but why don't you move? This is a serious question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
such as that of the UK.

As a weather enthusiast, is it possible for you to be truly happy for someone else when they receive interesting (and desirable) weather that is extremely uncommon or unheard of in your locale (eg major accumulations of snow, violent thunderstorms, high temperatures). Or do you seethe with envy every time you learn about these events in the news?

I tend to be in the latter camp, especially if the extreme weather is occurring in other parts of the UK and especially if it concerns snowfall. There's nothing that bothers me more than to watch a weather forecast and to see a band of snow coming in off the North Sea, seemingly dumping a foot and a half of snow everywhere in the UK except for anywhere within a 50-70 mile radius of Glasgow, where we might get a light dusting at best. It doesn't bother me as much if the 'exciting' weather is limited to far flung locations abroad. The worst feeling is to be 'so close and yet so far' from a break in the monotony of life in a maritime climate.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,393,502 times
I get jealous when other parts of the Country get snow mainly, we in Southeast England get everything so I hardly get jealous about other parts of the Country.

If Toronto is experiencing a massive bliazzard I wouldn't care but if it were to be Leeds or Buxton then I'll be angry...very very angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I get annoyed sometimes when it's 35C in Paris and only 27C in London. But then in winter I am laughing when it's 0C in Paris and 10C in London.
If its 0c in Paris there's no way it'll be 10c in London...

Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 AM

865 posts, read 1,078,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
You have "weather envy!" I have to say this is the first I've ever heard of anyone feeling this way. How very interesting.

No, I definitely don't feel this way at all. I prefer the safety and predicatability of a relatively stable inland climate to experiencing weather-related disasters.

Not for nothing, but why don't you move? This is a serious question.
I would move, if jobs were abundant elsewhere. I can't afford to take a chance on moving, especially just for the want of a bit more snow and a few thunderstorms. Although I'd have to move abroad in order to live in a climate which is truly to my liking, which isn't feasible.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM

219 posts, read 484,150 times
Then you should travel a bit, locally at least if you can't go farther out or abroad to experience different weather events.

Then you get a double benefit -- you get the weather experiences you're craving and you will have something to look forward to periodically. Having a trip to save for and plan, however small, can be a lovely distraction from the monotony of everyday life.

I'd wish you fair winds for future travels, but I can tell you wouldn't want them. So instead I will wish you rumbling clouds, torrential downpours and huge piles of snow instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
I would move, if jobs were abundant elsewhere. I can't afford to take a chance on moving, especially just for the want of a bit more snow and a few thunderstorms. Although I'd have to move abroad in order to live in a climate which is truly to my liking, which isn't feasible.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

It's possible. Here are the temperatures on 21 Feb 2010, when the north of England got snow but it was mild and balmy in the south:

Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,611,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

It happened last winter or the winter before.

August 2006 was warmer in London than it was in Paris, though it was rubbish in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather