Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM

865 posts, read 1,077,103 times

Advertisements

such as that of the UK.

As a weather enthusiast, is it possible for you to be truly happy for someone else when they receive interesting (and desirable) weather that is extremely uncommon or unheard of in your locale (eg major accumulations of snow, violent thunderstorms, high temperatures). Or do you seethe with envy every time you learn about these events in the news?

I tend to be in the latter camp, especially if the extreme weather is occurring in other parts of the UK and especially if it concerns snowfall. There's nothing that bothers me more than to watch a weather forecast and to see a band of snow coming in off the North Sea, seemingly dumping a foot and a half of snow everywhere in the UK except for anywhere within a 50-70 mile radius of Glasgow, where we might get a light dusting at best. It doesn't bother me as much if the 'exciting' weather is limited to far flung locations abroad. The worst feeling is to be 'so close and yet so far' from a break in the monotony of life in a maritime climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
No. Not at all. If there is a major snowstorm in southern England, then I won't be happy for them - I will be extremely jealous and annoyed. I will actively hope that any snow they get is toned down or never happens and that they get lots of rain instead. Such a scenario is made worse because it's southern England - the least snowy part of the UK, usually. I can live with Scotland getting more snow than we do because that's usually the way it is (usually).

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 10-27-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
As a weather enthusiast, is it possible for you to be truly happy for someone else when they receive interesting (and desirable) weather that is extremely uncommon or unheard of in your locale (eg major accumulations of snow, violent thunderstorms, high temperatures).
Upstate new yorkers are extremely fortunate to get below zero Fahrenheit temps in winters and equally hot and humid summers. Below zero Fahrenheit temps have not occurred here in the last 10 years. Hope it happens this time.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
I'm extremely jealous of tropical locations especially in the winter. I wish I could be there when I hear about Honolulu or Miami getting 25-30C temps in January It's just not fair that I am at such a high latitude

Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 PM

865 posts, read 1,077,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No. Not at all. If there is a major snowstorm in southern England, then I won't be happy for them - I will be extremely jealous and annoyed. I will actively hope that any snow they get is toned down or never happens and that they get lots of rain instead. Such a scenario is made worse because it's southern England - the least snowy part of the UK, usually. I can live with Scotland getting more snow than we do because that's usually the way it is (usually).

That's exactly how I feel. Most winters, I'm just resigned to hoping that England doesn't get much snow. LOL. I suppose I feel that, as a northerner, I feel that it's only 'fair' that I should receive commensurate compensation for the disparity in the summer temperatures and that this should come in the form of winter snowfalls (if they get the hottest summer weather, we should get the snowiest winter weather). Sadly, the world's meteorological systems don't operate on a system of fairness and instead, it just seems as though we get the worst of all worlds. Although people residing in the Outer Hebrides are truly the most cursed of all.

That describes how I was feeling about the stormy weather set to track eastwards through England and Wales in the early hours of this morning. I was hoping that the rain wouldn't be as torrential as it looked that it was going to be from the earlier forecasts that I watched (ie, even when 'heavy' rain is forecast for central Scotland, it is seldom indeed that there will be a sizeable swathe of yellow such as was predicted to cover a large part of England and Wales).

Last edited by micC; 10-27-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM

688 posts, read 841,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
such as that of the UK.

As a weather enthusiast, is it possible for you to be truly happy for someone else when they receive interesting (and desirable) weather that is extremely uncommon or unheard of in your locale (eg major accumulations of snow, violent thunderstorms, high temperatures).

Absolutely not.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Yes, I can, but I'm also annoyed that everything here follows a certain pattern. The windstorms almost always stays in Sweden, the 36C temps in Poland, surprisingly warm spring days in Oslo, thunderstorms always miss us and are diverted east or north, and are mostly restricted to May-August. I would like autumn days like Zagreb, fall foliage like Massachusetts, 25C nights like Paris, but I can feel truly happy for them, as that weather doesn't reach us anyway.

But on the other hand I felt bad for English posters this May and June when England was pounded by low pressure after low pressure, with us having a constant high upon us and full sunshine all the time. I don't feel a sense to revenge something, the weather doesn't just work that way.

Still, I'm sometimes jealous, especially in October, November and March to people living in Central and Southern Europe, as they get far superior weather.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Generally I'm not jealous of faraway places. Amazing supercell or blizzard in Sioux City? Fine, that's what makes that climate great.

Now, when places like Orleans or Amiens get nice snowfalls and we get close to nothing, I'm jelly as hell, especially if that snow was earlier forecasted to fall here. Stupid situations like this (stayed that way for hours):

Also, not getting snow is a double whammy, as it won't get properly cold without some of the white stuff on the ground. Here are the lows for the night after. Not difficult to guess where clear skies and snow covered ground are:

Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
I get annoyed sometimes when it's 35C in Paris and only 27C in London. But then in winter I am laughing when it's 0C in Paris and 10C in London.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 AM

735 posts, read 654,853 times
Sure, I get jealous just knowing the East coast get some snow or thunderstorms and the only "extreme" weather we get is heat, but then I remember how superior our mountains are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather