Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington D.C. climate vs London climate.
Washington D.C. 43 63.24%
London 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times

Advertisements

Washington DC hot and humid?.......

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!

OK, seriously, it depends on where you're from. If you're from Europe, Canada, or the northern US, I can see how it can be uncomfortable. But in Dallas (38C just another sort-of-warm July-August day) and Louisiana, where I grew up - about 3 to 5 C cooler in those months but with steaming-bowl-of-soup humidity --- I found Washington summers rather pleasant.

I like distinct but moderate differences in seasons with a fair bit of sun, on the other hand, I hate frequent snow. So I call it a draw between these two cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
That's your opinion.
Isn't that kinda the point of a forum?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM

284 posts, read 340,881 times
Quote:
Washington, DC averages around 1,000mm of rain annually with 114 precipitation days while London averages around 600mm of rain with 109 precipitation days. So D.C isn't just wetter but receives more precipitation days than London.
Weather and climate change - Met Office

I'm aware DC is snowier than London.
I can't argue with those pretty obvious stats now, can I? It's quite odd actually because it seems to rain a lot more in London. It is possible that we get more rain over a shorter period (likely due to the thunderstorms) but when it doesn't rain, we have clear skies. In London, there is often a gloominess that seems to herald rain even when it doesn't necessarily rain. Therefore, it "feels" like a rainy day...and people inevitably respond to it as such.

Ironically, I quite like the rain. I just don't like when it rains in London as it is already a pretty dirty city. That said, there is still no place like home.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Is the difference in heat and humidity noticeable between NYC and DC during peak summer?

I've experienced NYC, which was nice but certainly not oppressively hot. Norfolk VA was much more humid though, certainly uncomfortable working outside.
I would say so.

I was fortunate enough to visit DC this past August after an unusually strong 'cold' front passed through. Humidity was low and temperatures were comfortable.

Overall I prefer London though. Far more comfortable summers and less sunshine. Boring, but comfortable.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:53 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
A tricky one, but I would choose DC (I think). The extra sun would be the difference. I would probably prefer London's summer.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Isn't that kinda the point of a forum?
Yes, but Hartfordd keeps trying to force her/his opinions onto others and not just in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
I can't argue with those pretty obvious stats now, can I? It's quite odd actually because it seems to rain a lot more in London. It is possible that we get more rain over a shorter period (likely due to the thunderstorms) but when it doesn't rain, we have clear skies. In London, there is often a gloominess that seems to herald rain even when it doesn't necessarily rain. Therefore, it "feels" like a rainy day...and people inevitably respond to it as such.

Ironically, I quite like the rain. I just don't like when it rains in London as it is already a pretty dirty city. That said, there is still no place like home.
In bold is 100% true! Washington, DC is rainier but as you said the place receives more thunderstorms or rain in short burst compared to London.

Also the fact London receives less sun and less evaporation than DC it can feel damper and wetter due to puddles staying on the great longer.

I prefer torrential downpours myself.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Is the difference in heat and humidity noticeable between NYC and DC during peak summer?

I've experienced NYC, which was nice but certainly not oppressively hot. Norfolk VA was much more humid though, certainly uncomfortable working outside.
Hello dean york, you never lived a humid heat wave in NYC and you never lived a lot of entire summer in NYC, because NYC humid heat wave are oppressively hot.

Last edited by Hartfordd; 11-25-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,912 times
Quote:
Yes, but Hartfordd keeps trying to force her/his opinions onto others and not just in this thread...

In bold is 100% true! Washington, DC is rainier but as you said the place receives more thunderstorms or rain in short burst compared to London.

Also the fact London receives less sun and less evaporation than DC it can feel damper and wetter due to puddles staying on the great longer.

I prefer torrential downpours myself.
I prefer torrential downpours too, especially when the rain is warm or hot.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:52 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Hello dean york, you never lived a humid heat wave in NYC and you never lived a lot of entire summer in NYC, because NYC humid heat wave are oppressively hot.
I appreciate that, but heatwaves can happen anywhere. I was talking about an average day in both cities.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM

529 posts, read 556,530 times
There are a lot of bizarre people in this forum. Some are obsessed with a thing called "snowpack", some adore run-of-the-mill weather events such as thunderstorms, some make fool of themselves wearing t-shirts in sub-freezing weather, some think that comfortable weather is boring, some mindlessly worship "sunshine hours"...

...London is comfortable year round and its alleged "gloominess" is nowhere near as annoying as summers in DC, which seem hot and muggy.

My vote goes to the UK capital, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather