Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington D.C. climate vs London climate.
Washington D.C. 43 63.24%
London 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
Sweetheart, you have no leg to stand on....you live in Tallahassee!
Kidding. I can now see why neither option is particularly appealing to you.
Lol if only you knew what my "ideal climate" is.......you'd probably crap your pants lol. Tallahassee sucks climate-wise too in my opinion, far worse than London and DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
What was is was the biggest heat wave in London massive thunderstorm not very good, no?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Washington by miles... Proper summers (no not too hot by any means, especially compared with other parts of the US), more sunshine, more thunderstorms, even if their winters are tame compared with Midwest standards, they can get the occasional Nor'easter. London can't hold a candle to DC imho...

People that tend to favor extreme temp swings from summer to winter would def prefer DC. London doesn't do the extremes like that.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM

I spent a winter living in DC, and though one year doesn't really prove much, it gave me a good idea of the winter weather. I was involved in vertical construction there, so was outside much of the winter. It is cold, no other way to describe it. The averages look decent in winter, but as usual you can always count on arctic fronts coming thru during winter and quickly dropping temps way down. The summer I spent there was to me warmer and more humid than Philly.

I like the mild winter climate of London, but I would miss warm to hot summers and the more hours of sunshine. I give the slight edge to DC.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
As a Brit currently living in the Washington, DC area, I will say that I prefer London's mild summers but like the spring/fall/winter in DC. There is more weather variation in DC and the spring blooms are definitely prettier than in London proper. Also, it does not rain as much here.

Call me unpatriotic but I'm simply calling it as I see it

I think DC gets more rain, though it falls over less amount of time than London.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Is the difference in heat and humidity noticeable between NYC and DC during peak summer?

I've experienced NYC, which was nice but certainly not oppressively hot. Norfolk VA was much more humid though, certainly uncomfortable working outside.
As someone who has lived in both cities, I don't have an answer because it really depends, some summers you can feel a very slight difference while other summers they feel the same.

Last edited by Infamous92; 11-25-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM

284 posts, read 341,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Also the fact London receives less sun and less evaporation than DC it can feel damper and wetter due to puddles staying on the great longer.

I prefer torrential downpours myself.
All this talk of England has me longing to go back home. How is the weather these days anyway?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM

284 posts, read 341,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Lol if only you knew what my "ideal climate" is.......you'd probably crap your pants lol. Tallahassee sucks climate-wise too in my opinion, far worse than London and DC
Haha...is this somewhere in the Middle East? Or the other end of the spectrum such as Alaska or Antartica?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Is the difference in heat and humidity noticeable between NYC and DC during peak summer?

I've experienced NYC, which was nice but certainly not oppressively hot. Norfolk VA was much more humid though, certainly uncomfortable working outside.

I spent a summer working outside at a DC construction site. It was noticeably more humid and hotter than Philadelphia, imo.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Washington, DC averages around 1,000mm of rain annually with 114 precipitation days while London averages around 600mm of rain with 109 precipitation days. So D.C isn't just wetter but receives more precipitation days than London.
Weather and climate change - Met Office

I'm aware DC is snowier than London.

A typical summer precip day in DC is a hot, sunny day followed up around 6-7pm with a thunderstorm. Next morning dawns clear and warm. Maryland receives half of the summer precip via thunderstorms, so I'm sure DC is around the same.

DC having more days with precip than London may be true, but the perception is probably that London has more rainy days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather