Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 05:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
This is why I'm against immigration - not because I don't believe in diversity, etc. If people want to come here and start businesses, employ others, etc, or if they just want to come here and have a great time - that's great, let 'em in.

But the idea of bringing in people who will work 2x as hard as the natives, for less pay, that makes my skin crawl. In this country, and in many others as well, we've worked for generations to create our high standard of living, and being able to work "easy" jobs for high pay. Why in god's name would we want to give that up to people who'll work the "natives" under the table and then some?

Oh yeah, it's all about "economics." (I'd abolish that word, if I had the power to do so.)
Though where I worked most of the precarious workers weren't immigrants. One was from Tahiti but that's France, the others were from Paris region. Here it's mostly the construction sector that employs illegals under the table for a few bucks. To be honest it felt like being on holidays when I worked with some of the other employees. Couple of them were doing very little.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Poor immigrants think they can come and get wealthy instantly but all they end up doing is living in tents. They should just not come..

Old 09-16-2014, 05:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Only illegal immigrants in Calais are living in tents. Legal immigrants from Eastern Europe live in houses and flats like everyone else. They don't come to get wealthy - they come to earn more money than they would do at home, and not all of them intend on staying.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,573 times
Well they don't get anywhere near the normal lifestyle

Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Oh, the part about "economics" - I'm a total atheist when it comes that "field" of pseudoscience. It's just a way for the rich to extract even more wealth from the underclass, as they have done for centuries.
Laws/trends/inevitabilities or want ever you want to call it, become very self evident when in you're business. Making a profit comes first. Everything else is secondary.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well they don't get anywhere near the normal lifestyle
A lot do. Indian immigrants are largely middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Laws/trends/inevitabilities or want ever you want to call it, become very self evident when in you're business. Making a profit comes first. Everything else is secondary.
Indeed - which is part of the problem. People are out to make money at the expense of everything else. Pay workers peanuts and they'll work for peanuts - i.e not very much.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
And the same is true for anybody that works - doing as little as possible for the most amount of money. That's just business, right?

(But no, that's not fair to the "employer" is what I hear all the time, which I find puzzling.)

Fair is fair - everyone gets to look out for their own interests, on both sides of the coin.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
A lot do. Indian immigrants are largely middle class.

Indeed - which is part of the problem. People are out to make money at the expense of everything else. Pay workers peanuts and they'll work for peanuts - i.e not very much.
Yes, this is absolutely correct. And yet bosses will complain seven ways to Sunday that their workers aren't performing up to snuff. And yet they have the gall to complain about under-paid workers complaining.

Some of these folk just need to grow a brain and use a bit of logic for once...lol.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Don't know about uni now. I'm a quiet person and hate partying... Think i'd die if I was in a loud dorm with people taking drugs etc..
Ah c'mon man. You will be really missing out if you don't go.

You don't have to be in a loud dorm with a bunch of people partying every night. If you find the right people who actually care about getting good grades, then there wouldn't be a problem. Even after the first year, then the next few years you can try to get a dorm with people doing the same degree as you and people you know from first year.

Personally, I have a great group of friends who make coursework a top priority. You won't find these people partying every day, maybe the odd drink every second weekend but that's it. It all depends on who you hang around with, go to the library at 8PM on a Friday night and you will find the people who really care about grades and doing well.

Join some recreation groups and student groups, you'll meet interesting people. Being in student groups also helps distinguish on the resume from other people not as involved.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
You can't pick who you're with at uni halls in fast year, but honestly you will be missing out if you don't go.. people will party and do stuff, but they will also respect you if that's not what you want to do..

In all honesty you should try it though.. at least try once before you knock it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather