Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 PM

269 posts, read 237,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check this out...

Latest GFS.Tuesday.4pmEST. Thin blue Line is the surface freezing line. Thick blue is freezing line for 850mb level. So its below freezing at all levels in northern MS and AL. Definitely wintry weather around!

Then......

Thursday 4pm. Another low, colder temps. Wow to see this that far south. Looks to be mostly for northern gulf states. We'll see...
Does it show any moisture left in southeast Alabama when the temperature drops to/near freezing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
How do you have so much warmth dude? I wear a sweatshirt if it's under 60F.
Sometimes I ask myself why. Maybe if the sun goes dormant I'll take over. Lmao. I'm not overweight. Just active, hot blooded and thick skinned I guess. LOL. Just immuned to it too.

I've had people tell me I have heat coming off me.

Stand outside in short sleeves for 1 minute. Go inside for 5 minutes. Then go back outside again in short sleeves. I bet you'll be able to do 2 minutes now. Same concept. You get used to it after time of going outside your confort zone and eventually doesn't bother you for a while. I been doing it since a kid. Or maybe its just my thick blood.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:47 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Sometimes I ask myself why. Maybe if the sun goes dormant I'll take over. Lmao. I'm not overweight. Just active, hot blooded and thick skinned I guess. LOL. Just immuned to it too.
Last summer I found I was not able to enjoy Florida as much after my physical fitness had declined. Despite liking the feel of heat I quickly became tired out. So sometimes there is truth to that correlation. Of course, it was also the hottest week of the year there with every day hitting 93º or higher.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Last summer I found I was not able to enjoy Florida as much after my physical fitness had declined. Despite liking the feel of heat I quickly became tired out. So sometimes there is truth to that correlation. Of course, it was also the hottest week of the year there with every day hitting 93º or higher.
I agree with you guys. Staying active and being healthy is pretty helpful when acclimatizing to very cold or hot conditions.

I have no problem with this during winter since it's my favorite season and I like to experience the cold and snow, but during summer the heat/humidity leaves me feeling lethargic and lazy.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:41 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Questions:

1) Why has the Mid-Atlantic (DC) been gyped this winter while NY-BOS have been gold mines?

2) Why is it Boston has gotten so much more snow, relatively speaking, than nearby Providence/Hartford?
1) My post from earlier in the month:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin34 View Post
From NWS Sterling VA: Persistent north-ward track of storms this winter can be blamed on ridging in SE US.
The cold has had a presence, just not when low pressure tracks thru; D.C. thru Philly have been consistently on the warm side of many storms.
2) You'll have to ask Cambium on that one.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Questions:

1) Why has the Mid-Atlantic (DC) been gyped this winter while NY-BOS have been gold mines?

2) Why is it Boston has gotten so much more snow, relatively speaking, than nearby Providence/Hartford?
Quick answers.

1) Polar Jet Stream wasn't strong enough to stay south of Mid Atlantic. SE Ridge strong. That looks to change this week.

2) storms blowing up a tad to late and too far for Hartford and the storm track favoring Boston even with a few clippers and ocean effect snows helped Boston too. Just the setup of the storms and more enhancement for Boston area. Each storm has its reasons why so this was the quick answer.

Not everyone wins/loses with each storm.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,616 times
NWS Pittsburgh shows SREF output that could be historic in duration for February (since at least 1936, the first full year where the official climo was at an airport, in that case KAGC) if verified.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,354,882 times
TWC forecast for the Southeastern US Monday night.

Attached Thumbnails
2014-15 Winter Thread (Northern Hemisphere)-untitled.png  

Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
TWC forecast for the Southeastern US Monday night.
Good luck, keep us posted!

------------------

The South getting the winter stuff as well... Winter Storm alerts for Snow, Sleet, & Ice Sunday night- Monday

Birmingham, AL had the 3rd most February snow total last year with 3". It was since 1960 that they had more than 1.7" for the month of February! 2yrs in row now?

Old 02-14-2015, 08:04 AM

7 of the Top 10 coldest winters at Islip Long Island came after year 2000.

Currently 4th coldest winter at 30.7° (records since 1984)

on pace to match the memorable winter of 1993-94!

2002-03: 29.3°
1993-94: 29.4°
2010-11: 30.4°
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather