Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
None of your locations can trump our Campbell Island´s 640 or fewer hours of sunshine a year.However I´ve been pleased to be enjoying some Brazilian warmth with highs 29C-35C, coldest nights never dropped below about 19C, and experienced about 8 thunderstorms in the last 3 weeks. Several produced torrential downpours, one of them about 40mm in 30 minutes.35C in Rio yesterday, more like 40C+ over tarmac areas. Back to a much cooler NZ in a few days.
You wouldn't have liked that - the rain that is but the warmth would have compensated for it. Is it normal for Rio to get large numbers of thunderstorms at this time of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
You wouldn't have liked that - the rain that is but the warmth would have compensated for it. Is it normal for Rio to get large numbers of thunderstorms at this time of the year?
Didn't mind, as in both Rio and the savannah country inland there was quite a lot of sunshine (the inland areas are usually pretty cloudy in the wet season). Only briefly saw rain in Rio, thunderstorms there are much less common and the wet-dry season contrast is much less marked.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Melbourne has one of the crappiest climates on Earth with it's constant cloud and cold even in "summer" (more like neo-winter).

Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne has one of the crappiest climates on Earth with it's constant cloud and cold even in "summer" (more like neo-winter).
That may be, but, your summer are still a bit warmer than Seattle's and your winters warmer as well - not to mention Seattle get roughly twice as much rain.

Overall though the summers sound rather similar so I can understand your comment.

Climatology Comparison for Melbourne, Australia - weather.com

Ken

Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That may be, but, your summer are still a bit warmer than Seattle's and your winters warmer as well - not to mention Seattle get roughly twice as much rain.

Overall though the summers sound rather similar so I can understand your comment.

Climatology Comparison for Melbourne, Australia - weather.com

Ken
Melbourne is without a doubt the Seattle of Australia....in terms of cloudiness and the number of rain days. Some people here have deluded thoughs like "rain makes the city look better", which is their defence of the crap climate here, when in reality they probably hate the climate and simply can't stand the fact that places like Sydney are far warmer and sunnier but can't admit it, so they come up with tripe like this.

Summers here are lukewarm at best, and thats during the day. At night it's often too cold to be out in a shirt.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I guess I have a hard time understanding why it is so bad, a coastal place after all. Lots of people would love to have 12 months of temps where the variance is only 20 degrees!

I have to deal with the fact that Two Rivers has more clouds and fog than NE Illinois but being blocks from Lake Michigan instead of 2.5 miles makes a major difference plus being 140 miles north.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:15 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
It isn't a terrible climate. As Ken said, it's warmer and dryer than Seattle.

Forecast over the next ten days looks sunny and mild. I'm sure some people in the Northern U.S. could go for that!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It isn't a terrible climate. As Ken said, it's warmer and dryer than Seattle.

Forecast over the next ten days looks sunny and mild. I'm sure some people in the Northern U.S. could go for that!
Keep in mind it's winter in the Northern U.S. and summer in Melbourne. Many places in the Northern U.S. have warmer summers than Melbourne (on average).

Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I guess I have a hard time understanding why it is so bad, a coastal place after all. Lots of people would love to have 12 months of temps where the variance is only 20 degrees!
I'm not sure if I read the stats right,
but I think it's possible in Melbourne for January's monthly average high of 95 F/35 C (hottest 1-in-10 January)
or average monthly high of 68 F/20 C (coolest 1-in-10 January)

If I read that right, then there's probably very few parts of North America that can compare in "summer variability" to Melbourne.
If I had to guess, Toronto's July 1-in-10 hottest/coolest averages for example would probably be something like 85F/29 C and 75 F/24 C.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm not sure if I read the stats right,
but I think it's possible in Melbourne for January's monthly average high of 95 F/35 C (hottest 1-in-10 January)
or average monthly high of 68 F/20 C (coolest 1-in-10 January)

If I read that right, then there's probably very few parts of North America that can compare in "summer variability" to Melbourne.
If I had to guess, Toronto's July 1-in-10 hottest/coolest averages for example would probably be something like 85F/29 C and 75 F/24 C.
You are misunderstanding.
According to the site, Melbournes' average high in January is 78.
I will say the statistic saying that Seattle's highest temperature being 96 is WRONG. This last summer we got up to 103 - which is a a temp I NEVER EVER IMAGINED we'd hit here in Seattle.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather