Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: A low elevation tundra climate vs. a low elevation humid subtropical climate at the
Prince Edward Islands 10 10.00%
Lugano 90 90.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lugano isn't subtropical, and that is the flaw in using vegetation alone.
Warmest month exceeds 22C for Lugano, so it just squeaks by as subtropical under Koppen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 12:12 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Warmest month exceeds 22C for Lugano, so it just squeaks by as subtropical under Koppen.

Yeah and New York, Philly and DC are subtropical by Koppen, and we know how most on here feel about that. No winter warmth in Lugano, just protective mountains allowing some palm trees to grow.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah and New York, Philly and DC are subtropical by Koppen, and we know how most on here feel about that. No winter warmth in Lugano, just protective mountains allowing some palm trees to grow.
I think Lugano is subtropical because the rainfall pattern indicates a fundamental change to that of oceanic climates, where fronts from polar low pressure zones are a feature year round. The rainfall pattern indicates that convection becomes the primary cause in summer rainfall, which isn't an oceanic trait.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:34 PM

325 posts, read 217,048 times
Quote:
Frankly we shouldn't care about what people thinks but what is right considering Earth climate in a generic way, if Lugano has a 22,1°C July average it is subtropical, like New York, Philadelphia, Washington D.C. and many other cities.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
I think Lugano is subtropical because the rainfall pattern indicates a fundamental change to that of oceanic climates, where fronts from polar low pressure zones are a feature year round. The rainfall pattern indicates that convection becomes the primary cause in summer rainfall, which isn't an oceanic trait.

Is NYC subtropical?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Is NYC subtropical?
Yep, I think it is. It's quite close to the Dfa winter boundary, but it still qualifies.

While it's winter is quite a bit colder than I would like, I can't say that it seems like a continental winter.

Last edited by Joe90; 07-07-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 12:39 PM

155 posts, read 150,038 times
Lugano for me...following the links to both places, 90" of rain / year in Prince Edward Island is too much, and 60" rain / year or so in Lugano sounds much better, especially for the Alps nearby for skiing, etc.

I could see Lugano as "humid subtropical", if winter warmth were not needed for that, only lack of / moderated winter freezing. Ditto parts of NYC, Philly, DC, Tulsa, etc by that definition. As to Prince Edward Island as "tundra", something in terms of "cool oceanic" is more like it. Their average lows in winter are higher than mine, and their record winter lows are much higher, and my area is a "subtropical desert" or at least a "warm temperate desert" with hot summers...tundra is more like above timberline in Colorado or the Alaska north slope.

Koppen...too many loose items in just the US to make it into much useful, though Bailey tried in his ecoregions.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:54 PM

795 posts, read 739,746 times
Quote:
Quote:
Is NYC subtropical?
Yep, I think it is. It's quite close to the Dfa winter boundary, but it still qualifies.

While it's winter is quite a bit colder than I would like, I can't say that it seems like a continental winter.
I prefer Trewartha to define what's subtropical and what isn't: 8 or more months where the mean temperature is above 10°C. NYC has 7 so it is considered temperate.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
I prefer Trewartha to define what's subtropical and what isn't: 8 or more months where the mean temperature is above 10°C. NYC has 7 so it is considered temperate.
I think it depends on what you regard subtropical to mean -is it just temperature related, or is it about the factors which cause a place to have the climate it does? NYC might fail under Trewartha, but it's warm season shows a clear change in climate dynamics, with a strong shift to air masses that are very subtropical in origin.

My climate by comparison, is subtropical under Trewartha, but the summer season will still get cold fronts from the polar low.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:19 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,776 times
Lugano is an obvious choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather